NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-11-2012, 07:03 PM
Bert Wright

Default Babe Ruth in Nebraska? Help needed

I took Doug Goodman's advice and changed the title of this thread to be more specific. Actually I just created a new thread since I wasn't sure how to change the thread title. Anyway, our media her in Scottsbluff, Nebraska is looking for some information on Babe Ruth barnstorming in western Nebraska, specifically Mitchell or Scottsbluff. Legend has it...
In the other thread, someone sent a forum link that listed Scottsbluff as a city Ruth came to barnstorm. I'm hoping someone out there has more info. I figured if anybody could dig that up, it would be you guys! Thanks for your help!
Bert Wright
Old 01-12-2012, 06:37 AM
Bruce Esser

My understanding is that he played a game in Scottsbluff on his 1922 tour.

I know he went from Sioux City to Norfolk NE to Sturgis SD. He played a game in Deadwood that was reported by the Deadwood Daily Pioneer Times on October 19, 1922.

After the game they boarded the Northwestern train headed for Scottsbluff. So from that information I assume they had a game in Scottsbluff in October 1922.

http://www.nebaseballhistory.com/
Old 01-12-2012, 08:03 AM
Dan Bretta

His stop in Omaha with Lou Gehrig was well publicized...earlier trips through smaller towns in Nebraska may be hard to pinpoint because it may not have been reported by local newspapers...and lots of those small town papers are probably not archived.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:25 AM
pariah1107

Looks like the Star Herald was the paper in Scottsbluff, Nebraska circa 1922. Ancestry.com has digital copies of the paper beginning in 1940 but a person at the newspaper, which still prints, should have an idea where to find older copies or microfiche.

If it is not reported in the Star Herald, it might be possible to look for newspapers in larger towns further west (maybe Cheyenne) along the rail line. Combine info with above notes and it should give you an idea of when he was in your area. The Bambino in any town was a huge event (very well covered in the day) and doubt it would be missed by any reporter. Hope this helps, good luck on the research.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:09 AM
R@y H0lmes

I did a quick search at the Wyoming Newspaper Project (http://www.wyonewspapers.org/), used "Scottsbluff" and "Ruth" as keywords, and found this short bit from the Laramie Republican, October 17, 1922:

Sounds as if Ruth played in Scottsbluff on October 20th.

If anyone wants the PDF file of the full newspaper page, PM me with your email address.

Ray
Old 01-12-2012, 07:54 PM
Bert Wright

Thank you guys for your great research! This is a great start and looks like the event really happened. Keep the info coming!
Old 01-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Bruce Esser

I would first start at the Scottsbluff library to see if they have microfiche of the newspaper.

The Nebraska State Historical Society has a large collection of Nebraska newspapers. They have the Scottsbluff Star Herald going back to 1912. They also have the Scottsbluff Republican for 1922.

Check their hours before going there. I have not been there for a couple of years but at the time they only had two machines that could print from the machines. You had to take notes by hand if you were using one of the other machines.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:28 AM
Bert Wright

Thanks Bruce. That is some good info and a great lead. I may do that in March when I am in town for State basketball. Unfortunately, I am on the other side of the state and a 6 hour drive.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Bruce Esser

If the Scottsbluff library does not have the Star Herald in their collection they can get a reel from the Nebraska State Historical Society using interlibrary loan. The cost is $7.00 per reel, this includes shipping to your library. You must then pay for return shipping.

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/lib-a...nventory-1.pdf

http://bit.ly/xpbpi2 (a shorter url in case the long one above does not work.

is a link to their inventory of newspapers starting with "s". If I am reading it correctly control number 3021 includes the paper from 6/16/22 through 12/7/23.

Andrea Falling (she goes by "Bun") is a Nebraska baseball expert who works for the society. Her email is andrea.falling@nebraska.gov. She has written a number of articles about Nebraska baseball for historical journals.

Last edited by tachyonbb; 01-14-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Bert Wright

Default Babe Ruth in Nebraska?

Hey everyone! I thought I would revive this thread as our newspaper in conjunction with our middle school is trying to find information for a story on Babe Ruth barnstorming in Scottsbluff, Nebraska. Please dig and help if you can. We are looking for dates, details, other Nebraska or regional towns, or the holy grail...a photo! Anything would help.
Thank you! Bert
wright6@charter.net