NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-04-2019, 06:22 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Oh here we go...i’m having flashbacks to reagans statements during the iran contra affair.
Infraction given for political comment. Please keep politics out of it.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:37 AM
pete ullman

So I suppose if I had stuck to denying that mass murders of children in schools never happened or that 911 was a conspiracy and it never happened I would not have received 3 minutes in the box?
Old 06-04-2019, 06:40 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
So I suppose if I had stuck to denying that mass murders of children in schools never happened or that 911 was a conspiracy and it never happened I would not have received 3 minutes in the box?
/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hqdefault.jpg (8.1 KB, 413 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:40 AM
Gobucsmagic74

What happens to the Moser cards, and other altered cards, once they are uncovered and returned to PWCC (or PSA or whoever) for refund? Will they be destroyed? I mean its just an altered card, they're not forgeries or anything, and in some cases might be rare and still hold significant value, even as an altered card
Old 06-04-2019, 07:49 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

For all the talk of legal vs illegal, the main takeaway for me from all of this is that I can't and won't trust anything in Brent's auctions ever again.

Jason Schwartz
Chicago, IL

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 06-04-2019, 08:05 AM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
What happens to the Moser cards, and other altered cards, once they are uncovered and returned to PWCC (or PSA or whoever) for refund? Will they be destroyed? I mean its just an altered card, they're not forgeries or anything, and in some cases might be rare and still hold significant value, even as an altered card
A bit altruistic, but I would hope it’s donated to a museum. Still eye candy at the end of the day. They could at least take a tax cut on the donation of their cost.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:07 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanip View Post
A bit altruistic, but I would hope it’s donated to a museum. Still eye candy at the end of the day. They could at least take a tax cut on the donation of their cost.
I would hope they would use them to educate their graders.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:08 AM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
Maybe they should all be put in pedigree holders. "Moser/PWCC Scandal-2019". Actually might fetch a premium in years to come, lol. Just look at the PSA 8 Wagner and it's history. Just the story behind it is more than likely to attract more potential bidders and higher bids the next time it is up for sale.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:08 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Good question. What if PSA makes good on these and labels them Authentic Altered? Does that really suffice? What's to keep someone from cracking it out and resubmitting it again hoping for a numerical grade? For those that believe PSA had no involvement, if it slipped by and they graded it once, what's to keep it from slipping by and getting graded again? That's of course if you really believe PSA is an innocent pawn in all this. I think they're part of the scam.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:19 AM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Good question. What if PSA makes good on these and labels them Authentic Altered? Does that really suffice? What's to keep someone from cracking it out and resubmitting it again hoping for a numerical grade? For those that believe PSA had no involvement, if it slipped by and they graded it once, what's to keep it from slipping by and getting graded again? That's of course if you really believe PSA is an innocent pawn in all this. I think they're part of the scam.
Given it’s a crisis of confidence, they should prevent cracking them for resubmission. Either donate or brand the cards.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:21 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Quote:
We will see them at auction again and again, just with new holders.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 06-04-2019, 08:23 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Good question. What if PSA makes good ....
When have you ever seen PSA make good on anything? Especially their written guarantee?
Old 06-04-2019, 08:25 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

For those that bought as pure investment, they might not want to give up those cards. It would be a break even. What's to keep them from holding onto the cards a couple years for this to all blow over and then turning a profit?
Old 06-04-2019, 08:25 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I would hope they would use them to educate their graders.
Yes, sort of like this
http://www.philatelicfoundation.org/...and-forgeries/
Old 06-04-2019, 08:32 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
For those that bought as pure investment, they might not want to give up those cards. It would be a break even. What's to keep them from holding onto the cards a couple years for this to all blow over and then turning a profit?
It might blow over in a couple of weeks, knowing the history of this hobby.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:33 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
When have you ever seen PSA make good on anything? Especially their written guarantee?
The reserve is based on prior experience so clearly they have bought back some volume of cards. But what we don't see is the volume of requests denied.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:35 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
The reserve is based on prior experience so clearly they have bought back some volume of cards. But what we don't see is the volume of requests denied.
They fight everyone to the death unless they are sued or have their arms twisted.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:42 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
They fight everyone to the death unless they are sued or have their arms twisted.
Just fulfilling their duty to shareholders to maximize the bottom line.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:56 AM
J

After reading all of this I have a concern that I have not seen anyone address. What happens if/when people stop trusting PSA as THE grading company? That is where everyone with a PSA slabbed card will take a hit. Lets just say even a small amount of people start second guessing PSA cards. That might be a few less bidders on your items or maybe your buy it now listing does not sell at the price you want. That is where the real damage can occur. Think about if the value of PSA slabbed cards just drops a little bit over this situation. That could be millions in lost value in small increments. This effect can go way beyond the altered cards in question.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:58 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanz View Post
After reading all of this I have a concern that I have not seen anyone address. What happens if/when people stop trusting PSA as THE grading company? That is where everyone with a PSA slabbed card will take a hit. Lets just say even a small amount of people start second guessing PSA cards. That might be a few less bidders on your items or maybe your buy it now listing does not sell at the price you want. That is where the real damage can occur. Think about if the value of PSA slabbed cards just drops a little bit over this situation. That could be millions in lost value in small increments. This effect can go way beyond the altered cards in question.
you mean like now as far as not trusting PSA????? i think most on here...I know I have..... thought about this very scenario.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:58 AM
Steve Birmingham

