NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-18-2018, 11:38 AM

Default PSA vs. SGC

Pete

this one is for you!

who do you prefer??? is one better than the other??? too many mistakes??

speak your mind, Lord knows I have

as Joan Jett would say " Fire away "

a topic probably discussed at excessively , but it's a necessary evil
Old 12-18-2018, 11:42 AM
Peter Spaeth

Johnny, you're going to get "Adrianed" if you keep starting threads lol.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:45 AM

Default Peter....

hahaha!

I was just thinking the same thing! hahaha

feast or famine with me

making up for lost time

I STILL CAN'T SEE WHY PSA COMMANDS SO MUCH OF A PREMUIM...

they both suck just as much

JOHN VANDERBECK

PSA OR SGC

contact me and I will tell you why

or read this thread!
Old 12-18-2018, 11:45 AM
Glyn Parson

Default I prefer psa

PSA especially cards graded in the last couple
Years.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:49 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

When I got back into the hobby as a teenager (15+ years ago), to me, SGC and PSA were pretty much on the same level. However, since then, PSA graded cards have taken off like a rocket.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:00 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
+1
Old 12-18-2018, 12:17 PM
Gary McNabb

Sorry, if you if you find this harsh.....my opinion of the grading company's !

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151843924@N04/albums
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8140.jpg (78.1 KB, 481 views)
Old 12-18-2018, 12:58 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
as Joan Jett would say " Fire away "
That would actually be Pat Benatar who says that.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:58 PM
J0hn Collin$

PSA is the market leader because they were smarter with their promotions in the early days. The idea of a set registry was genuis. Say what you will about the Gretzky Wagner gaffe, but it put them on the map - and there they have stayed. In recent years, PSA has become a lot tougher on vintage - my guess just as a ploy to set themselves apart from the others. You would think this goes against their credibility- one reason to have a card graded by someone who is an "expert" on the standards is that those standards should not change from 1998 to 2018, but alas - it hasn't really worked out that way. At the end of the day a high grade from PSA on a tough vintage or condition sensitive modern card is still the mark of pride that most high-profile collectors are after. Their problems aside, PSA has been able to maintain that distinction.

I have no problems with SGC and honestly think that from a collector's perspective they are probably the more fair grader overall. Beckett is more or less garbage for vintage. They are more popular with collectors of modern cards, but that's not a space I play in often.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:10 PM
D P M

I'm going SGC all the way. They are much more consistent with their grading and their customer service is top of the line.

Currently PSA cards sell for more but I don't look to sell them so i'll take the cheaper fee and must more attractive holder all day. When they finally roll out this registry with images I may even enter a few of our cards into it.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:14 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millerd33 View Post
I'm going SGC all the way. They are much more consistent with their grading and their customer service is top of the line.

Currently PSA cards sell for more but I don't look to sell them so i'll take the cheaper fee and must more attractive holder all day. When they finally roll out this registry with images I may even enter a few of our cards into it.
Will agree that on the whole SGC's holders are more aesthetically appealing. Unless you are doing '71 Topps. I do like the new PSA holders with the hologram or the lighthouse logo, but for some of the older ones, they have been around long enough now where some of the early 2000's slabs are downright nasty. Why people will buy a card for hundreds or thousands of dollars but then not bother to take care of the slab it may be residing in for the long run is something that has always perplexed me about collectors of graded cards.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:15 PM
Ben North

My 2 cents that probably isn't worth 1 cent.

PSA is a marketing genius and are constantly doing things to make them more attractive to the sellers. Now their actual product is complete garbage IMHO.

SGC until the recent changes seemed like a bunch of stoners that are happy with their product. They just didn't seem like they wanted to expand because that would mean more work. I love how cards look in their slabs and I believe they do the best job of grading cards by far.

I use both. PSA for resale and SGC for my personal collection.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:29 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

NM

Last edited by perezfan; 12-18-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:11 PM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

I used to be 50/50 PSA/SGC until I started using a loop to look at the backs of my pre-war especially T206's. I found a good portion of SGC had edge damage on the back, yes PSA had some as well but not nearly as much, and was very happy to hear of the design change.

I even posted on the thread about needing a Beckett type sleeve in between two thinner gaskets. No movement, better protection and keeps the aesthetic appeal. didn't happen.

