NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-22-2014, 12:25 PM
Michael

Default Real DiMaggio Autograph ?

Any help would be appreciated. I have little money in the ball so I have nothing to lose and everything to gain. It's on a Bobby Brown AL ball. Let me know what you think. Real or Faux ?

Old 07-22-2014, 12:52 PM
Scott

Not really totally confident, but would lean toward "that's good"
Old 07-22-2014, 03:57 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

It would be nice if you posted your name. Is is also nice to know that you have nothing to lose and everything to gain at no cost to you.

Last edited by shelly; 07-22-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:03 PM
Michael

My name is Michael.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
It would be nice if you posted your name. Is is also nice to know that you have nothing to lose and everything to gain at no cost to you.
Uh oh... The "Advice Nazi" strikes again. "No advice for you!"
Old 07-22-2014, 05:21 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Uh oh... The "Advice Nazi" strikes again. "No advice for you!"

Are you aware of Shelly's family history in Europe?

Your "Advice Nazi" was an inappropriate choice of words.

By the way, Mr. Atkatz, what is your opinion on the Joe DiMaggio?
Old 07-22-2014, 05:30 PM
Michael

All I wanted was some advice on the ball and with the exception of one person all I'm getting is useless comments. As for the Nazi comment, I have a very Jewish last name and I DID NOT find the Seinfeld reference comment offensive. Just useless and humorless. What a great first impression for my first post.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:51 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds308 View Post
All I wanted was some advice on the ball and with the exception of one person all I'm getting is useless comments. As for the Nazi comment, I have a very Jewish last name and I DID NOT find the Seinfeld reference comment offensive. Just useless and humorless. What a great first impression for my first post.
You already got your answer over here, Michael, didn't you.

http://live.autographmagazine.com/fo...joe-difauxggio
Old 07-22-2014, 06:04 PM
Shale Levine

Quote:
I have been on this forum now for 4 years and though I am not bothered by the banter, bickering and insults thrown around on some of the forum discussions I am disturbed when what I find a Anti Semitic remark is made. I am Jewish as well though my family came here at the turn of the century from Russia to escape killing of Jews by the pogroms. Many of my friends parents were lucky to survive the Nazi camps thankfully but many more were killed. I would not ask David for an apology, He has been a great help to me as well as others on autographs. It is up to him if he feels it be appropriate. As far as Michael is concerned and I have learned this the hard way, you need to disclose all you can about your item including if you have had others look at it and give an opinion. Lets please avoid any remarks here that attach someone personally. Attack them for being ignorant, naive, or for lying if that is what makes you feel better.
Last, Thank you Leon for such a great forum we all enjoy.

Last edited by toyman55; 07-22-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:15 PM
Richard Simon

Shale,
David has insisted on attacking Shelly personally. That is the only personal attack I have seen on this thread due to Chris posting it, as I have David on a block to avoid seeing his usual personal attacks which are usually directed toward Shelly and/or Chris.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 07-22-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:03 PM
Michael

Quote:
You already got your answer over here, Michael, didn't you.

http://live.autographmagazine.com/fo...joe-difauxggio
At the other site I received one ignorant response followed by a genuine response followed by two yes-men. I was referred to this site by a good friend who recommended the knowledge of its users. He informed me that the good folks here would be able to help ID the ball. Is there something wrong with learning from two different forums?

Before anybody criticizes me for a duplicate post, by mistake, I had posted this question in another section of this forum. In my defense, I have emailed the moderator and asked him to remove the first post.

Can't we all just get along?
Old 07-22-2014, 07:08 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
At the other site I received one ignorant response followed by a genuine response followed by two yes-men. I was referred to this site by a good friend who recommended the knowledge of its users. He informed me that the good folks here would be able to help ID the ball. Is there something wrong with learning from two different forums?

Before anybody criticizes me for a duplicate post, by mistake, I had posted this question in another section of this forum. In my defense, I have emailed the moderator and asked him to remove the first post.

