NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 03-21-2015, 10:26 AM
John

Default Chuck bednarik has passed away

He played before my time, they say he was one ofthr toughest ones in the nfl of all-time.

john
Old 03-21-2015, 03:32 PM
Rich Nelson

He was one of the last players to play offense and defense. He hit Frank Gifford so hard on a play in 1960 that Gifford didn't play again until 1962. Was always a gracious ttm signer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EPSON025.jpg (56.9 KB, 55 views)
Old 03-21-2015, 04:06 PM
FredYoung

Very weird! Just the other day I posted his '50 Bowman in "My Favorite FB Card" thread.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:28 PM

I remember reading a nice article on Chuck in the 80s, telling of his experiences in a B-17 when he was still quite young, possibly in his teens, as well as his football career.

I still proudly own his gorgeous 1951 Bowman card, as well as his very eye-appealing 1961 Fleer, and the amazing 1962 Salada Coin, which I think is a short print.

Regardless, this is not the time, I guess. I salute one great man. The next time you sing our National Anthem, and you come to the words "whom so proudly we hail", think of Chuck Bednarik.

He's the kind of guy that made our country great.

May God comfort his family, and may he enjoy heaven with the Lord.

--Brian Powell
Old 03-22-2015, 11:05 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn1661 View Post
He was one of the last players to play offense and defense. He hit Frank Gifford so hard on a play in 1960 that Gifford didn't play again until 1962. Was always a gracious ttm signer.
The hit on Gifford, and Bednarik's "This ******* game is over," quote at the end of the 1960 NFL title game made Bednarik an iconic figure in both Philadelphia and Bethlehem, Pa., where he lived. If ever there was a guy modeled after the city where he was born, Bednarik in the steel town of Bethlehem, Pa., was it.

The linked article is a fabulous bio of Bednarik.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...arik_dies.html

On one of the Philly boards I read, a poster told a story about seeing Bednarik speak at a banquet about 20 years ago. Bednarik began the speech by asking for the house lights to be turned out. After the lights were momentarily turned out, Bednarik told the crowd that now they know "how Frank Gifford felt after I hit him."

I know Bednarik's irascible personality and quick temper were a big part of his legend, but I never got tired of listening to him ***** about the current state of the game: how all the modern players should wear a dress when they play, none of them could have played in the '50s, they are all soft prima donnas because they only play on one side of the ball, etc.

Last edited by Bored5000; 03-22-2015 at 01:53 PM.