NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-22-2014, 03:49 PM

Default JimStinson

This is considered a Crime
Collusion is an agreement between two or more parties, sometimes illegal and therefore secretive, to limit open competition by deceiving, misleading, or defrauding others of their legal rights, or to obtain an objective forbidden by law typically by defrauding or gaining an unfair market advantage. It is an agreement among firms or individuals to divide a market, set prices, limit production or limit opportunities. It can involve "wage fixing, kickbacks, or misrepresenting the independence of the relationship between the colluding parties
as is this
A racket is a service that is fraudulently offered to solve a problem, such as for a problem that does not actually exist, that will not be put into effect, or that would not otherwise exist if the racket were not to exist. Conducting a racket is racketeering. Particularly, the potential problem may be caused by the same party that offers to solve it, although that fact may be concealed, with the specific intent to engender continual patronage for this party. An archetype is the protection racket, wherein a person or group indicates that they could protect a store from potential damage, damage that the same person or group would otherwise inflict, while the correlation of threat and protection may be more or less deniably veiled, distinguishing it from the more direct act of extortion.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:03 PM
Michael I.

Jim you seem like something is bothering you all ok?
Old 09-22-2014, 07:29 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7imel View Post
Jim you seem like something is bothering you all ok?
Better question is. Are you for real. If you cant understand his post there is something really wrong with you.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:44 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Better question is. Are you for real. If you cant understand his post there is something really wrong with you.
I understand the post, and have seen members dealing with Jim be nothing but satisfied, so I imagine he is for real...
Old 09-23-2014, 08:28 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
The question I have is why did he title this thread with his name?
Old 09-23-2014, 08:33 AM

Couldn't anyone start a competing TPA any time they wanted?
Old 09-23-2014, 08:39 AM
Jason Presley

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Judging from eBay, people do it every day.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:17 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Sure they can, too many already, but are any of them moral or competent?
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 09-23-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:29 AM

That's a product of the people behind the companies. I would love to see an independent, hobby-involved company come out. It takes a lot of cooperation and risk. But the market is out there.

The key issue to overcome I think is being independent. That means no relationships at all with dealers or collectors beyond providing a service.

Last edited by packs; 09-23-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:36 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Quote:
That's a product of the people behind the companies. I would love to see an independent, hobby-involved company come out. It takes a lot of cooperation and risk. But the market is out there.

The key issue to overcome I think is being independent. That means no relationships at all with dealers or collectors beyond providing a service.
+1. Totally agree
Old 09-23-2014, 10:40 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

This site has some very good people. The problem is everyone here gets a free opinion. Why would they pay?
Dan the reason he put his name up there was for you to know exactly how he feels and no one else.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:47 AM
kirk welch

Quote:

yeah that will be fine until said company fails a item that somebody sells and it gets returned and it will start all over again , thats the whole thing that drives these discussions and threads , not really that hard to figure out what goes on. like i said there is always the option for anybody out here to start certing stuff , but be aware when you fail something you will have a thread all to yourself , or it may just be some dealers will never pony up the fees to have things certed , and to level the field figure it is easier to discredit the stuff that is certed , buy from me!!!!! what if the people who know what they are doing and pay to have their stuff certed , started as many threads the other way? buy from me !!!! like i said not that hard to figure out , this is more like the y2k scare than a racket just my opinion , i am going to do the best i can to do right make folks happy and make money
Old 09-23-2014, 10:54 AM

I honestly feel like the problem is that no one will accept an opinion as being nothing more than an opinion. If everyone can just accept that an informed opinion is better than just any opinion, and move forward with that understanding, then all is well.

But of course that is just a small part. The other thing to overcome is giving favorable opinions to people because of a prior or ongoing relationship or advertising your opinion as something of a guarantee. Not saying anyone does or doesn't do these things, just saying they are issues to overcome.