Last edited by PiratesWS1979; 12-19-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:24 PM
Manny
Banned

Are slabs airtight?

I was thinking about this the other day when it comes to slabbed Old Judge cards...

Those cards have organic material on the surface that is basically decomposing very very slowly and releasing tiny amounts of gas (sulfur?). If the air is trapped inside the slab and can't circulate, then it is probably speeding up the decomposition of the images.

I read an article that the Hall of Fame removes all cards from slabs because they're not sure what the long term effects are.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:27 PM

Default manny

great question....I would assume so??

but you know what that means!

all my ojs are slabbed
Old 12-18-2018, 02:29 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
Are slabs airtight?

I was thinking about this the other day when it comes to slabbed Old Judge cards...

Those cards have organic material on the surface that is basically decomposing very very slowly and releasing tiny amounts of gas (sulfur?). If the air is trapped inside the slab and can't circulate, then it is probably speeding up the decomposition of the images.

I read an article that the Hall of Fame removes all cards from slabs because they're not sure what the long term effects are.
i'd assume NOT airtight!
Old 12-18-2018, 02:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Will agree that on the whole SGC's holders are more aesthetically appealing. Unless you are doing '71 Topps. I do like the new PSA holders with the hologram or the lighthouse logo, but for some of the older ones, they have been around long enough now where some of the early 2000's slabs are downright nasty. Why people will buy a card for hundreds or thousands of dollars but then not bother to take care of the slab it may be residing in for the long run is something that has always perplexed me about collectors of graded cards.
SGC holders, at least until the brand new ones, scratch if you breathe on them and get cloudy, and get these little internal cracks that reflect light. PSA holders, on the other hand, in my experience are more durable and in any case clean up beautifully for the most part with Novus. SGC do not clean well at all. My percentage of sending in SGC cards for new holders is much much higher than PSA.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-18-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:34 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Are slabs airtight?
True. The HOF if they put a card into any type of holder uses inert mylar. There is a site where you can buy products like this for cards, but I remember thinking they were very unconventional, in addition to being pretty pricey.

If you look at some of the older cards the Hall has in their collection and has used for images on calendars and the like - they used to write their collection numbers in pencil on the backs of many of the cards themselves. I would assume they don't still do this, but no way to know for sure.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:36 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
SGC holders, at least until the brand new ones, scratch if you breathe on them and get cloudy, and get these little internal cracks that reflect light. PSA holders, on the other hand, in my experience are more durable and in any case clean up beautifully for the most part with Novus. SGC do not clean well at all. My percentage of sending in SGC cards for new holders is much much higher than PSA.
I've used some of the Meguiar's products for cleaning scratches from car headlights to freshen up PSA cases before. For the most part it works quite well.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:38 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I'm sorry for every card I ever had graded with SGC. PSA is the clear choice.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:42 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Bottom line for me is SGC holders with that gasket sux. I love the black background but the cut out is terrible for securing cards. Here's a suggestion SGC keep the black gasket but insert a plastic ridge on one piece of the holder like PSA, you do that and I would bet submissions would increase. In general I think many collectors like that black background.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:49 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
Bottom line for me is SGC holders with that gasket sux. I love the black background but the cut out is terrible for securing cards. Here's a suggestion SGC keep the black gasket but insert a plastic ridge on one piece of the holder like PSA, you do that and I would bet submissions would increase. In general I think many collectors like that black background.
Yes, the black background/border is the key to SGC packaging. Cards look better in SGC holders but PSA has a price advantage when it comes to sales. Since I don't sell much, I don't care.

As of late, I wouldn't trust much of what SGC authenticates in the way of signed cards. Probably goes the same for most of the signature/autograph authenticators (opinions). What a mess....
Old 12-18-2018, 03:13 PM
Pete Sycks

GMA is the best

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 12-18-2018, 03:27 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
GMA is the best
Hard to argue with that. Only company I know of that will sell you empty slabs and a machine to seal those slabs.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:05 PM

BOTH.

I think SGC does a better job on the pre-war cards. To me a 3 or 4 in SGC looks nicer than PSA, even newer PSA ones with the hologram. Now, PSA today may have caught up, I don't know.

