NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Default T206 Honus Wagner-Piedmont

Posted By: sagard

You can trust Connelly to run around NYC with the card, but you can't trust PSA or SGC to authenticate it?

Old 08-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: sgross

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh .... come on fellers’ ..... don’t try being so politically correct.

This has ALWAYS been a "race card" card. Race is the only reason these two jokers got their story told in the first place. Can you imagine if one of “us” (you know, old, fat, bald, white, smelly, tee-shirt wearing losers) walked into out local newspaper (be it the NY Times or EBF Gazette), and tried to get a story on our new Wagner find ??? Hell, the receptionist and security guard would laugh us out the door before we got by the front desk.

Sad: Two trusting soles who, once again, are beaten down by the man, with his evil knowledge and experience. Give me a break. They are an embarrassment to anyone who still believes in the legitimate struggles of the African-American in the USA. The absolute ignorance of their actions sets social Black images back to Stimey settin’ on the stove wipen’ his brow.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: William Heitman

I know my memory isn't what it used to be, but I believe Lelands is run by Joshua Evans, not Leland.

Old 08-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Administrator

I was shocked to see in Joe's posting that Capital company chose to hi-jack the name I gave to T206 on the cover of my 1980 book--T206 The Monster. Now on point. I have been paid some pretty good money and been flown to far away places to authenticate a "Wagner." One such trip yielded a Wagner, Boston AL! I even spotted a fake at a dealer's table at a show, which he immediately took off his table and returned to the person he bought it from who gladly accepted it back "only after I talk to Heitman." Of the 20 to 25 that I have been asked to authenticate, only one was real. It is impossible to authenticate a Wagner without seeing it in person and examining it. But I will say that a picture can reveal a fake. I have been shown pictures of what purported to be a Wagner along with an offer to fly me somewhere to examine the card. Many times I have told the owner of a reprint that he need not bother to pay me to be told that his card is not an original. Having said this, let me add that the pictures I've seen of this card reveal just what it really is.

Old 08-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Isn't Joshua Evans' middle name Leland? Josh?

DJ

Old 08-10-2006, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

William, The picture reveal what it really is? Not that it needs to be said, but you never said it was a reprint.

People said it was a million dollar wound. But the government must keep that money, cause I ain't never seen a penny of it.

Old 08-10-2006, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Yes, Josh's middle name is Leland.

Jay

A good friend will come bail you out of jail. A true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn, that was fun."

Old 08-10-2006, 07:03 PM
Administrator

What I did say is that you can't authenticate an original from pictures, but that you can sometimes spot fakes and reprints from pictures.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chad

If Bryant Gumbel and HBO make these jackasses into sympathetic characters then the only justice would be if ol' Bryant himself buys the card. I could live with that. Really, this is all just bizarre. I think I'll scribble my very own Picasso and then spend the next ten years trying to convince everyone it's real. Hell, I'm not going to get famous doing anything that takes real talent.

--Chad

Old 08-10-2006, 07:21 PM
Administrator

There's no way in hell that card is a 4 even if it was real. That may be the craziest part of the Post article.

--Chad

Old 08-10-2006, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Chad, your point is good. Even if the card was genuine, I don't see
how it would grade a 4. My guess is it grade a 1, if lucky a 2 by PSA.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Moss

Hasn't this carnival act become stale yet? For anyone to give the card, the auction house, or the owners of this card any credibility does a disservice to the collecting community. This tripartate of misinformation and apparent deception should just go away never to be heard of again. Still, the entire episode has been a good laugh, but alas, we must laugh at ourselves for wasting oxygen and time discussing this matter. It has been educational, the "scientific" research is a great sales tool, and I'm sure that it will be replicated on the next ebay sale of an Elvis image discovered in the hardened yoke of a fried egg.

C'mon gentlemen, if you're that sure that the card is real, and Barry has placed such a generous offer/wager on the table........what's to lose? It's put up, or shut up time.