Last edited by packs; 09-23-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:12 AM
kirk welch

i submit so much and i have psa and jsa fail stuff , i am pretty sure its real sometimes positive it is real , do i start a thread ? jsa failed a maravich i had , it was real i would bet my life on it , but it wont happen , people want that with a psa or jsa cert, you can sell it for 200 without or 500 with a cert , sellit without and they send it and and you get a negative feedback along with the 200 . and a unhappy customer. get it certed as real which it is and everybody is happy and you make money. i am amazed at just how poor of businessmen are on here and in this business , just last week on that long thead on spence and the stengel ,earlywynnfan who i assume is the earlywynnfan on ebay who sells alot of baseballs , had to chime in to make a point and brought up a 20.00 baseball i had listed maybe 5 years and 50000 items ago , now if this is the guy on ebay i have spent hundreds to thousands on his items , uncerted and of course they sell for next to nothing , now after that i wouldnt buy a thing from him and he will continue to chase crumbs , just bad business . same as starting these threads that just cast a bad light on this business . it doesnt matter who certs some dealers wont spend anything for anybody to cert a item . all things aside business end clueless on how to make money , people want some type of cert and they want to buy it from a respected seller they can trust
Old 09-23-2014, 11:36 AM
kirk welch

just a note on jim stinson , i consider him one of the most legit sellers on ebay for uncerted stuff or certed for that matter , i cant wait each week to take a look i always try and buy stuff or at least give it a shot . i would trust him buying from maybe before anybody listing on ebay , and thats the 100% truth , now do i see things he list i dont like sure , i dont buy them , even if the may pass , i dont want the headache , same with items i see in a holder or certed , i will just pass if i dont like them. jim made a good comment a few weeks ago to me , the psa/dna holders are lego blocks for adults , that is so true , but its a hobby and people like legos. our conversation came after i got a neutral from a guy who bought a ball that the cert and sticker on the ball psa/dna had on the database as a different player , that pissed me off , but i worked it out and the neutral is gone and the guy has spent about 500.00 since. i see jim the last few days got a negative feedback on a adolph rupp that he sold and psa/dna failed it for the customer as a secretarial signature , i saw it and did not bid on it , just the way it goes . i have already looked at jims stuff today and will keep buying and i suggest others do as well , but each piece is its own and just because psa/dna fails something it doesnt become open season for a day , and then friday when they have a opinion something is real and you disagree we start over
Old 09-23-2014, 11:54 AM
Dave

I think I know why Jim is upset, and I don't really blame him.

Looks like he ate a bit of money on an item, quickly refunded when PSA disagreed with him, and still got saddled with a neg.

He's probably a little upset, that somebody who most likely has less experience and expertise then himself, holds sway over him.

....and if you look at his auctions, Jim doesn't exactly "chase crumbs". I think he has plenty of customer confidence and does fairly well without having to throw thousands of dollars into the coffers of the TPA's.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:59 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by khw View Post
just a note on jim stinson , i consider him one of the most legit sellers on ebay for uncerted stuff or certed for that matter , i cant wait each week to take a look i always try and buy stuff or at least give it a shot . i would trust him buying from maybe before anybody listing on ebay , and thats the 100% truth , now do i see things he list i dont like sure , i dont buy them , even if the may pass , i dont want the headache , same with items i see in a holder or certed , i will just pass if i dont like them. jim made a good comment a few weeks ago to me , the psa/dna holders are lego blocks for adults , that is so true , but its a hobby and people like legos. our conversation came after i got a neutral from a guy who bought a ball that the cert and sticker on the ball psa/dna had on the database as a different player , that pissed me off , but i worked it out and the neutral is gone and the guy has spent about 500.00 since. i see jim the last few days got a negative feedback on a adolph rupp that he sold and psa/dna failed it for the customer as a secretarial signature , i saw it and did not bid on it , just the way it goes . i have already looked at jims stuff today and will keep buying and i suggest others do as well , but each piece is its own and just because psa/dna fails something it doesnt become open season for a day , and then friday when they have a opinion something is real and you disagree we start over

I have to agree with most of this. Autographs are a tough game sometimes. One way or another, just be as careful as you possibly can, and if you hear that little bird in the back of your head that says "don't do it!".....listen to it and just move on to the next item.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:06 PM
kirk welch

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post

Looks like he ate a bit of money on an item, quickly refunded when PSA disagreed with him, and still got saddled with a neg.

