NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Default If you did not have to collect what you do, what would you collect?

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

For me, I have promised myself to maintain focus on my collecting objectives. And I have done well at that.

But there is the constant barrage of impulse opportunities, bargains which I know I could profit from someday, and other generally attractive offerings.

If I was to take a break from my "routine" collection, I would put together several examples of many duo
tone sets; selected to portray the range of cards in each. These may vary in color, orientation, action or pose, and other differences.

Some of the sets of primary interest would be:

Leader Novelty
w517 + minis
Uncle Jacks
Batter Up
and lots of strip cards, possibly including w504, w553, w554, w555, w565, w600 and others
Exhibits, endlessly colored exhibits.

Actually, Id have to research these sets to determine players common to most, and then include a single or multiple players as a common theme.

What would you do if you had a vacation from your main collection?

Old 08-01-2006, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry

I have always just collected Hofers, but I could see my self picking up some scarce type card commons especially 19th century.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

I generally collect HOFers. However, I abandoned my HOFers only rule to complete an e93 set. Originally, my intent was to keep the non-Hofers in lower grades but now Im just trying to get the entire set in as nice condition as possible within my budget.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

I collect pre-WWI Detroit players. If I go outside of that, potential targets are or would be T205 National Leaguers (can't get DTW players in that group, by definition). I especially like the T205 NL'ers that have the little bit of shading just behind the player's head and shoulders - like Lush. It adds so much depth and beauty to the cards.

I would also pick up Obaks of players that never played for Detroit. I just like the Obaks. Although I may venture into Zeenuts soon too. Then probably E95 players that are not Detroiters - such a nice set.

Maybe T206's with the pink skies (Ritter, Oberlin, etc).

In another recent post someone (I think it was whoever just finished the N172's by getting McPhee) said something about collecting what you like, not what you need. I've been thinking about that one! Fortunately for now, there are enough Dtw type cards yet that I need that I can still get cards that fit both the need and want lists. But I am also now starting to eyeball some others that I just plain like the look of.

Stay tuned. You never know!

Joann

Old 08-01-2006, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff P

I collect T3 HOF'ers. If I were to shift gears a little, I would go after e93's. I know they're hot, but still see a lot of potential. Classic set!

Old 08-01-2006, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

i would love to put together the 1941 play ball set in vg shape. it was a woderful year for baseball! and it's a great looking set. imo my focus is baseball cards 1909 - 1936 and i'm not trying to put together any set of that period (can't afford!)

Old 08-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Seth B.

O.J.s. I was drooling over Dave's Indianapolis find. These things are incredible, so packed with history, but at $200 a pop and up for ones in decent condition, I could really only afford to buy O.J.s or everything else. Plus, I'm a set collector and...well, let's just not go there. I still pick one up for cheap whenever I can.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

Right now I only collect Detroit players. When I started in the late 70's it was everything, especially complete sets. I then sold all my sets and collected memoribilia, had over 150 bobbin head dolls at one time, those are gone now. If I could I would pick up at least 1 Joe Jackson card today.

Joe

Old 08-02-2006, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Seth,

Please send me all the decent condition $200 OJs you can find!!!

Old 08-02-2006, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Griffin's

I"d start collecting cabinet sized cards. I saw some nice OJ's and T4's at the National, and there were 2 Duke's in an upcoming auction that looked spectacular. And there are some nice W600's in Mastro right now.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Campbell

I mostly collect cards of Jimmie Foxx and any other item, relating to him, magazines, pennants, pins awards, statues, etc. etc. Wire photos. I have over 50 photos of him, and about 60 different cards.

If I could do the same with another player, it would be gehrig. But the cost prohibits the same psychotic impulse that drives me for Foxx. Though I do have many gehrig items also. I own his personal health club pass. and lots of other stuff. of his, etc. etc. I guess my best would be a Gehrig grade 5 34 Goudey.