NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Default Regional/Odd ball cards at Nationals???

Posted By: Richard Lloyd

Hello...

I am trying to get a feel of the amount of Regional food and minor league cards that were at the Nationals this year...I have been told that there was NOT much if any at all to be found... any thoughts from anyone on this and why?

and if there was NOT.. WHY?? If the bid dealers have the cards I would think they would make money bringing them to the nationals OR they do not want to give it up because these cards are VERY difficult to replace relative to many of the prewar cards...

thoughts..

Best
Dick

Old 08-04-2005, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

Good closing, but actually quite subjective. Is it slabbed?

Old 08-04-2005, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

The very rare Type/Regional/Odd stuff was pretty thin at the National. I picked up a '33 Tarzan (thanks Leon) and a '38 Toledo Minor league card (will post a picture of that one later). Of the tougher issues, I saw a stack of creased up Old Homestead Franks (8-10), one Darigold ('60?), a number of '60 Post (on at least 4-5 different tables), some 7-11 cards, 2 '68 K????? Grocery panels, a few way over-priced coke tips, some '52 Royal Deserts (5x7 premiums), a set of Phili. Bulletin (8x10s), and 5 Yoo-Hoo cards w/ tabs (not for sale, in the current Mastro auction). I'm sure things were left out, but there was a lot to see...

Old 08-04-2005, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Thanks...I truly believe MANY regional cards do not exist PERIOD!!! while many prewar cards do exist and it is just a matter of
how much money a person wants to pay for the condition. In general thisis true.. For example, finding
a 1940 Hughes Confection card or a 1951 Vancouver Cap card are near
impossible.. They do not exist because FEW cards were made relative to the small town and population of the area..However, carmel and tabaco cards were made MUCH more and condition is what makes it hard to find NOT the card in general..

Old 08-04-2005, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Glen... can you call me about who had the HOMESTEAD FRANK cards...
978 858 4813

Old 08-04-2005, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Anyone see or get a Jackie Robinson Bond Bread 1947 from the Jackie Robinson set, not the allstars set?

Old 08-04-2005, 01:04 PM
Administrator

I have one Julie... they pop up about every 8 months on ebay and have been going for 250+ dollars.. However, the ones in really good shape have gone for 400 dollars..

Old 08-04-2005, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

There was a dealer with a pile of Hage's cards, priced at $475 each. Don't remember the dealer.

I did see one of the Bond Bread Robinson cards (portrait) from the Robinson set. I don't remember the dealer or the price.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

was pretty thin, but there were cards to be had, especially for postwar regionals. I picked up a Collins-McCarthy McGraw, a 1952 Mother's Cookies O'Doul, a 1947 Signal Oil Lombardi, some Zeenuts, some 1968 Atlantic oil cards, and a 1954 NY Journal American Furillo. I saw a number of west coast postwar regionals, including Bell Dodgers, SF Giants newspaper cards, and a lot of midwest regionals (Johnston Cookies Braves and Kahn's stand out). Also picked up some W517 minis as did a few other members.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

Julie -- I have 2 slabbed versions of the Robinson sliding card from The Homogenized Bond Bread issue. Do you need one? I also have the portrait with autograph version and the batting with white sleeves version, but alas - only one of each of those.

(edited to correct horrible grammar)

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 08-04-2005, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach

I picked up two of those w517s....Carey and Robinson. I am ignorant on the issue...why are they considered minis ? Are there small ones and big ones ? Also I didnt really know the value and paid around 25 dollars each...for a future reference was this too much ?

Old 08-04-2005, 01:25 PM
Administrator

But if you got them from the same dealer, he was being quite fair on his prices for them. And yes, they are much smaller than a regular W517. They size similarly to a quarter panel of an Exhibit card.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Mine can be found under "Bums" on my website, which you still have to look up under

http://www.julievognar.com/home

but hopefully, not for much longer.

I have six..but I've had six for four years..