I'll tell you what, I'll sweeten the pot by 5K.......now it's 15K against your single dollar. Whadya say? Those who know me here will testify that I am a man of my word and good for it. The same can be said for Barry.

Let's rock!!

Edited to add. When (not if) the card is proven to be fake, you agree never to surface in the card collecting world again and the auction house agrees never to sell or offer for sale any baseball card or memorabilia ever again. We have to get something out of this wager other than the satisfaction of seeing you look even more foolish than you already are.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Its funny how my name (fkw) is in this a few times. All I did was write the auctionhouse (the one selling it on Bay) and tell them how to tell it was a fake. ha ha Oh well...

BTW I am not a part of "t206museum.com" in anyway (its a nice site though). I am a fairly small fish in the vintage card circle, but do have a bit of experience in spotting a vintage doctored reprint.

Old 08-11-2006, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Paul- thanks for the additional backing; I guess we'll have to split that dollar. But I doubt we'll hear from these two birds anyway.

Old 08-11-2006, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott T

The last time I saw a description of a product that misleading was "Crunchy Frog" from the Whizzo Chocolate Company!

"I think it's be more appropriate if the box bore a great red label warning lark's vomit."

Scott

Old 08-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Freddie Sawyer

You two are total baffoons and thieves. People like you are trash. You obviously dropped out of school. Reading your writing, I can tell. I've never seen more horrendous writing. You sound like someone that lives in the projects that wants to mooch off whitey while bad mouthing whitey. Take your racist remarks and shove them up your ghetto you trash. It's sad that people like you are allowed to live while innocent people die everyday. Stop smoking your goat weed and wake up trash. By the way, clean and clip your fingernails man. They're disgusting.

I don't hear you talking about how the front of your card doesn't match the real Wagners. You obviously took the back off a real T206 card, and put it on a fake Wagner and then tried to age it. You're trying to find a sucker, but the sucker is in the mirror when you got suckered buying that card for $1500 you racist idiot.

Old 08-11-2006, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Condition Report

There is a blemish near the top border on the front. The back has dark overall toning and the printing is off center.

I copied that from the ebay listing. A blemish? The card looks like my mother washed it with her pantyhose and a bucket of sharp rocks. A blemish! This thing is really helping me chortle the way through the work day.

Old 08-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: walkscott

I don't get why anyone is discussing anything with the card's owners. You need to keep in mind that they are thieves, pure and simple. They aren't having the card graded because it is a fake - they know that, we know that, end of story. They are trying to screw someone and have been building a case purely so that they will NOT have to return money when the owner gets the card and realizes he/she has been had.

The only real debate should be how to rid the hobby of this tripe.

Old 08-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed McCollum

did it get pulled, and by whom?

Old 08-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Just 2 more days to get your snipes ready!

--Chad

Old 08-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jackgoodman

I'm still able to find it:

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=250015375445&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Pulling it would be the right thing for Ebay to do, tho.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/SaleSearch?sofocus=bs&satitle=T206+Wagner&sacat=64482%26catref%3DC5&%3Bsspagename=h%3Ah%3Aadvsearch%3AUS&from=R7&nojspr=y&pfid=0&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&fcl=2&frpp=50

There is a T206 Wagner reprint with an opening bid of one cent closing in 15 minutes. No takers. And it hasn't been tipped in tea/mud/whatever like the $300,000 version.

As usual, there are tons of these reprints, labeled as such, on ebay every day. Sometimes in lots of 50. It's laughable to see the worst looking one listed at $300,000.

It's a puzzle why ebay hasn't pulled the Connelly lot. But it looks like ebay bidders are smarter than the ebay executives.

Old 08-12-2006, 03:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

Not sure whether we helped their cause or not, but, lemme ask this:

If you cheated on a test, would you be proud of your results? Likewise, if you took a medical test for a certain condition, would you want the true results or not?

Knock on wood, haven't been there, but, if one was, do you want the truth or do you want to live a lie?