For my 70's cards, I prefer PSA. And yes, much because of the registry.

I have no clue about the 50's and 60's cards who is better.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:13 PM
John P
Joh.n Per.rotta

Default Psa

I prefer PSA any day .Had very Bad experiences with SGC.

John P
Old 12-18-2018, 04:37 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Definitely a PSA guy. Love the registry. Sure, they all have warts, but all are good for some things and bad at others.

And if you're really using snips to cut SGC cases, you're doing it wrong. You can usually "crack" and SGC case just by running a butter knife up and down the side seam.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:46 PM
Christopher Herman

Quote:
Wow. Adrian. That was an entertaining saga.

My needs lists:
W514 strip cards
W515-2 strip cards
Old 12-18-2018, 04:57 PM
Steve Birmingham

I asked SGC, and they are not airtight.
I believe PSAs slabs are also not airtight.

Now whether they have enough air transfer to prevent problems is another thing. We do know that there are PSA slabs with acidic cardboard that have been sealed for over 25 years, and they seem fine. But archivists look for more.

Quote:
Are slabs airtight?

Old 12-18-2018, 04:58 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

My ego does not require a registry set for life support. My wallet thanks my ego for this. My resale value for my low to mid grade vintage cards expressed as a percentage (ie - Return on Investment) is virtually identical for PSA, SGC & BVG slabs. To be sure I do not sell BVG slabs for PSA prices and I don’t pay PSA prices for SGC slabs. And yes to make $1000 I have to sell more BVG slabs than I would have to sell PSA slabs, but my costs are the same. You can spend $750 on any company’s slabs and sell them in 3-5 years for $1000. I have done this and have the data as proof. I am not a crossover artist and am not a flipper. Most of my sales are the result of upgrades.

Be wise, buy the card, not the slab, not the TPG ,not the grade and don’t overpay and you will be fine.

I have said all this before and realize that I may be a minority of one, but I am a very content minority of one. I will neither make or lose a fortune in a hobby I enjoy.

. . . . .

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:08 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
PSA especially cards graded in the last couple
Years.
+1, especially after SGC's snafu at the National this year, delegating intake work to customers by computer with insufficient terminals to do it efficiently. One had a choice of either going through the show and searching for rare items sought expeditiously, or standing in line for what looked to be possibly hours while customers/dealers monopolized the three intake computers with several hundred cards each. IMHO, not a good move from a customer relations standpoint. Unless it's an item I really, really want and am not likely to see again soon, I skip SGC entirely now.

PSA also had by far the sturdier holders--has that changed since SGC went to their newer ones?

Just my two cents, based on being a sole practitioner, running my own law practice for more than 21 years,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 12-18-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:28 PM

Default Larry...

Wow! didn't know about the sgc damaging the bottom of the card
Old 12-18-2018, 05:35 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
It is not just the bottom it is all 4 sides. Some of the gaskets look like a lefty was using a pair of dull right handed scissors to cut them.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:44 PM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
It's not the SGC gasket completely, it's the amount of movement the thinner T206 ect cards have. The Goudey, Topps and Bowman stay in place so I've never found any damage on them.

iwantitiwinit had a good idea:

Old 12-18-2018, 07:02 PM
Jay Swartz

Default on SGC

loved their old holders, far better quality than PSA. but when they changed to cheaper looking labels and holders they lost my business. but then you are stuck with those ridiculous wait times at PSA. no win situation.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:13 PM
James Bom.marito

Does anyone have an idea on what the future of 1933 Indian gum cards and 1933 sports kings have in the card collecting hobby
I have many many in both collections in sgc 88 and psa 8

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2019, 11:25 PM
James Bom.marito

I happen to think the Indian cards are extremely interesting
In 1933 goudey made Indian cards without the technology of today far more beautiful and interesting than any card made since then
I really like the sports kings because they are multi sports and are just really cool...
Billiards, track, boxing, sledding, etc...
Very interesting...i enjoy history; hence, these cards are extremely important and, indeed, fun to own.
More fun to own a Geronimo 1933 w the history on back of card than say a average joe 1933 baseball card.
Those Indian cards are real historical folks that were amazing.
And the sports kings are just darn interesting...fun to know who was the best at their particular craft in the 30s

