NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-20-2018, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
You need to sell that Vandy to Scott...
I assume he got one that recently showed up at auction. If not, I'd be happy to send it home.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
I assume he got one that recently showed up at auction. If not, I'd be happy to send it home.
Hi Doug & Dewey,
I actually do own a copy of this photo as well.
That being said, I appreciate both of you guys for thinking of me!
Old 02-21-2018, 09:29 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Picked up these 2 WWII programs. Bummed that I lost the other 2 (which were larger size). If the winner of those is here, I'd love to see if there's a deal to be made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Navy vs Major League All-Stars Program 1.jpg (72.4 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg 1944 Navy vs Army All Stars Program 1.jpg (75.1 KB, 383 views)
Old 02-22-2018, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
Picked up these 2 WWII programs. Bummed that I lost the other 2 (which were larger size). If the winner of those is here, I'd love to see if there's a deal to be made.
Congrats Jeff, I had my eye on those scorebooks as well. I'm very happy that you won those. All of these 1944 Central Championship scorebooks are exceedingly tough to find. To be able to score two is a HR IMHO.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:33 AM

Default 1944 Central Pacific Area Baseball Championship Scorebook-Game 4

I'm sorry Jeff, I suppose I am guilty as charged...

I was happy to finally be able to add a nice scorebook from game 4 of the 1944 Central Pacific Area Baseball Championship in Hawaii.
Originally the brainchild of Admiral Chester Nimitz, this WWII baseball championship pitted the Navy All-Stars vs. the Army All-Stars. Due to many MLB stars entering WWII to support the war effort, Nimitz realized that creating this Championship Series would be an excellent idea to entertain the troops and boost morale.

Game 4 was essentially the Series clincher for the Navy which ran the table mostly on the back of great pitching from two MLB pitchers that would hurl two no-hitters in a single season: Johnny "Double No-Hit" Vander Meer in 1938 and Virgil "Fire" Trucks in 1952. This game was attended by 10,000 enthusiastic servicemen that were fortunate enough to witness the game played on September 26th, 1944.
Here is a recap of the clinching 4th game of the series:

HONOLULU – Winning the first four games, the navy captured the mythical championship of the armed forces from the Army in the Pacific World’s Series, chiefly through superior pitching. Although the Bluejackets won the title by the sweep, the three other contests in the series were played for the benefit of men in other sections of this area.
A home run by Ken Sears in the first half of the twelfth inning at Fort Schofield, Oahu, clinched the third contest, 4 to 3, for the Navy, and the Bluejackets made it four straight at Naval Air Station, Kaneohe Bay on September 26th, 10 to 5.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 02-22-2018 at 03:55 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:31 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
I'm sorry Jeff, I suppose I am guilty as charged...

I was happy to finally be able to add a nice scorebook from game 4 of the 1944 Central Pacific Area Baseball Championship in Hawaii.
Originally the brainchild of Admiral Chester Nimitz, this WWII baseball championship pitted the Navy All-Stars vs. the Army All-Stars. Due to many MLB stars entering WWII to support the war effort, Nimitz realized that creating this Championship Series would be an excellent idea to entertain the troops and boost morale.

Game 4 was essentially the Series clincher for the Navy which ran the table mostly on the back of great pitching from two MLB pitchers that would hurl two no-hitters in a single season: Johnny "Double No-Hit" Vander Meer in 1938 and Virgil "Fire" Trucks in 1952. This game was attended by 10,000 enthusiastic servicemen that were fortunate enough to witness the game played on September 26th, 1944.
Here is a recap of the clinching 4th game of the series:

HONOLULU – Winning the first four games, the navy captured the mythical championship of the armed forces from the Army in the Pacific World’s Series, chiefly through superior pitching. Although the Bluejackets won the title by the sweep, the three other contests in the series were played for the benefit of men in other sections of this area.
A home run by Ken Sears in the first half of the twelfth inning at Fort Schofield, Oahu, clinched the third contest, 4 to 3, for the Navy, and the Bluejackets made it four straight at Naval Air Station, Kaneohe Bay on September 26th, 10 to 5.
Definitely can't begrudge you that one for your Vander Meer collection. The one's I won were the smaller ones (only 4 pages) and one was from a different series, but still definitely pleased to have won them. I find these programs and barnstorming programs to be extremely cool. On some level in my mind programs are really only for "official" games and it still surprises me sometimes when I come across these items that they even exist.

Congrats on a great pickup!
Old 02-22-2018, 07:50 PM

Thanks Jeff!
This Championship Series crosses a few collecting themes that I think are very cool. WWII baseball, a series dominated by double no-hit pitchers, Vander Meer specifically, the deep talent of MLB players, etc.
BTW,
I believe we have a duty to carry this WWII baseball collecting theme forward, FWIW. When history isn't preserved, people forget...
Scott

Last edited by Scott Garner; 02-23-2018 at 04:24 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:45 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Default Babe Ruth 1st edition

Good weekend for pickups...unfortunately not signed...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Babe Ruth book.jpeg (2).jpg (82.7 KB, 213 views)

Last edited by chalupacollects; 02-25-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:15 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default 1948-49 wiz kids type 1 panoramic with “Little Mickey” also with PERIOD SIG

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 02-27-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:39 PM
Paul

Ben,

Great addition to the collection. Probably the only one out their.

Paul
Old 02-26-2018, 06:45 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptr002 View Post
Ben,

Paul
Thanks Paul. National this year? It will be here before we know it all of a sudden.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 02-27-2018, 01:31 AM
Doug Goodman

I was able to add 23 new M113 supplements to my collection this month, giving me a total of 937 (and counting) different ones.

The best of the additions would have to be these:
Old 02-27-2018, 06:33 AM
Paul

I hope I can make it but I'm not sure yet.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:21 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptr002 View Post
Ben,

Paul
Yeah, that's stunning.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:31 AM
Mike

Great pictures!

Mike
Old 02-28-2018, 10:44 AM
Jonathan Sterling

Doug I have only seen two Baseball Magazine Gehrigs before a batting and a portrait. Never saw the fielding pose before it must be tough congrats..