NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-13-2015, 09:35 PM
Al

Default Open For Bidding: Love of the Game's Summer Set Builder's Auction

Hi Everyone:

Just a quick note that LOTG's Summertime Set Builder's Auction is live and open for bidding.

This is a fun little auction, with something for everyone - lots of small groups and single cards to fill in holes in your sets, some nice autographed cards and photos, a couple of unique memorabilia items, and even some shiny stuff this time.

Highlights include a nice '33 Goudey #181 Ruth, a T205 Matty, and a cool group of vintage pinback buttons from defunct major league teams.

The auction closes on Saturday, May 30. Get your bids in now at http://loveofthegameauctions.com/catalog.aspx

Just as a reminder, we have a monster catalog auction coming up this July which will be closing just after the National. Stay tuned for more info on that, and good luck with the Set Builder's auction!

-Al
Old 05-13-2015, 10:39 PM
Phil Garry

Pretty weak effort, might have been better to just wait and put this material in the bigger July auction. Just my opinion.............
Old 05-13-2015, 11:09 PM
Barry Arnold

Default Al

Your auctions are always great fun with some interesting offerings for the set builders and type collectors.
I already have my handful of bids in.
Congrats and all the best,
Barry
Old 05-13-2015, 11:21 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Nice Al, some great items.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:56 PM
Dan Studebaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Pretty weak effort, might have been better to just wait and put this material in the bigger July auction. Just my opinion.............
There are a variety of schools of thought on this. You imply that it cheapens the brand to have an auction like this. LOTG makes a clear differentiation between premier auctions and set builder's auctions. They even go so far as to have lower buyer's premiums for their set builder's auction. The other school of thought is it gets to include buyers who might not have the bankroll at this time to participate in the premium auctions.

LOTG is not unique in this regard as Mile High has a very similar model and Heritage with one of the best brands around has their weekly internet auctions.

Outside our little world, Mercedes has introduced lower price offerings and I have not seen their brand diminish.

I think this type of auction helps include bidders now that might not otherwise be able to participate as well as allowing LOTG to accept a larger range of items without requiring the consignor to break up their consignment.

Last edited by dstudeba; 05-14-2015 at 06:25 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-14-2015, 12:34 AM
D@rek H.ogue

Sweet auction Al! Nice variety.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:36 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Good job Al, good luck with the auction.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:39 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstudeba View Post
There are a variety of schools of thought on this. You imply that it cheapens the brand to have an auction like this. LOTG makes a clear differentiation between premier auctions and set builder's auctions. They even got so far as to have lower buyer's premiums for their set builder's auction. The other school of thought is it gets to include buyers who might not have the bankroll at this time to participate in the premium auctions.

LOTG is not unique in this regard as Mile High has a very similar model and Heritage with one of the best brands around has their weekly internet auctions.

Outside our little world, Mercedes has introduced lower price offerings and I have not seen their brand diminish.

I think this type of auction helps include bidders now that might not otherwise be able to participate as well as allowing LOTG to accept a larger range of items without requiring the consignor to break up their consignment.

+1 and well said, Dan.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:42 AM
Brian T.

Bids placed. Good luck, Al!
Old 05-14-2015, 06:49 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I think Al's auction model makes sense because it's not all high or low end material -- so everyone has an interest instead of just some of the market. Plus he's honest which makes him a rarity in the auction business. Probably makes sense to support the honest guys instead of gushing over the criminals who have been stealing from all of us for years -- some of whom still are.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:07 AM
Al Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
+1 and well said, Dan.
+ 2
Old 05-14-2015, 07:56 AM
T0NY @

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
i think al's auction model makes sense because it's not all high or low end material -- so everyone has an interest instead of just some of the market. Plus he's honest which makes him a rarity in the auction business. Probably makes sense to support the honest guys instead of gushing over the criminals who have been stealing from all of us for years -- some of whom still are.
Bingo!!! Good luck Al.......

Last edited by 3-2-count; 05-14-2015 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:03 AM

I'm a working father with three young children with little (if any) disposable income. REA is only eye candy for me and I don't even look at many other auctions because they are out of my league. I for one appreciate Al's efforts and think his hybrid model is the wave of the future in the auction industry.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:07 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
You forgot to ask him about advertising in your book?

PS...bid placed and not a bad little auction for guys looking for collector level cards...

