NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-03-2006, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Default What is your intention for your collection ?

Posted By: jP

What are your intentions for your colection(s)? for example i will be giving mine to my son, in the last year 1/2 he has shown alot of interest and asks lots of questions when he sees dad organizing his cards. He's only 5.They are for him!

I mean when we are gone from this weird place we call earth where will yours end up? we know that cards last longer than we do. I think that is the great thing about collecting old baseball cards, they have a better chance of lasting longer than us.A nostalgic feeling a documented piece of history to hold a card close to 100 YRS.OLD! I dont think i would be collecting as heavy as i been lately if my son did not show interest.

Drop your feedback, maybe some of you will take them to the grave ( not anytime soon for any of us i hope) or donate them, or maybe you will sell them. Throw em from a plane at Yankee Stadium, auction ? What are your plans?

jP

Old 08-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: EricB

I'm definitely not giving them to my kids. They wouldn't appreciate them as much as I do. Besides, I'm cutting back on my beer money to buy cards. Why give them to my kids who will just sell them to buy beer.

Old 08-03-2006, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

I want to sell it eventually and make good use of the money. It has always been my intention to sell my collection when I get older and use the funds to be a missionary for my church full-time.

James

Old 08-03-2006, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

There will come that day, there always will be "that day" and when that day comes, I will move to Hawaii and finish thick novels (finish Marcel Proust by the time I'm deleted from this earth) by the beach side in my nice small home overlooking a panoramic scene.

I do not have kids and if I did, well, they aren't getting it. It would break my heart to see them sell my stuff for some tech gadgets or to improve the way their vehicle looks.

DJ

Old 08-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

to spend my retirement disposing of my collection in an orderly fashion to all of youse younger guys (with the exception of Ted Z who I believe is the only regular on this Board older than me). My sons, ages 29 and 26 have shown little interest though my oldest has specifically requested my 1959 Topps set. If I should prematurly pass my wife has Lew's contact info as I would want him to handle the disposition of the collection.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

funny guys! I too...have no children...no wife at this point...and someday...maybe sooner than later plan to sell off my collection to possibly help fund an island retreat or a nest egg of cash to invest elsewhere. to date, they have proven to be an incredible investment...both financially and in my happiness and like most,I will sell them since no one I know will love them as much as I have/do!

pete in mn

Old 08-03-2006, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

My cards will end up with my son. He's not really interested in collecting, but he said he did enjoy going to the National in Chicago and seeing all the different stuff. What he does with it is up to him, but I have it set up so that he cannot take possion of collection until he is 25. I have also left the contact info of who he should get ahold of to sell the cards, if that is his choice.

Jay

A good friend will come bail you out of jail. A true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn, that was fun."

Old 08-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

No wife and no kids here either.

I'm 3 1/2 years away from retirement and plan on dying broke. Theres nobody in my family that gives two hoots about anything in my collection and I've started slowly selling things off here and there this year.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David McDonald

Instructions are already in the Will to leave the '33 Goudey set to my best friend John Patton and the '53 Topps set to his son Michael. Our friendship has infinitely enriched my life and it's been a gas watching Michael come up. My young nephew Ben McDonald (is that a great name or what?) gets the '57 Topps set so he can tap into the Uncle Dave juju. My M116 Wood will go to tBob because St Peter won't admit eBay snipers. Tbob is already sticking in the voodoo pins. Stop it, man. It hurts. Max W. will bring the Saskatchewan football pennant home to the Great White North. And young Mathewson Parks is going to get a nice looking T3 Matty because it was absolutely heartwarming to learn that there is a little boy in America with such a beautiful name to live up to. The rest will be consigned to auction so that some nice old cards are pumped back in to The Hobby and some cash is pumped into the estate.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dd

family heirloom

Old 08-03-2006, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: nbrazil

too young to even consider what will happen with my cards down the line. but, if i ever do die in the not to distant future...i would want it to be passed on to my nephew.

if i do ever get kids, i would pass it on to them. of course, in dire financial times, i would sell most of it with no remorse (likely to just keep a card or two).

Old 08-03-2006, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric B

Dad! Is that really you?

Old 08-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

nothing I'd like more than to retire from law and spend my time buying, selling, trading, writing and talking cards. Who knows, maybe I can even shave my butt, stick a photo of it on a bag with bad glasses, and call myself Mr. Mint.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Excellent topic !!!

Nowadays, what usually happens a lot of the times is that the kids and/or grandkids don't really want the cards, so they end up in one of the auction houses !!!

Old 08-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Most of my collection will go to my son who's only 5 right now...and to any of my future children who show interest. I'm thinking that maybe the Nebraska minor league related items will go to the Nebraska baseball museum or the state historical society.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Administrator

yeah Keith im your huckleberry.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

THIS is EXACTLY why someone needs to start a "Baseball Card Hall of Fame."

