NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Steve Birmingham

Only partly.
The scratched plate was probably only used to print backs for a couple different sheets. I'm certain it was used for two different sheets and I'm hoping that's as far as it went.
(There are also maybe two different groups of scratches, one distinct the other not. The second looks more like it may be a crayon mark, perhaps indicating the plate should have been redone or erased for reuse if it was a stone)

It's still a bit early to tell much for sure, but I'm also looking at other identifying marks on the backs as well as specific front differences.

Between all of it it may be possible to get closer to a sheet layout.
It will be possible to get fairly close to a more provable sheet size.

I had thought that the scratches would have been on the last use of the plate, but that's turning out to not be the case.

Of the cards I've seen, there's one that throws a wrench in the works.
There's a Schulte front view showing the scratch.
But that can't be from the same sheet as the others because the available backs aren't the same.

I have found one of the other marks on two different cards, which means that the two couldn't have been on the same sheet. But that's something for a different thread.

At the worst, the scratches will show us a group of cards that were probably on the same sheet and roughly where they were.

We'll also be able to get a grasp on other things, for instance we know there were multiples of each card on the sheet from the double name cards. And we know there were sometimes different cards vertically from the double/different name cards.
Studying the backs in relation to the fronts should show for instance that there were 4 of each player stacked vertically (The number I'm currently leaning towards)

Steve B
Old 12-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Only partly.

It will be possible to get fairly close to a more provable sheet size.
Cool - hadn't thought of that.

Quote:

Studying the backs in relation to the fronts should show for instance that there were 4 of each player stacked vertically (The number I'm currently leaning towards)

Steve B
Are you also thinking that some cards are 'top sheet only' cards and others are 'bottom only'? (for instance, the ones showing remnants of the factory number at the bottom of the sheet?)

Great little project!
Old 12-03-2012, 08:59 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Steve,

Not sure if this is what your looking for but this Piedmont has a similar line.
Also whats your opinion on the lines in this Cycle card?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy (2) of img344.jpg (72.4 KB, 2300 views)
File Type: jpg Copy (2) of img345.jpg (72.4 KB, 2301 views)
Old 12-03-2012, 09:31 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
Steve,

Not sure if this is what your looking for but this Piedmont has a similar line.
Also whats your opinion on the lines in this Cycle card?
Thanks! Yes, that piedmont is exactly the sort of line I'm looking for.
Who's on the front? If you have a front scan that would be cool.
That particular one is a new one.

I think the red lines on the Cycle are from a notebook or ledger it may have been glued into at some point.
It looks like there's a little bit of a line above the top of the frame at the upper right. Hard to tell what it's from, but it's interesting.

Steve B
Old 12-03-2012, 09:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I think the red lines on the Cycle are from a notebook or ledger it may have been glued into at some point.
It looks like there's a little bit of a line above the top of the frame at the upper right. Hard to tell what it's from, but it's interesting.

Steve B
Seen those types many times and I agree....
Old 12-03-2012, 10:06 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Steve,

Front and back scans of the piedmont. I didn't even notice the top line on the Cycle until
you pointed it out, the two bottom lines show up clearly with the naked eye
but I had to darken the scan or they didn't show up at all. They are actually
quite different than the scans, they are a sharp blueish line with a pink cast off. The top line comes down the right side to bottom of the top semi circle in the border and there is another line inside that one that comes down the top of the semi circle to the bottom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shipke.jpg (68.5 KB, 2268 views)
Old 12-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Archive

Hi Steve

As you know, I do some research on this subject (T206 sheets). If I locate any T206s with these lines, I'll post them up.

One card that comes to mind is the Randall "Milwaukef" card. They all seem to a small line/plate scratch one the back of the card. Only a fraction compared to the ones you have posted in this thread. Piedmont 350 f25 incase you were wondering.

If there is any way I can help, let me know.

Jantz
Old 12-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Clayton

Great thread Steve !!

I thought I had one with one of these lines, but I'm not finding it in my scans. I'll check the cards in the next few days to see if I do, my scans suck.
Great observation though, I hope this goes somewhere- any pieces to the puzzle help

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 12-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantz View Post
Hi Steve

As you know, I do some research on this subject (T206 sheets). If I locate any T206s with these lines, I'll post them up.

One card that comes to mind is the Randall "Milwaukef" card. They all seem to a small line/plate scratch one the back of the card. Only a fraction compared to the ones you have posted in this thread. Piedmont 350 f25 incase you were wondering.

If there is any way I can help, let me know.

Jantz
Thanks, I'll make a note of that for the bigger project (Front differences over all backs, probably won't make any real headway on that one)

The Assortment of marks on the P150 back is something I think is possible. I'm only a few months in and there's already some progress. Plus it's a somewhat limited group of cards that are common. There are some interesting marks on other backs, but they're more difficult.

Steve B
Old 03-05-2015, 11:16 AM
Robert J. Miller

I hope this is a new one to have added to your list. I have this Sullivan with what someone told me was a printers cut mark and a plate scratch. Is this the same card that was submitted by z28jd on page 3 of this thread?
Robert

Old 03-05-2015, 01:20 PM
Steve Birmingham

While not new, that's a far better scan of Sullivan than I've found. I have a poor scan of one graded Auth with the same scratch but not showing the crop mark, which was probably trimmed off on that one.

Better scans help, since I'm also looking at the fronts. Each front has a few minor differences that match a particular back. Like having the little registration marks or not.

It's a very long term project on most cards, but a few of the tough ones have specifically identifiable fronts that always match particular back flaws.

Steve B
Old 03-07-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post
I hope this is a new one to have added to your list. I have this Sullivan with what someone told me was a printers cut mark and a plate scratch. Is this the same card that was submitted by z28jd on page 3 of this thread?
Robert

It is the same one I posted(not the exact same card), looked back and saw I never put the name, but it is Sullivan with the same marks
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 06-07-2015, 09:00 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

I believe I have one of these. It's listed on eBay right now. Ends in less than 12 hrs. Would be cool if it actually is for the winner

Member since 2009
Old 06-08-2015, 07:15 AM
Jason Stricker

I was at a show yesterday and saw a F. Smith with a scatch on the back. Didn't pick it up, so no scan.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Are you also thinking that some cards are 'top sheet only' cards and others are 'bottom only'? (for instance, the ones showing remnants of the factory number at the bottom of the sheet?)

Great little project!
That's what I'm thinking.

Although I'd expect to see more with two different names if that was the case. And that's why I'm not entirely set on 4 being the number of instances of the same player.

But from looking at the rare cards, 4 looks pretty solid. I'm sure there are 3-4 Magies that can be told apart even from scans that aren't great. And that each diferent Magie front matches to a specific back.

Steve B