NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-07-2004, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Default Gotta love the ingenuity of this E-Bay fraud...

Posted By: Aaron M.

Not only does this person follow the usual practice of selling an obviously trimmed/probably reprinted card in an unknown garage "grading service" holder, but I'm not a collector and don't know much about baseball cards routine, but this person is trying to capitalize on the recent "E-Bay Wedding Dress" phenomena (14 million hits last time I checked) to embellish his/her fraudulent story. (Instead of an ex-wife's wedding dress, it's an ex-boyfriend's baseball card.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31721&item=4129799364&rd=1

Old 05-10-2004, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: philinthablanx

Yeah, cry me a river. If I go to any card supply store and buy graded plastic cases and make a generic title on my computer(leaving off the name of my grading company, or course) I could sell these "vintage" cards for hundreds. But she's got a bid, what does that tell us?

Phil

Old 05-10-2004, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

I guess that this tells us that there are a lot of people out there just waiting to be set up for disappointment.

Old 05-10-2004, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian p

I am no graded card expert, having only had a handful in my collecting days, but isn't CTA a legitimate (though perhaps not well respected) grading card company?

Brian

Old 05-11-2004, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Nickinvegas

AAron,
While I can't vouch for the seller or the grader, I can tell you CTA has been around for a while:

http://www.ctagradingexperts.com/info.html

They set up at shows from time to time. CTA uses a computer to assist them in their grading process. I talked to a rep. from their company at a local show and he seemed to know his stuff.

As far as the card goes, I think it is legit. Though the scans are not as clear as I would like, It does not look like fakes I have seen in the past.

Just my opinion...

Nick

Old 05-12-2004, 01:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: prewarsports

Everything I have owned from CTA has been vintage and legitimate and I have never seen a counterfeit card in any of their holders. I cant tell from the picture if it has been trimmed, but I would be willing to bet the card is at least real. I do not have any CTA graded cards currently but I always thought they did a pretty decent job and I have never heard anything bad about them.

As for the story, I have heard crazier things. I had a friend whose father died of Lou Gehrig's disease and he used to tell people jokingly that Lou Gehrig killed his father. Eventually he bought a Lou Gehrig card, the only vintage card he owned, for that reason alone. Seem more far fetched than this persons story, but 100% true.

Rhys