If serious collectors KNEW FOR SURE that their cards would be PROTECTED from theft and destruction...

I have no doubt that they would leave many of their heirlooms to the BCHOF so that people could view them for generations to come.

I sure would.

Barry?

Lew?

Adam?

Leon?

Mastro?

Lifson?

How many folks would we need to set up a "Board of Trustees" to run this thing and give it legitimacy?

Old 08-03-2006, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach S.

Sounds like a lot of you guys have kids around my age (26) who aren't really interested in your collections. So, if any of you would like to adopt a son who is let me know... I'll take real good care of them.

Zach
zsmith@as39.navy.mil

Old 08-03-2006, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Hal i think you are on to something, i like the idea! lets build on this. very interesting to think my collection for the world to see. how awesome!!

Old 08-03-2006, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Knowing my proverbial luck, the bottom will fall out of the card market hours before I pass, rendering my entire collection without value. At least I will have known the pleasure of collecting and the pursuit of so many sets. In the words of the commercial, "Priceless."
Since I have 2 grown daughters, neither of whom have shown much inclination to do anything collecting-wise with the cards, it remains for the youngest grandchild and the only boy in the last 2 generations, to someday inherit the TBob collection. Right now he (5 yrs. old) is fascinated with the PX-7 Domino Discs but not so much with the cardboard...

Old 08-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Sorry to post again but now that I think of it there are certain items that will be held and reserved. For example Tbob has first crack at the Zeenuts. JC gets the Springfield Roses and Paul H. gets the W601 collection. Anyone have a keen interest in the Ullman's?

Old 08-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

ullman's? that's my namesake! I'm interested!

pete ullman in mn

Old 08-03-2006, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

I like the thought of a card HOF or donating to the New England Sports Museum. Face it, If our parents kicked off leaving us coins or guns or stamp or butterfly collections we would sell the junque in a flash and buy more cards (and beer). I know my stuff is gone soon after I take my nap on the wrong side of the lawn.

My stuff isn't primo, but I'm certain in a few decades someone wouldn't mind paying a couplea bucks to see 'em.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I'm going to live forever, or die trying.

In the event of the latter, I have a list of a handful of hobby friends that will get select pieces from my collection, and instructions on which items my family should consign to Robert Edward Auctions, and which items they should give to Jay Wolt for resale.

My wife will get my T206 Waddell, and my kids will split up the cards I pulled out of packs as a kid in the late 70s.

All my shiny cards go to David Vargha.

-Al

Old 08-03-2006, 02:00 PM
Administrator

it will be like pulling teeth to get them out of me.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

I have 3 children, I will give 1 item from my collection to each of the children. I have seen to often when leaving something to your kids, as soon as you are gone they sell. Example: A farmer keeps property for years, leaves to kids, Sold! Your interest are not your children's, someone with young children will find this out someday.

Joe

Old 08-03-2006, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Holstein

Thanks! As sweet a thought as it is to have that W601 set, I would rather have you live to be 150. Heck, who else would I email in the middle of the night? What is with giving JC the Springfields? - he already has more cards than Burdick

I haven't forgotten the shirt - work has been crazy the last three weeks.

Paul

Old 08-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

bury mine in the back yard when I'm done with them.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Griffin's

<<I'm going to live forever,>>

You might want to give up those cigarettes then Al!

My wife knows how to disperse everything, and has a full inventory.
Don't want to get into a flame war here, but I recently signed on with a card pricing service. Entering everything in there helps provide a current, real total for any card or group of cards, and it was easy enough to show her where everything is and how it works. No shiny headed dealers will be lowballing her with a fan of cash.
Not recommended, however, if you are currently or expect to one day get divorced.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Administrator

the Reulbach Colgan was sent to me instead of you as requested so I have to get that out to you as well.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

Steve, I may have a year or two on you, my son is 31 and is very interested in old cards - left new stuff right away. He is working in an industry that I do not comprehend - event marketing. We have attended 3 nationals over the last 11 years and plan on 2007. I figured that I would be sitting on a park bench by now, but to my surprise I am very busy and have committed to projects that will take me to 70. Keep me in mind for the Zeenuts that Tbob does not want. Have developed a real fondness for them over the last 2 years and now have about 500. My wife tolerates my indulgence surprisingly well. Will dispose of some items through Mastro and REA and pass some on to Chris.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jeffdrum

I am going to split them between my two kids and they can do with them what they will. That's exactly what I will do with what my father leaves me.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

It is my hope that well before I move on, I will complete my collection. Celebrate the accomplishment. And say my lengthy fond farwells to it. Baseball, non-sport and coins.