Old 08-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 08-04-2005, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Erick Lewin

There's supposed to be a big show August 18-20th in WEstchester, NY/ White Plains. I'm going to try to go at least one of the days. Just wondering if anyone had any idea of or if, there will be much prewar?regional?oddball sets< and just pre world war one in general?

particularly looking for fleischmann+ferguson

DOUBT ILL SPOT ANY BUT JUST WANTED TO GET PEOPLE"S THOUGHTS ON WHAT COULD BE THERE?

Old 08-04-2005, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

The pre-war regionals were very scarce. The Zeenuts have already been reported on and their scarcity, but there was one 1909 Obak and only a handful of 1910s and 1911s. Additionally, I saw only 2 D310s and 2 D311s, one of which I bought and the other was purchased by Tim Newcomb.
I have heard that there will be more of these cards next year when the National comes to California, but I am not sure. They are drying up. If anyone has any D311s (pacific coast biscuit cards), I'll be interested in buying or trading for them.
Thanks,
Bob
trophybob@aol.com

Old 08-04-2005, 04:37 PM
Administrator

but they were crappy and expensive.

Old 08-04-2005, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Like this?

Old 08-04-2005, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bcornell

There were a bunch of those 50's Swift Meat's put-together-the-dismembered-body cards at one booth, but I couldn't tell you which one. It smelled like hot dogs.

Bill

Old 08-04-2005, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Richard stated:

"a 1951 Vancouver Cap card are near
impossible.. They do not exist because FEW cards were made relative to the small town and population of the area.."

Vancouver, BC was not a small town then, even if the WIL was Class B. Capilano stadium games drew large crowds.

Max

Old 08-05-2005, 06:09 AM
Administrator

Thanks Max and you are right and thats a great pic..

I was tring to say that many food regional and minor league cards were NOT mass produced becuase they came from a small minor league town or attached to food products durning the baseball season..
FOr example, I am almost through with my article for potentially OLDCARDBOARD on the 1959/1960 Darigold farm SPOKANE indian baseball cards... (also, I was raised in Spokane) Spokane has a population around 100-200 thousand people but there is NO direct relationship with card production and city size in this case... The Darigold cards were glued to a 1-quart milk carton with a tab..Darigold was not selling there 1-quart milk so they came up with a TWIN-PACK that contained the baseball card.. I actually found and interviewed the GUY who GLUED them to the carton.. He was able to tell me the amount of milk they produced per week and through my research of the Spoksman review newspaper I was able to determine by the team roster,trades..etc.. how long the promotion went.. sooo, for Darigold in 1959 there was approx. 818 cards produced of EACH player!! I would think around 80% of the cards from the milk cartons were distroyed because not everyone kept the card..
given that, there is probably a pool of 175 cards that had a chance to survice 46 years till today...I would think less then 30-40 cards of each player exist today on average.. anyway.. the article is very in depth and these cards were only produced for 3 moneths unlike many
traditional tabaco or carmels that had a wider distribution across the country and for longer periods of time..
Best
DIck
PS: I have identified a total of 203 darigold cards from many collectors around the country.
PSS: MAx, do you have any extra Vancouver cap cards or know where I can get some????

Old 08-05-2005, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James

Anyone find any 1954/1955 Esskay Hot Dog Orioles???

Old 08-05-2005, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Richard

The park in the team photo (1939) is of course Athletic Park, not Capilano Stadium. The person in the photo is not me (no wise comments Elliot), but a member of the 39 team, although I hope to look that good at 92!(--I'm having trouble keeping up at 47)

As for the Capilano cards, sorry but I don't have any duplicates.

Max

Old 08-05-2005, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Thanks ...I was not sure...thought I would add a pic of some sugardales and other regional food cards..

Old 08-05-2005, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

The Old Homestead cards were at a booth just right of the main entrance. My best guess would be Bradley Collectibles, Goodwin & Co., or Windy City Sports Shows. Jeffrey Miller & PJ Sports Collectibles were also against that wall, so it could be them. Anyone know how to get contact info for the above dealers?

Old 08-05-2005, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Can someone help me out in contacting Bradley Collectibles...
my email is
dicklloyd8@hotmail.com
978 457 6780 cell