NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-22-2014, 01:06 PM
Adam Napolitano

Default Master set vs. Regular set

I'm starting to collect a set of t205s and I cannot figure out what the difference between a master set and a regular set. Can anyone help me out?
Old 07-22-2014, 01:26 PM
Sean Costello

"Master set" refers to all the variations, such as the Hoblitzel no-stats card. I don't collect T205s, so you need one of the guys who do so to list all the variations. "Basic" just means one card of each player.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:43 PM

Default School or be schooled

I believe the definition of a basic set indicates all the different images in a set. Thus certain players in the T205 (Breshnahan, Collins, Wallace etc.) that have different poses, such as Mouth Open and Mouth Closed for Collins, would be considered part of the basic set, whereas team changes (I don't think there are any in T205) or variations in back write-up (such as the various Hoblitzell cards) would not be included in a 'basic' set.

Am I correct about this, or do I have retake Vintage 101 to get my facts straight?

Brian
Old 07-22-2014, 02:03 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

The master set includes all the variations, while the normal set is just the basic cards.

Master versus regular set is straight forward with Topps and Bowman sets, because the cards are numbered on back. A Topps 200 card set is all the basic cards #1 through #200 (a total of 200 cards), while the master set would include the variations, replacement cards, etc. The master set might have 220 cards.

Also, the card that is normally picked for the basic set is the most common version. The additions for the masters set are usually the rarer, harder to find variations.

A simple example is the 1969 Topps #500 Mickey Mantle that comes with white and yellow lettering variations. The regular set would include the far more common yellow letter Mantle, while the master set would require both cards.

Most 1969 sets you see for sale and auction are the basic sets, not masters sets-- and most collectors are satisfied having completed the basic set as there are already a lot of cards in the basic set. 1969 Topps masters sets up for auction are rare, because there are a lot of variations in that issue, including tough ones.

Beckett and SCD annual price guides list all the accepted cards for the basic and master sets. The above mentioned Mickey Mantle would be checklisted as cards #500a and card #500b.

A master set includes just the finished/issued cards, not proofs, original art, scraps and printing press anomalies such as miscuts, blank fronts and ghosts. If you also want to collect those along the way, that of course is fine.

Last edited by drcy; 07-22-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:06 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

According to PSA, this is the checklist for the Basic set: Basic, and here is the Master: Master
Old 07-22-2014, 02:07 PM
Adam Napolitano

So the list on PSA the price guide. Is that a master or regular
Old 07-22-2014, 02:08 PM
Adam Napolitano

Thank you very much all of you.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:24 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I got a set of fronts, didn't worry about the back spelling