Old 07-17-2019, 11:36 PM
James Bom.marito

I would like to say that i am tired of talking about whats better
Sgc or PSA
My sgc 88 Indian cards are almost perfect easily the best I've seen in that set
Yes better than PSA 8s
My sports kings are mostly psa 8s
And i would say its a tie between my 25 or so psa 8s and 10 sgc 88s
I know zero about other yrs and sets because ive only collected 33 goudeys
Baseball, Indian ,and sports kings at a serious level...yes i have other cards but one here and one there

Old 07-18-2019, 12:02 AM
James Bom.marito

Grading cards is so subjective
It was pointed out to me when i became serious about collecting that half grades are not a good idea...i have to agree.
Is it a 7 or an 8
Its not a 7.5 in my opinion after thinking about it.
Who the hell knows if its a 7.5...not graders
Its a high 7 or lower 8
All it does is screw people up
Some get rewarded on one side and others get screwed on the other side...doesn't help anyone actually hurts

Old 07-18-2019, 07:08 PM
Kenny Cole

To some degree, I think it may depend on what you plan to do with the card. If it is a purchase to re-sell, PSA is the clear winner. The registry was pure genius. It appeals to ego and elitism, causes you to spend 100X what a card is worth for the "best copy," and then strokes you even more if you do it a lot by giving you an award for, IMO, being so stupid. And, even better, it is a continuous, unending, screw job. New people get sucked in and the cycle continues. Literally the perfect scam. Wish I had thought of it.

Conversely, SGC is, well, SGC. I haven't sent any cards to be graded to either for years, but when I did, it was always SGC. I personally thought that SGC did a better job and since I was having them graded for my personal collection, I wasn't nearly so concerned with all the BS. Nor was the disparity as great then as it is now. When it comes time for me (or more likely my wife) to sell my personal collection, that may well end up being a poor decision financially. But I still think SGC does a better and more consistent job of actually grading the card than PSA does. My $.o2, which is probably not worth even that much.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:30 PM
Brad Sherlag

I am indifferent. Buy cards in both holders and try to buy cards I like for the grade regardless of which one is grading it. I tend to buy about 60/40 PSA because there are more out there.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:59 PM
pete ullman

no sarcasm/jokes, Frank? what's this world coming to???

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
My ego does not require a registry set for life support. My wallet thanks my ego for this. My resale value for my low to mid grade vintage cards expressed as a percentage (ie - Return on Investment) is virtually identical for PSA, SGC & BVG slabs. To be sure I do not sell BVG slabs for PSA prices and I don’t pay PSA prices for SGC slabs. And yes to make $1000 I have to sell more BVG slabs than I would have to sell PSA slabs, but my costs are the same. You can spend $750 on any company’s slabs and sell them in 3-5 years for $1000. I have done this and have the data as proof. I am not a crossover artist and am not a flipper. Most of my sales are the result of upgrades.

Be wise, buy the card, not the slab, not the TPG ,not the grade and don’t overpay and you will be fine.

I have said all this before and realize that I may be a minority of one, but I am a very content minority of one. I will neither make or lose a fortune in a hobby I enjoy.

. . . . .
Old 07-18-2019, 08:59 PM
pete ullman

i agree with you 100%!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
To some degree, I think it may depend on what you plan to do with the card. If it is a purchase to re-sell, PSA is the clear winner. The registry was pure genius. It appeals to ego and elitism, causes you to spend 100X what a card is worth for the "best copy," and then strokes you even more if you do it a lot by giving you an award for, IMO, being so stupid. And, even better, it is a continuous, unending, screw job. New people get sucked in and the cycle continues. Literally the perfect scam. Wish I had thought of it.

Conversely, SGC is, well, SGC. I haven't sent any cards to be graded to either for years, but when I did, it was always SGC. I personally thought that SGC did a better job and since I was having them graded for my personal collection, I wasn't nearly so concerned with all the BS. Nor was the disparity as great then as it is now. When it comes time for me (or more likely my wife) to sell my personal collection, that may well end up being a poor decision financially. But I still think SGC does a better and more consistent job of actually grading the card than PSA does. My $.o2, which is probably not worth even that much.