NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-03-2004, 02:49 AM
Administrator

Default original goudeys versus reprints

Posted By: steve

What are the best ways to distinguish real Goudeys from reprints? Especially when you see a nice Goudey on ebay. I am very familiar with cards of the 1960's on up but not familiar with pre-WW2 cards. I see some of the listed Goudey reprints on ebay and they look astonishingly genuine. I'm afraid to bid on the ebay higher grade Goudeys listed as originals in fear that they could actually be reprints. Any guidelines about this would be most appreciated. Thank you!

Old 02-03-2004, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: nickinvegas

There are more than a dozen Goudey issues, Which year are you asking about?

Nick

Old 02-03-2004, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John Wojak

If you are talking about '33 Goudeys, the most common things to look for (and there are several different kinds of reprints, so not all reprints have all the same faults) are borders that are too wide and/or too white (not the typical Goudey "cream" color), backs that are black and not green, backs that have a scuff mark on the lower portion where the word "reprint" appeared (study some undoctored reprints to see where the word "reprint" appears, then you will know exactly where to look on questionable cards), a fuzziness or lack of crisp detail compared to known originals (especially noticeable on areas like faces), colors that seem too dark and muddy compared to known originals (especially noticeable on darker colors, like brown bats or shoes, that still show some detail within the dark area on originals but are more like solid dark blobs on reprints). Hope this helps.

Old 02-03-2004, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

I will add beware of real looking 1933-5 Goudeys with crooked cuts, and ones that appear to be paper thin. The later is often noticeable by wavyness to the edges that wouldn't apear on a regular Goudey due to it's rather hefty stock ... Never buy an ungraded Ruth or Gehrig from someone you don't know or who has a solid reputation ... Bypass sellers who use tricky language ('Looks real, but I'm not an expert' ... 'Being sold as reprint.') ... Make sure the seller is unequivical that the card is authentic (i.e. 'Guaranteed authentic') ... Make sure the seller is clear about his guarantee of authenticity. If he doesn't have it the description, email and ask him to tell what is the return policy .... In general, the seller's language about authenticity, the confidence, accuracy and nature in which they describe the item and their return policy tells me much about both the seller and the confidence he has in the product he is selling.

Old 02-03-2004, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

Used some tricky languange myself. Luckily I don't have any Goudey's for sale, so you're safe.

Old 02-03-2004, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Thanks to everyone for a quick and informative reply. I just "discovered" this forum and it is terrific - very, very enjoyable!! I plan on looking in on a regular basis and contributing when possible.

My main interest right now is in the 1933 Goudeys. Probably will expand my interest to the other Goudeys later. What a beautiful set of cards. I will heed the advice given here. Anyone with anything further to add would be most appreciated. Thanks again!!!

Old 02-03-2004, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: slacks

Yeah, this forum rocks with good info.

You might increase your knowledge by spending some time in the forum archives, see who has been posting for a long time, get a feel for how others perceive their level of expertise, and then buy something from one of these regulars in the B/S/T section or by following their link to an eBay auction.

Buying a few low grade raw cards you're sure are authentic and then spending a lot of hands-on time with the cards is a good way to wire yourself to become familar with how a genuine card from a particular series feels.

I used to work at a bank and there was a gal whose hands were better than the counterfeit detection machines - after handling money for 20 years, she knew immediately if something didn't feel right.

Speaking personally, sometimes late a night, I play with my cards by putting cards on a litttle make-believe field on my desk and moving them around the basepaths....okay I'm going to stop there, but you know what I mean.

slacks
may have gone too far there

Old 02-03-2004, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Thanks Slacks! - Those are great suggestions - I will do that.

PS: You've only gone too far if the players on the cards start talking to you. LOL

Old 02-03-2004, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

I've yet to see a reprint with "bleed-thru" on the reverse. On reprints the red banner on the bottom lines up perfectly with the edge of the picture---on some originals this is also the case. Some original cards have ink that continues on into the border, on the reprints there is a sudden jarring stop of ink. You need to familiarize yourself with the individual card to make use of this detection method. On most reprints the color is off-somewhat. Some of the reprints have perforation marks on the edges. Look for even wear, as the crooks seem to have a tough time duplicating it.

The best advice, is to look at lots of them, both in person and over the net. Buy a few reprints (as reprints) as this will help you identify them when they are being passed off as real.