NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-28-2017, 09:33 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Default centering (another stupid grading thread)

I have a graded card that I want to submit for a crossover. I know the different grading companies list the grading criteria on their sites, but SGC at least gives just one number for centering (e.g., an SGC 84 has 70/30 or better centering) and PSA gives only two (one for the front and one for the back). There are, of course, four centering measurements (vertical and horizontal on both front and back). For "eye appeal" the front horizontal centering seems to be more important than the other three combined, but to what extent is that the same when actually getting a card graded? From a technical perspective it seems like they should all count equally, but PSA specifies otherwise in the front vs. back cutoffs and both SGC and PSA explicitly verbalize some wiggle room into their grading standards for something like eye appeal.

Does anyone know specifically how it works in practice? Let's say for an SGC 84, do all four measurements have to be 70/30 or better? Or just the main one but the other three have to be close? Or is it that the average of the four measurements has to be 70/30 or better? And is this a trade secret, or should I just call and ask them?

Last edited by darwinbulldog; 07-28-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:26 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I don't think it's a trade secret but I would call and ask. I don't know the answer....
Old 07-29-2017, 04:40 AM
Lonnie Nagel

photo 177 Robertson 84 Rev.jpg

photo 177 Robertson 84.jpg
Old 07-29-2017, 08:13 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I don't think it's a trade secret but I would call and ask. I don't know the answer....
Always good advice. A quick phone call will often answer these types of questions.

I believe the answer is the score is given based on the point at which the card is most off center. That could be top to bottom, or left to right.

If a card just misses, say 68/32 top to bottom, but has all other characteristics I suppose a judgement call is made on whether or not to let it slide. I have no idea how that is determined. Issues like that are why cards are able to be bumped.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 07-29-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:28 AM
Glyn Parson

Back is less important as I feel it should be. Many vintage issues never have equal front and back centering. I am not sure why anyone would think front centering is not more important. Every company that grades allows for a more oc back than front. It is an industry standard. And one I actually agree with.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:09 AM
je.sse @rnot

Yes there's a centering score for the front and back. I meant that's how I believe each is calculated. From the point each is the most off center. I don't think anyone would argue back centering is as important as front either.