Last edited by Leon; 05-14-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:20 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Another stellar looking collector auction from Al, hope to see more like this!
Old 05-14-2015, 08:27 AM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

I placed 3 bids! Thanks Al for another great auction.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 05-14-2015, 08:56 AM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Not only placed my bids, but already been outbid on all of them.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 05-14-2015, 09:25 AM
Peter Spaeth

I have never understood the term collector level/collector grade. Aren't we all collectors?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:00 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I have never understood the term collector level/collector grade. Aren't we all collectors?
Some are investors and don't normally go for more entry level (less expensive) cards. So, no, we aren't all collectors. I know a few members that aren't collectors.

ps..for me, I mostly collector lower grade cards....collector grade (to me)

Last edited by Leon; 05-14-2015 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Some are investors and don't normally go for more entry level (less expensive) cards. So, no, we aren't all collectors. I know a few members that aren't collectors.

ps..for me, I mostly collector lower grade cards....collector grade (to me)
Fair enough but the implication of the term is that higher grade cards are NOT collector cards. I disagree.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:11 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Happy to have an alternative to ebay, glad LOTG runs auctions for all budgets.

Phil with negative comments like that, good luck getting more to advertise in your book.....
Old 05-14-2015, 12:13 PM
Eric
Eric

Default Good job Al

This auction certainly does not have the same caliber offerings as some of the big auctions, but that is what I love about it. Lots of opportunities to get some neat stuff without over-extending the budget. You have a great thing going here Al!
Old 05-14-2015, 12:16 PM
Luke Lyon

Yeah, when I came back into the hobby about 5 years ago, I saw the term "collector grade" and assumed it must mean the really high grade cards. I was and still am a bit confused that it only refers to lower grade cards.

I collect mostly lower grade, but that's just because with my budget I have to choose between a few high grade cards or a bunch of lower grade cards. Easy decision for me.

I guess it's probably because we have the term "high end" for the high grade stuff, and "low end" doesn't sound very appealing, so someone came up with "collector grade".
Old 05-14-2015, 12:25 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Fair enough but the implication of the term is that higher grade cards are NOT collector cards. I disagree.
That is your misconception not mine.

ps. I am in no way trying to disparage high grade collecting. As evidenced in my collection going to auction, I own a few. But I don't think of high grade and collector friendly grade in the same breath. Both are great ways to collect. I love them both, but collector grade a bit better.

Last edited by Leon; 05-14-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:41 PM
Al

Quote:
I guess it's probably because we have the term "high end" for the high grade stuff, and "low end" doesn't sound very appealing
I LOVE the term "collector grade." The first time I read it was here on Net54, years ago. The implication, to me, was that all the stuff is GREAT, regardless of what condition it's in, and collectors like us are happy to pick up the cards they need, regardless of grade. Better to have a hole in the card than a hole in the collection, as the saying goes.

It's a much better way of describing cards than "beater," or "low-grade," in my opinion, because to me, those cards that have been loved and handled are just as awesome as the beauties that haven't. If you buy one of those cards, you shouldn't feel like it's somehow inferior. You wanted a card, and you got it, and it's awesome!

In any event, thanks for all the positive comments in this thread. The idea behind the Set Builder's auction is to be able to present lower-dollar lots that are still cool and unique and worthy of a collector's attention. In a lot of ways, it's more fun to run the Set Builder's auction for me - lower-dollar lots means more people can participate, the lower buyer's premium and cheap shipping just means it's a fun auction for everyone. From a consignor's standpoint, it's an easy way to clean out the dupes box with fees that are the same or less than eBay's. That's sort of the idea behind the Set Builder's auction. It's just a fun thing we do in-between the bigger auctions because auctions are fun and cool, and because everyone loves getting cards in the mail!

-Al

Last edited by Al C.risafulli; 05-14-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:03 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
I LOVE the term "collector grade." The first time I read it was here on Net54, years ago. The implication, to me, was that all the stuff is GREAT, regardless of what condition it's in, and collectors like us are happy to pick up the cards they need, regardless of grade. Better to have a hole in the card than a hole in the collection, as the saying goes.

It's a much better way of describing cards than "beater," or "low-grade," in my opinion, because to me, those cards that have been loved and handled are just as awesome as the beauties that haven't. If you buy one of those cards, you shouldn't feel like it's somehow inferior. You wanted a card, and you got it, and it's awesome!

In any event, thanks for all the positive comments in this thread. The idea behind the Set Builder's auction is to be able to present lower-dollar lots that are still cool and unique and worthy of a collector's attention. In a lot of ways, it's more fun to run the Set Builder's auction for me - lower-dollar lots means more people can participate, the lower buyer's premium and cheap shipping just means it's a fun auction for everyone. From a consignor's standpoint, it's an easy way to clean out the dupes box with fees that are the same or less than eBay's. That's sort of the idea behind the Set Builder's auction. It's just a fun thing we do in-between the bigger auctions because auctions are fun and cool, and because everyone loves getting cards in the mail!

-Al
Well said. I always seem to find something great in LOTG auctions. Super job as always Al!!
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:33 PM
Brian

LOTG is one of my favorite auction houses
Old 05-14-2015, 02:48 PM

Good luck, Al...nice auction.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:30 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by three25hits View Post