Yes, of course you can, but from what I read the responce you recived is spot on. The ball is authentic but so faded it will not get much for it.
Am I missing anything.
The one thing you will never get on this site is yes men. Everyone has an opinion but most of the time it works out to be the correct answer.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:12 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Shelly,
You have stated several times that you will no longer offer your autograph expertise to anyone that hasn't been a member for one (or two, or five, whatever) years. I would respectively submit that adhering to that decision would be preferable to what you have been doing lately with unsuspecting newcomers.

While anyone may be subject to some scrutiny (and some deservedly so), I think that a few questions with an attitude of 'help first' would serve us all better.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:23 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Not a problem. You take it from here. Remember there just babes in the woods. You can help them all you want.

Last edited by shelly; 07-22-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
Are you aware of Shelly's family history in Europe?

Your "Advice Nazi" was an inappropriate choice of words.

By the way, Mr. Atkatz, what is your opinion on the Joe DiMaggio?
Chris, as the OP said, there was nothing inappropriate about the Seinfeld reference. I'm sure that Seinfeld, and Larry David, and every other Jew associated with that show lost relatives in the Holocaust, too

As did I. The name "Atkatz" is a bastardization of the name of a town in Lithuania. That town no longer exists. Wanna guess where it went? On my other side, my maternal grandfather, Isadore Horowitz, came here from Lodz, Poland. Ever hear of the Lodz Ghetto? I don't think the Horowitzs left behind fared too well.

I've enjoyed getting along with you lately, Chris, and I'd like to keep it that way. So, to reiterate, there was nothing inappropriate about what I said.

My opinion on the DiMaggio is not relevant. I'm no expert on DiMaggio, so my opinion would be worthless.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 07-22-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:30 PM

Just saw your post, Shale. I'm sorry if I offended you, but, really, offended by a play on Seinfeld's Soup Nazi? I always thought we Jews--especially those of Eastern European descent--had a sense of humor.
I hope you'll read what I (a Lidvock/Polish Jew, and very proud of it) posted above.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:43 PM
Michael

Shelly,

Thank you. This was all I asked for.

David,

Russian, Romanian & Polish (and as Cartman from South Park would say) J-O-O.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Mike Kaminski

Quote:

Old 07-22-2014, 08:45 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
We've been labeled 'useless' by the 6-post guy twice in one post. I think that's a new record. Not to defend anything anyone has done in your thread, but if it were me, I'd read a few threads of similar ilk before posting. You'll find that there are about, oh...a gazillion threads asking if items signed by DiMaggio, Ruth, Mantle, Koufax, etc., are real. Such threads could give you an idea of how to walk about in here, and what to expect. You would find that we've had a lot of new guys asking such questions and the responses were not always real nice, and the reactions to civil responses were not always very respectful (We frequently give free advice and get our asses kicked for it). Also keep in mind that it's an internet forum, so while it's probably the best one (in the entire internet, including Canada), you are guaranteed to have to read lots of crap, even in your own thread that you personally started, where you would like to rule exactly how everyone responds.

In fact, I bet I get a wrist-slap from someone for this post, and that's fine.

..and welcome.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:12 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post

In fact, I bet I get a wrist-slap from someone for this post, and that's fine.

..and welcome.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 07-22-2014, 09:14 PM

Three more Eastern European Jews!
Old 07-22-2014, 09:19 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Three more Eastern European Jews!
Though I'm not Jewish, I'm glad I could contribute in a positive way!

Old 07-22-2014, 10:17 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
Someone told me that I could be the 3rd stooge in their group. I wisely chose Moe. "With a rebel yell, I cried Moe, Moe, Moe....Moe Moe Moe!!!"
Old 07-23-2014, 08:47 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
This club allows non Jews to join also,, glad to have you aboard .
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 07-23-2014, 09:28 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Chris, as the OP said, there was nothing inappropriate about the Seinfeld reference. I'm sure that Seinfeld, and Larry David, and every other Jew associated with that show lost relatives in the Holocaust, too

As did I. The name "Atkatz" is a bastardization of the name of a town in Lithuania. That town no longer exists. Wanna guess where it went? On my other side, my maternal grandfather, Isadore Horowitz, came here from Lodz, Poland. Ever hear of the Lodz Ghetto? I don't think the Horowitzs left behind fared too well.

I've enjoyed getting along with you lately, Chris, and I'd like to keep it that way. So, to reiterate, there was nothing inappropriate about what I said.

