NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-15-2015, 04:21 PM
Andrew Rott

Default Catcher's mask and mitt help

Hey,

I hope this is the correct section to put this in. I recently acquired my grandfather's catchers mask and mitt. I'm looking to gather any info on these that I can. I know the condition isn't that great and I think they're from the 40's but that's about all I know.

If someone more educated in the topic could help, that would be great, thanks!

Andrew

Old 06-15-2015, 04:26 PM
Alan Elefson

Hi-
They are actually both older than the 1940s. I believe they both date to the 1920s or maybe a little earlier. The glove's patch is missing, but maybe one of the experts here knows which company it could be from. The mask is probably more difficult to determine who made it. Very cool that these came from your grandfather!

Alan
Old 06-15-2015, 05:57 PM
Andrew Rott

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelefson View Post
Hi-
They are actually both older than the 1940s. I believe they both date to the 1920s or maybe a little earlier. The glove's patch is missing, but maybe one of the experts here knows which company it could be from. The mask is probably more difficult to determine who made it. Very cool that these came from your grandfather!

Alan
Alan,

I appreciate the help! That would be pretty cool if it were older. He definitely used them quite a bit, making it hard to identify now. I wish I could just ask him!
Old 06-15-2015, 06:17 PM
Joe

Agreed, I would say 1920 too. Do you know about when your grandfather was born? Not much value, but priceless as a family heirloom. Very cool!
Old 06-15-2015, 06:42 PM
Andrew Rott

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector View Post
Agreed, I would say 1920 too. Do you know about when your grandfather was born? Not much value, but priceless as a family heirloom. Very cool!
Thanks! I agree that there isn't much monetary value but it's really cool to now own. I need to find a way to display it. I'm not 100% sure but I believe he was born around 1921.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:08 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Very cool. I built this shadow box to house my glove and mask. I think yours would do well in something like this in my opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (78.9 KB, 110 views)
Old 06-15-2015, 09:44 PM
Skip

The best part is that you know these belonged to your grandfather - lots of family/baseball DNA in your possession that needs to be displayed. Awesome!
Old 06-16-2015, 10:57 AM
Andrew Rott

I love the shadowbox idea! I'm gonna have to draw something up and see what I can come up with.

It's definitely the coolest thing I own. It's just another thing about my grandpa and family history that I love!

Now I have another question. I do want to display them, but is there anything like light that I need to worry about. If so, how can I prevent the natural elements from ruining these pieces?
Old 06-16-2015, 12:58 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by arott23 View Post
Now I have another question. I do want to display them, but is there anything like light that I need to worry about. If so, how can I prevent the natural elements from ruining these pieces?
I don't think you really need to worry about that. These pieces are beat to sh-t already - BUT in good way, they are full of character! As long as you keep them dry and out of direct sun light beating on them all day from a window, there is nothing the natural elements can do that has not already been done.