He's probably a little upset, that somebody who most likely has less experience and expertise then himself, holds sway over him.

....and if you look at his auctions, Jim doesn't exactly "chase crumbs". I think he has plenty of customer confidence and does fairly well without having to throw thousands of dollars into the coffers of the TPA's.
ok i didnt say jim chased crumbs so follow along , and i am sure he is upset but it is the nature of the business in 2014 and a very important part of ebay , if you dont want to throw money at a tpa then you risk this because it is what customers want , and a good businessman will do the best he can to make them happy , then you end up like me with a neutral because the certed ball was entered wrong, i took the energy and contacted them had psa fix it and he spent more money , it is business. i dont want to pay ebay the fees i pay them each month either so what do i do ? bash ebay?
Old 09-23-2014, 12:08 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

When you have the power and the money to bring down people it sucks. I am waiting for the day when people wake up and find that two guys are controlling a billion dollar industry and they alone controll it to the point that best in the business cant sell a product without there ok. This is sad for so many reasons.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:08 PM
kirk welch

Quote:
I have to agree with most of this. Autographs are a tough game sometimes. One way or another, just be as careful as you possibly can, and if you hear that little bird in the back of your head that says "don't do it!".....listen to it and just move on to the next item.
oh that little bird sings alot an it is hard not to listen brother
Old 09-23-2014, 12:55 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
This site has some very good people. The problem is everyone here gets a free opinion. Why would they pay?
Dan the reason he put his name up there was for you to know exactly how he feels and no one else.
Okay, wasn't exactly sure why he made a post like that...I thought perhaps he meant for that post to go into another thread but accidentally started a new one.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:49 PM
qu@n nguy3n

that neg is harsh! jim should go work for a tpa, self-cert all his stuff and start raking in the dough (like other less qualified "authenticators" out there).
Old 09-23-2014, 03:03 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:

I'd like to know the ebay name of that buyer so I can block him from my auctions. That guy has enough ebay feedback and experience to know that he shouldn't be giving out negatives when he got refunded quickly like that. That's BS.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:17 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I care more about the fact that the guy trust the tpa's more than they trust Jim.
To have that power and to use it to make there competiion suffer is sick.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:57 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Default Adolph Rupp

I do not know if this is why this was posted, but it makes sense if it is in relation to the Rupp. If it is in reference to the Rupp signature, then the buyer is a D-bag. What more can a seller do than issue a refund if there is a dispute on an item. I received a negative recently too after 3000 without for pretty much the same thing. It's very disappointing.

The second part of this would be, is PSA correct? I believe they are. Rupp is a signature that I would look for, although I did not see this one. If I did see this one, I would not have bid on it. Just my opinion and I am not trying to say anything negative about Jim as I believe him to be as honest as the day is long. Bottom line is whether you agree or not, Jim did the right think and got screwed by some guy. That is a major problem with Ebay, but one you have to live with if you choose to sell that route. I hate it too.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:24 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Default It was not too long ago . . .

. . . that sellers could slap a buyer with a negative rating just for asking the
seller to respond with a positive buyer rating (for extremely quick payment
and a thank you). Happened to a family member. Ebay dismissed family
member's request to have rating overturned. But that is a story separate
from the intent of this thread . . . My apologies.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:27 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
I do not know if this is why this was posted, but it makes sense if it is in relation to the Rupp. If it is in reference to the Rupp signature, then the buyer is a D-bag. What more can a seller do than issue a refund if there is a dispute on an item. I received a negative recently too after 3000 without for pretty much the same thing. It's very disappointing.