My opinion on the DiMaggio is not relevant. I'm no expert on DiMaggio, so my opinion would be worthless.
I'm Jewish too and I wasn't offended in the least about the "Autograph Nazi" remark. I thought it was funny. Werdesheims, Bercovich's & Horkheimers OH MY. With a name like Tapia? Go Figure. Shelly has thick skin and it's ok to bust balls once in a while.

Oh, and the Dimaggio is authentic and faded worth about 150-180 IMHO
Old 07-23-2014, 09:52 AM

Sometimes this forum gets a little too "Nick The Computer Guy"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfKL6RM8hsY
Old 07-23-2014, 11:01 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Mark, Richard forgot to mention the Mohel.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:24 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Richard,
Thanks for the invite, but If Shelly's comment does have me rethinking a little bit. One snip per lifetime is enough I think.
Best,
Mark

https://screen.yahoo.com/royal-deluxe-ii-000000400.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCl53K1uJTQ

Last edited by Lordstan; 07-23-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:56 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Richard,
Thanks for the invite, but If Shelly's comment does have me rethinking a little bit. One snip per lifetime is enough I think.
Best,
Mark

https://screen.yahoo.com/royal-deluxe-ii-000000400.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCl53K1uJTQ
I have been told that it only hurts for 24 hours
--
Old 07-23-2014, 05:04 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
You don't have to be Jewish to contribute here...but it couldn't hurt. You can spin the driedel with Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock [both Jewish]

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-23-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:05 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
I have been told that it only hurts for 24 hours
Yeah, that's what they told me to sell me on a vasectomy. Six months later when I could cross my legs again without screaming...

"Easier than a dental filling" they said. Riiigghhhhtttt.... When I get a filling I get valium before, nitrous during and vicodin after. For a vasectomy I got a local and Tylenol. Tylenol! They might as well have waved a chicken bone and chanted over my sack--it's gotta be as effective at relieving pain as Tylenol and I can drink afterwards.

I didn't even want the damned vasectomy; it was a birthday present from my wife.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-23-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:13 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Yeah, that's what they told me to sell me on a vasectomy. Six months later when I could cross my legs again without screaming...

"Easier than a dental filling" they said. Riiigghhhhtttt.... When I get a filling I get valium before, nitrous during and vicodin after. For a vasectomy I got a local and Tylenol. Tylenol! They might as well have waved a chicken bone and chanted over my sack--it's gotta be as effective at relieving pain as Tylenol and I can drink afterwards.

I didn't even want the damned vasectomy; it was a birthday present from my wife.
Mazel tov and Zei Gezunt!

See. A little more practice and I'll have it all down.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:17 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
You don't have to be Jewish to contribute here...but it couldn't hurt. You can spin the driedel with Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock [both Jewish]

L'bn l'ang 'wn g'dyya'n
(Live long and Prosper in Yiddish)

OK. I admit I had to look that one up.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:12 PM
Michael

Look what I started. I guess all is well that ends well. I hope I didn't burn any bridges. Thanks to everyone that replied. I realize when you come to a forum as a new guy it's like coming into a strangers house only this time I forgot to wipe my feet and I didn't put the seat down when I was finished. My bad. Thanks again and I really do appreciate the help, advice and comments.

Michael
Old 07-23-2014, 07:43 PM
JT R0berts

.....and to cap it all off....Adam Sandler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeC8...e_gdata_player
Old 07-23-2014, 08:00 PM
Carmelo N.

Quote:
Look what I started. I guess all is well that ends well. I hope I didn't burn any bridges. Thanks to everyone that replied. I realize when you come to a forum as a new guy it's like coming into a strangers house only this time I forgot to wipe my feet and I didn't put the seat down when I was finished. My bad. Thanks again and I really do appreciate the help, advice and comments.

