NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Larry More.y

Default Who dunnit???

Figure out who owns the finger (thumb) print on this 72 584 Jerry McNerney card and we would have the answer to the above question. There appears to be at least three versions of this card, one with a "full finger(thumb) print" around Jerry's bat, a second with a "partial print" (likely Topps first attempt to remove the original finger print), and finally the non-finger(thumb) print version. There appears to be much fewer of the first two "finger print" versions and many more of the finger print free cards. Has anyone else noticed this or other versions of this card?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 72 584 FULL.jpg (77.0 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg 72 584.jpg (77.0 KB, 175 views)
Old 11-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Ben North

I noticed on the backs there is what also looks to be a fingerprint. It centers between the AND MINOR on the cards with the fingerprint on the front.

My pic sucks it is much easier to se in hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fprint.jpg (19.3 KB, 164 views)
Old 11-08-2013, 06:18 PM
Larry More.y

Hi Ben,
Does you copy with the finger print on the back have the finger print on the front also? My only copy (with the full finger print on the front) does not have a fingerprint on the back. However, on COMC, there is a copy with the full finger print on the front and the finger print on the back. There is another with the partial print on the front and the print on the back.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:39 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Hi Ben,
Does you copy with the finger print on the back have the finger print on the front also? My only copy (with the full finger print on the front) does not have a fingerprint on the back. However, on COMC, there is a copy with the full finger print on the front and the finger print on the back. There is another with the partial print on the front and the print on the back.
The one I have has the full print on the front. I see the partial print on COMC but no full print.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
The one I have has the full print on the front. I see the partial print on COMC but no full print.
How ironic, the full print on front copy on COMC (the most expensive copy) sold in the last few hours. There is still a copy with a print on the front and back available on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Topps-B...item460c2c5f27
Old 11-08-2013, 08:02 PM
Ben North

Quote:
How ironic, the full print on front copy on COMC (the most expensive copy) sold in the last few hours. There is still a copy with a print on the front and back available on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Topps-B...item460c2c5f27
A friend has this cool fingerprint 61 Willie McCovey. I have been thinking about trading him out of it. He has had it on ebay for a while with no takers.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Topps-5...f#ht_63wt_1219
Old 11-09-2013, 08:01 AM
Steve

Any members happen to be government agents? We could run it through the FBI print database and find the culprit a.s.a.p..
Old 11-09-2013, 09:47 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
A friend has this cool fingerprint 61 Willie McCovey. I have been thinking about trading him out of it. He has had it on ebay for a while with no takers.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Topps-5...f#ht_63wt_1219

That is a neat card Ben....have you seen or know of other examples of it, or is it a 1/1? The 61 McCovey would look nice next to your 61 Dalrymple.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
Any members happen to be government agents? We could run it through the FBI print database and find the culprit a.s.a.p..

My vote is for the prints on both the 61 McCovey and the 72 McNertney belonging to Sy Berger and happened when he was on a quality control inspection.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:01 AM
FredYoung

Had never heard of this before so I cked. I have 2 McNertney's--1 has the partial, (clearly evident by his bat & hat) and the other I would call a "no-print".

It doesn't look like either of them have anything on the reverse.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s View Post
Had never heard of this before so I cked. I have 2 McNertney's--1 has the partial, (clearly evident by his bat & hat) and the other I would call a "no-print".

It doesn't look like either of them have anything on the reverse.
Fred, that is interesting with your copies of this card not having the print on the back(mine does not either).... it seems that there is not a clear pattern between either having or not having the finger print (or partial print) on the front and then having or not having the finger print on the back.

Could mean that there are six unique versions of this card.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Ben North

Quote:
That is a neat card Ben....have you seen or know of other examples of it, or is it a 1/1? The 61 McCovey would look nice next to your 61 Dalrymple.
It is the only McCovey I have seen and I looked at a ton of 61 McCovey cards for another one like it. Got lucky a few days ago and picked up a card I know he wants.