Then select a few, new to me, pieces that I like from these collecting fields (maybe even in one of those snobbish grades + slabs) and keep it as a rememberance. The finances left over from the sale of these collections will be used to start a different one. I wonder what that will be?

By then I will have passed 80, so I guess it will be bimbo drool nurses.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

dittos.....I have two stepsons that show no interest and am adopting a little girl from China, so maybe she'll want them! They'll be split otherwise I guess.....

Tbob....are you leaving the 'friggin trademark to your daughters or will it stay intact with the card collection to your grandson? It would be a shame to split them up..........

Old 08-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

I buy sports items/cards as a potential investment and to satisfy my compulsive habitual buying patterns. After playing the stock market game for years (same pattern of buying), I said why would I invest in "other" people's companies when I should be investing in myself. I know more about baseball cards than how to read a P&L. After I learn terms like "Burn Rate" which means it's OK to loose money for future plans. I decided to put funny money toward cards and hope the market continues it growth. After seeing our market get stronger after 911, It shows that sports collectibles is here to stay and instead of being known as a "hobby" it is now starting to be an investment, and way of life!

Thank you Steve for remebering me on the Rose deal (just won some more today from the Jackson's auction) and YES I want the ULLMANS! You hooked me up on the Matheson (I think) and I am collecting that set now (guess I'm not a type collector as I've stated).

JC

Old 08-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Martin Neal

Originally, I had planned on selling my collection to fund a big tub of a sailboat. One loaded with every conceivable amenity and all possible electronics. I hope to be in the caribbean in 5-6 years (at least in the winter). Unfortunately, I did not plan on my children's college education. I have two just entering college this fall and one going next fall. In three years , I will have four kids in college at the same time. What was I thinking! Or maybe I wasn't.

Old 08-03-2006, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

There is a very neat small museum in my former hometown and they would love to have all my Series 6 T210 cards or my University folks would like to add to their collection and either would be a fine home for those cards. I would love for us to build an appropiate home / museum for baseball cards ---my suggestion years ago was to put it right next to the Louisville Slugger Museum in Louisville, Kentucky.

Old 08-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

I have two children, a daughter (2 1/2) and a son (3 mos.) so it remains to be seen if they will be interested. I would really like to share my collection with them someday. I have already made arrangements in a will for my collection. My only hope is that someday the cards will provide as much enjoyment for someone else as they have for me. I had no intention 30 years ago of building a collection that would need to be managed. My first cards, although well cared for, at one time resided in a box with my other toys. How times have changed.

Old 08-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RayB

This is the End...my special friends...the End...

I am 30 some odd percent complete on my humble T-206 set and have come to realize that it is the last and only set I will build and hopefully complete before the end comes.

If I make it; I too, will celebrate it's completion; enjoy it for a while and then retire...hopefully to long remaining life with pocket change, and not that ceramic urn dust.

Hopefully that will be a nice piece of pocket change.
RayB

Old 08-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Williams

I may just put in my will that the first family member who can give any maningful fact about Pepper Martin gets them all.

No meaningful fact, EBAY them all.

Old 08-03-2006, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

I have become less of a 'buy and hold' collector and more....
'lets see how many different cool cards I can have pass through my hands' collector.

When I was younger - I purchased and never let go.

Now, I have to say - I am having more fun buying cards... then eventually passing them off to another collector (hopefully N54er) and picking up different cool cards. Maximizing the number of cool cards that get to pass through my hands... that is my goal. I don't have to hold them forever.

Without getting philisophical... we don't really own these cards anyway... they were here before us and will be here after us.

So with that in mind, and to get more on topic... my intention is to keep my collection changing, but most importantly to always have a collection. Why would I ever want the game to stop? too fun.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot Reader

I am blessed to be the only poster so far who has an eight year-old son who is more of a baseball fanatic than I am. He gets them and can show them to all of his clients when he becomes the #1 sports agent in the country. My daughter gets a cash equivalent, as does my soon-to-be adopted daughter from China (Tom, you and I have something in common here). Scot

Old 08-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: daryle

Probably leave for my niece. I don't have any kids of my own. I hope to get her aleast a little interetsed in baseball and baseball cards (and deer hunting and Alabama Crimson Tide and deer hunting and baseball cards and deer hunting). She'll be 3 in Sept and her name is CRIMSON:-). I'll start pounding baseball cards in her head in a few years (deer hunting at about 7 yrs). She already comes here to my desk when I'm here on the forum and on eBay and says "Cards?.....don't touch" and "Big deer" while pointing at my deer mounts.....hehehehehe

Old 08-03-2006, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

War Eagle, Dar

Old 08-03-2006, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

I'd do about the same, no kids , no anything really....
just want to reside in peace and CRY that I had to sell
my babies to the BLACK MARKET....but I may keep one or
two so that I can glorify in HEAVEN that I was exhumed !