Michael
Nah not at all, you walked into a zoo and the "lions" attacked. I felt the same way. There are some awesome knowledgeable people on this forum. However some take a "new" guy as a scam artist from the get. From another "new guy" welcome
Old 07-23-2014, 08:56 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Sorry, I started this and I will end this. Most of the time when you enter a zoo you know what your going to get. I am sure that is true with you.
When people asked for your name you said I am the most famous guy in the new industry. Not one person has any idea what and who you are.
They do know that a donkey might be called a mule but there is big defense. When you grow up and find out what is missing come back on here.
A zoo is there to make people see something they might have never seen before. You are someone we will see over and over again.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:04 PM
Carmelo N.

You will come to learn mr. Shelly= mr. Negativity to all your post. He seems to want to win every argument (even when not presented).
Old 07-23-2014, 09:16 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Sorry, I started this and I will end this. Most of the time when you enter a zoo you know what your going to get. I am sure that is true with you.
When people asked for your name you said I am the most famous guy in the new industry. Not one person has any idea what and who you are.
They do know that a donkey might be called a mule but there is big defense. When you grow up and find out what is missing come back on here.
A zoo is there to make people see something they might have never seen before. You are someone we will see over and over again.
Reminds me of the famous "Chuck, there are 3 kinds of people in the world: D##ks, P***ies, and Ass****les." speech of 2004. Found in the documentary Team America:World Police.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:32 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyygameused View Post
You will come to learn mr. Shelly= mr. Negativity to all your post. He seems to want to win every argument (even when not presented).
Not entirely true. If one chooses to answer direct questions in an obtuse manner, or stands on the "Do you know who I AM? method of retort, Yes Shelly will be there a-banging as will many of us. Sometimes smoke is just smoke. But sometimes it's not. Shelly is like the drug dog who marks on every bag and makes us all go thru special screening at the airport. If we don't vette properly, the forgers have won.
I am 3 seconds fro ambienihilation.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:20 PM
Carmelo N.

If not The cops of the internet..... Who will protect us?
Old 07-24-2014, 07:45 AM

Just wondering, as a Jew on this site, are we considered by others to be "trimmed?"
Old 07-24-2014, 08:24 AM
Michael

All my autographed balls have mini Kippahs.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:30 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
You are projecting. You dug your heels in and refused to budge when a few simple requests were put to you. Since then you've done nothing to make things any better. Alienating Shelly and quite a few others on this forum isn't doing you any good, and you've made it very obvious that you could care less.

So don't compare yourself to this guy - like me and many others here, he figured things out and he's here to have some fun.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:33 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocjack View Post
Just wondering, as a Jew on this site, are we considered by others to be "trimmed?"
The question is do the women grade it authentic

Last edited by shelly; 07-24-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:51 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
The question is do the women grade it authentic
Good to see that an old(er) man has not lost interest .
--
Old 07-24-2014, 12:33 PM
Carmelo N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
You are projecting. You dug your heels in and refused to budge when a few simple requests were put to you. Since then you've done nothing to make things any better. Alienating Shelly and quite a few others on this forum isn't doing you any good, and you've made it very obvious that you could care less.

So don't compare yourself to this guy - like me and many others here, he figured things out and he's here to have some fun.
I was "alienated" first on here sir, regardless of that fact I decided not to leave this forum. What stance can one take when every follow up to one of his/her post is a negative and or argumentative one? I haven't put anyone down/ alienated anyone on here (I'm not sure how one can do so over the internet anyway)

Last edited by Nyygameused; 07-24-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:53 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
I was "alienated" first on here sir, regardless of that fact I decided not to leave this forum. What stance can one take when every follow up to one of his/her post is a negative and or argumentative one? I haven't put anyone down/ alienated anyone on here (I'm not sure how one can do so over the internet anyway)
Well, then I guess taking a shot at people here any chance you get, is your only option Good luck with that.

Last edited by Runscott; 07-24-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:38 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

[QUOTE=Lordstan;1301115]Richard,
Best,
Mark
Mark I think you made a wise decision

Doctors Cut Off Alabama Man's Penis During Routine ...
www.inquisitr.com/1370670/doctors-cut-off-penis/
by Jonathan Vankin - 17 hours ago - A man's penis was amputated by doctors when he went in for a circumcision, without any explanation why, a new lawsuit alleges.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:40 PM
Belltown Vintage

I have a friend who did it 3 times, undone twice, both times to have more children with a new wife. Other than that, he seemed like an intelligent guy.