The second part of this would be, is PSA correct? I believe they are. Rupp is a signature that I would look for, although I did not see this one. If I did see this one, I would not have bid on it. Just my opinion and I am not trying to say anything negative about Jim as I believe him to be as honest as the day is long. Bottom line is whether you agree or not, Jim did the right think and got screwed by some guy. That is a major problem with Ebay, but one you have to live with if you choose to sell that route. I hate it too.
You did not see this one but if you had you would not have bid on it.
There is an old saying if my grandma had balls she would be my grandfather.
Well she does not and you did not. You just made up your mind that if JSA says it is no good then it is no good.
Your would make the best witness for the tpa's .Even if I have no idea what it looks like it is bad because they told me so.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:58 AM
kirk welch

Quote:
You did not see this one but if you had you would not have bid on it.
There is an old saying if my grandma had balls she would be my grandfather.
Well she does not and you did not. You just made up your mind that if JSA says it is no good then it is no good.
Your would make the best witness for the tpa's .Even if I have no idea what it looks like it is bad because they told me so.

i did see it and didnt bid on it , and although that doesnt fit into a way to make psa/dna look bad i am sure with a little thought it can be turned around as well , you guys are off the charts trying to make the shoe fit , one response a few post ago had jim going to work at a tpa so he could ALSO cert his own stuff , trying to say steve grad and jimmy spence are certing their stuff and selling it , just something from out in leftfield , but again plants a thought in somebodies head of misdeeds , i would have to believe anybody with any sense would read some of this stuff and just dismiss 90% or so as sour grapes . unless you are actually dealing with them day to day spending money getting stuff certed , having stuff pass and fail , given explanations to reason why, getting pissed , seeing the bill , paying the bill doing business ,most of this stuff should be taken with a grain of salt , if people knew what i have bought with loa`s from non tpa , i mean dealers , people on here who everybody trust and ask their opinion , i mean guys that are held in the highest regard, most held in that regard by me i may add . if they would see them and see that they are just no good and they have made mistakes as well , then it is all the same. a dealer issues his own coa and opinion and charges you for the item , a tpa takes your money and offers a opinion , both items are bad , or if they are bad and both say good , same result , its a opinion and the tpa is going to be way less subjective , because duhhh it isnt their item , seller "a" issues a loa for a item he sells , well wonder if it is good ? upper deck a few years ago had a falling out with psa/dna , they needed somebody else to cert like 2000 pieces i had for them , asked if i knew anybody else , i said well maybe like keating or jsa even , he said well how about you can you cert the stuff , i said sure 5.00 each 10 grand or something ....paused and said they are all good , send me the check , i was just kidding but see the point they used jsa

Last edited by khw; 09-24-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:11 AM
kirk welch

i think i might as well throw this out , it seems i find myself on here defending this tpa stuff , well i have because what most are saying is just not true. now i have to admit away from here i actually spend all my time bitchin about the tpa , yes there are so many things i do not like ,i think are wrong , and are wrong that need fixed , i will stop short of calling it a racket but almost find myself using the term , if somebody would be interested in a talk of what is actually going on and not all this other bs then i think that would be more interesting productive and worthwhile
Old 09-24-2014, 01:07 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Well, according to Shelly it doesnt matter what the facts are. According to Shelly, even if an item doesn't match known exemplars for a specific item I am just supposed to believe it is authentic because a good guy (Jim) says it is authentic. Funny Shelly, but that is the exact thing you are arguing against. It really doesn't matter though because Shelly will just twist it to meet whatever arguement makes sense in his head. Oh wait Shelly, I forgot I'm just lying to cover for PSA who I don't do business with or have any affiliation with. That's it.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:32 PM

Is there something wrong with two reputable authenticators having different opinions on an item? I know in this case PSA's word caused negative backlash. And that is not cool and shouldn't happen. But that is an eBay issue and not a PSA one.

I know in eBay world there is no wiggle room and that's lame. But at the same time, there needs to be some kind of standard. It's not a perfect system at all.

Last edited by packs; 09-24-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:43 PM
kirk welch

Quote:
Is there something wrong with two reputable authenticators having different opinions on an item? I know in this case PSA's word caused negative backlash. And that is not cool and shouldn't happen. But that is an eBay issue and not a PSA one.
exactly they are all opinions but the point now has become in this tread is to make whatever the case a tpa issue , people are going to start to see that on this board there is a huge i mean huge motive by some people to just discredit tpa , even if the actual item is no good it is not fair somebody else said so and they charged a fee and in the end offer some degree of protection to a buyer/collector versus the word of anybody including me if i sell a item and just offer my coa, that is not what people want no matter who else offers the opinion, tpa are not going away and i would be shocked if a collector who reads these threads can not see what is going on by some people