You haven't already stopped trusting PSA?
Old 06-04-2019, 09:01 AM
Joshua

Quote:
Remember GAI? Exodus to SGC.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:03 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanip View Post
Remember GAI? Exodus to SGC.
I thought Mike Baker was terrific, as good as they get. What happened there is really sad.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:09 AM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

PSA should regrade them "Authentic" and recoup whatever they can out of them through a sale. To avoid them coming back raw, they could scan each card and use as a reference. I know it's been discussed, for years, about using invisible ink of some kind on the card itself. Maybe now is the time to take that into serious consideration, again.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:17 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

The FDLE called me today to discuss my report. So you can be assured that law enforcement is looking into it.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:19 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
It's all in the stock-holder statement. Guarantee returns were around 600k last year if I recall correctly. The figure has been increasing steadily and quickly the last few years.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-04-2019, 09:25 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
You haven't already stopped trusting PSA?
Lol, right?
Old 06-04-2019, 09:31 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
[T]he main takeaway for me from all of this is that I can't and won't trust anything in Brent's auctions ever again.
Quote:
This effect can go way beyond the altered cards in question.
This goes way beyond a PWCC auction. These cards have been filtered into the community over the past decade. They're in all of our collections right now, and most of us may never know which ones are good or bad. Period.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 06-04-2019, 10:09 AM
Brian
Brian Long.ley

FBI checking out PWCC

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=1697
Old 06-04-2019, 10:30 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
This is EXACTLY what I was thinking yesterday. Unless PSA makes changes, then these cards will DEFINITELY be graded again.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:31 AM
pete ullman

the cards need to be either destroyed or somehow given a scarlet letter on the card itself that cant be removed.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:32 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLongley View Post
Fortunately there's still a link at the top of this homepage to "consign now" if you want to get your cards "prepared" for the next PWCC auction. Hurry up, kids. It may be their last!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 06-04-2019, 10:34 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
Fortunately there's still a link at the top of this homepage to "consign now" if you want to get your cards "prepared" for the next PWCC auction. Hurry up, kids. It may be their last!
based on what is coming to light these dsys it would not surprise me in the least if most high profile "dealers" auction house owners, etc are well aware of what is and has been going on and are somehow intermingled in it.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:42 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
the cards need to be either destroyed or somehow given a scarlet letter on the card itself that cant be removed.
I think one of the modern card companies should purchase them, cut them up and make relic card inserts for their 2020 products.

Those that could never afford a green Cobb could then own a piece of one.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 06-04-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:48 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
i think one of the modern card companies should purchase them, cut them up and make relic card inserts for their 2020 products. :d

those that could never afford a green cobb could then own a piece of one.
shhhhhh!!!! (lol)
Old 06-04-2019, 11:04 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
I think one of the modern card companies should purchase them, cut them up and make relic card inserts for their 2020 products.

Actually that's one of the most interesting ideas you've had. If they're altered anyway it bothers me a lot less than cutting up a Ruth or Gehrig bat or something.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-04-2019, 11:09 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Maybe they can create a holder that will destroy the card if someone tries to crack it open...actually if they are to survive a return to PSA, Beckett or whoever would probably be for the best...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:10 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
5 minutes for fighting.

We know that you meant Masto & Allen and not the political analogy
Old 06-04-2019, 11:22 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLongley View Post
That's a good place to start. Sportscard Radio lays the scheme out perfectly.

Especially Brent Mastro's relationships with Steven "InstaTrimmer" Tormollan, Gary "Scissorhands" Moser and Robert "Fat Kid on the" Block.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:26 AM
Joshua

Quote:
That's the problem, once this thing cools off, the cards get redistributed back into the marketplace over time. Easier to spot now with the heat on. I hope one of the culpable parties is forced, by law or tort, to take these cards out of circulation now before they become harder to find.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:28 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

http://www.sportscardradio.com/alert...by-psa-or-bgs/
Cardboard carnage. Just keep scrolling.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:29 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULLINS5 View Post
PSA should regrade them "Authentic" and recoup whatever they can out of them through a sale. To avoid them coming back raw, they could scan each card and use as a reference. I know it's been discussed, for years, about using invisible ink of some kind on the card itself. Maybe now is the time to take that into serious consideration, again.
If there's a seizure and court case, I assume they would be marked in some way. The PSA/DNA synthetic DNA would be good.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:30 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Then they'd be sold raw.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:42 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Then they'd be sold raw.
When all the fake Rose RCs were discovered ('86?), weren't those allowed to be sold, but first all marked counterfeit?
Old 06-04-2019, 11:44 AM
pete ullman

Quote:

thats actually a great idea!
Old 06-04-2019, 11:50 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
Maybe they can create a holder that will destroy the card if someone tries to crack it open
This whole alteration scenario is playing out like a '60s TV show. ".... Should you or any of your team members be caught, PSA will disavow any knowledge of your involvement. This holder will self destruct in 10 seconds" cue music...
Old 06-04-2019, 11:58 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

There is absolutely no discussion on the PSA message board.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:03 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
http://www.sportscardradio.com/alert...by-psa-or-bgs/
Cardboard carnage. Just keep scrolling.
Good reporting.... and the VAST majority are PSA.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Maybe if we can get Brent involved he can devise a sticker for high-end altered cards.

BrianP(arker)-beme
Old 06-04-2019, 12:18 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Maybe if we can get Brent involved he can devise a sticker for high-end altered cards.

BrianP(arker)-beme
pass!!!!!