NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-24-2014, 06:11 PM
Banned

Just like Mantle, Jeter is not even the best player on his own team. I would much rather have had Mariano Rivera than Jeter, and Yogi or Ford over Mantle. The mystique that surrounds players, especially when we see them play when we are young, tends to help overshadow their results.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:17 PM
Christopher Williams

If you're patient, and if you know Jeter's autograph, there are some great deals out there.

I own eight Jeter rookie (1996) autographed baseballs and the highest price I paid was $179.99.

I've paid $99.00 and less for early Jeter autographed cards.

$1,000.00? No way!!!!
Old 07-24-2014, 08:19 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
If you're patient, and if you know Jeter's autograph, there are some great deals out there.

I own eight Jeter rookie (1996) autographed baseballs and the highest price I paid was $179.99.

I've paid $99.00 and less for early Jeter autographed cards.

$1,000.00? No way!!!!
I need to find one of those deals!

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 07-25-2014, 08:41 AM

Most overhyped player in the history of baseball. Is he a hall of fame player? Yes, he is Paul Molitor with better looking girlfriends. But please, he was never even the best SHORTSTOP in the league. Living in NY (not a Yankee fan) I respect him for being the anti-Aroid, but overrated and canonized WAY too much. I'm more impressed by his girlfriends than his game.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:07 AM

Who was better other than A-rod who was cheating?

Molitor did not play shortstop (a premium position) so not really sure what makes his career similar to Jeter's.

Molitor only played 1,495 of his 2,683 games in the field. Also only played 11 of his 21 seasons at third base.

Not comparable in my opinion.

Jeter plays shortstop. It is one of the most demanding and important positions on the field, rivaled only by catcher and centerfielder. And unlike his longevity predecessors (Vizquel, Smith) he can hit. He is an aberration.

Last edited by packs; 07-25-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:39 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Who was better other than A-rod who was cheating?

Molitor did not play shortstop (a premium position) so not really sure what makes his career similar to Jeter's.

Molitor only played 1,495 of his 2,683 games in the field. Also only played 11 of his 21 seasons at third base.

Not comparable in my opinion.

Jeter plays shortstop. It is one of the most demanding and important positions on the field, rivaled only by catcher and centerfielder. And unlike his longevity predecessors (Vizquel, Smith) he can hit. He is an aberration.
Ditto.

Well written, Packs.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:46 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

He's currently 9th on the all time hit list, he must be doing something ok.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 07-25-2014, 06:48 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr2 View Post
He's currently 9th on the all time hit list, he must be doing something ok.
Absolutely.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:14 PM
Rob

To the original question:

No.

I can't think of anyone's that is.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:57 AM

Mr Jeter was NEVER a great defensive shortstop, very little range, and an average arm. Aroid, Garciaparra Miguel Tejada, Troy Tulowitzki, and others were always superior to Jeter, until injuries and PED's curtailed their careers. I respect Jeter's talent and longevity, the way he has carried himself, but I hardly think he is worthy of all the plaudits he receives for his talent. He was NEVER the best player in the league, never even the best player on his own team, so putting him on such a pedestal to me is ludicrous.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:01 AM

And this years "Farewell Tour" is an embarrassment. For a "team guy" he is killing his team this year by playing. Mariano Rivera, who IS the best relief pitcher ever, retired on top of his game, with class, Jeter is doing the opposite. Steiner is the ONLY one doing well by him being at shortstop this year.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:34 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbaseball View Post
And this years "Farewell Tour" is an embarrassment. For a "team guy" he is killing his team this year by playing. Mariano Rivera, who IS the best relief pitcher ever, retired on top of his game, with class, Jeter is doing the opposite. Steiner is the ONLY one doing well by him being at shortstop this year.
In my lifetime, I've seen my Yankees win the World Series nine times.

I have absolutely no issue with Jeter playing shortstop and batting second.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:27 AM

I'm with you and think his autograph prices are insane. But I don't see how you can take anything away from his career.

Last edited by packs; 07-28-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:54 AM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbaseball View Post
Guessing you're a jealous mets fan?
Old 07-28-2014, 08:54 AM
Steve Zarelli

I can't help but wonder if because of Rivera's farewell tour last year, Jeter was essentially forced into doing his tour this year.

In my opinion, Rivera's personality (down-to-earth and truly a people person) was a much better fit than Jeter. Not to take anything away from Jeter's skills, but I have never perceived him as warm and fuzzy with the fans. He is someone to be more admired from a distance, like DiMaggio.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Not to take anything away from Jeter's skills, but I have never perceived him as warm and fuzzy with the fans. He is someone to be more admired from a distance, like DiMaggio.
+1
Old 07-28-2014, 10:35 AM
Mark Fox

With regards to the original topic and autograph values, I've always found it frustrating that the valuation of modern autographs is the only segment of the entire sports memorabilia/card hobby where the market value and price can be dictated by the athlete themselves (or those that represent them).
Old 07-28-2014, 11:20 AM
J@son.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
In my opinion, Rivera's personality (down-to-earth and truly a people person) was a much better fit than Jeter. Not to take anything away from Jeter's skills, but I have never perceived him as warm and fuzzy with the fans. He is someone to be more admired from a distance, like DiMaggio.
I didn't really like Jeter until recently and I used to think Jeter seemed like a smug athlete...but just this past year, I have started to feel like he is a rather personable and nice guy. I work with a guy who played in the minor leagues and he said they all had training with the Yankees one year. Of all the Yankees he met, he confirmed that ARod was a stuck-up guy but that Jeter actually took the time to talk to the minor leaguers and give pointers and chat with them. This coworker (a Dodgers fan who hates the Yankees) walked away from that convinced that Jeter is a truly nice guy.

Last edited by djson1; 07-28-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:24 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
With regards to the original topic and autograph values, I've always found it frustrating that the valuation of modern autographs is the only segment of the entire sports memorabilia/card hobby where the market value and price can be dictated by the athlete themselves (or those that represent them).
Mark,
I think market value and market price are 2 different things. I disagree with your thought that either are set by the player. Even in Jeter's case, the price for modern days athletes are still dictated by the market. If no one purchased Jeter's auto at these prices, Steiner would lower them or cancel the contract they have with him. Same for anyone else, if people stopped paying these prices for the players at shows or through private signings, the prices would come down. The marketplace also sets his value on the secondary market as on ebay I have seen very few items, of any player, sell from close to what Steiner originally sold that same them for.

Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 07-28-2014, 11:25 AM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Not entirely true. Many game used items are controlled by the players or agents of the players. Also, the market is the market. Just because Steiner is charging $1000, doesn't mean the market value is $1000. Only if you must have that particular ball (base, bobblehead, whatever).

I know many professionals who have such autographed items in their office for perceived status. They did absolutely no research on price, availability or authenticity. It serves as a way to show off, just like their latest car or wife.

Edit: Also what Mark said.

Last edited by Deertick; 07-28-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:59 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by djson1 View Post
I didn't really like Jeter until recently and I used to think Jeter seemed like a smug athlete...but just this past year, I have started to feel like he is a rather personable and nice guy. I work with a guy who played in the minor leagues and he said they all had training with the Yankees one year. Of all the Yankees he met, he confirmed that ARod was a stuck-up guy but that Jeter actually took the time to talk to the minor leaguers and give pointers and chat with them. This coworker (a Dodgers fan who hates the Yankees) walked away from that convinced that Jeter is a truly nice guy.
There is no doubt other pro ball players like and respect Jeter. I'm not so sure that it translates to people "not in the club." The few times I met him in the mid 90s, he was distant at best -- and it was in a setting for the purpose of meeting fans. And that was before he was a big star. I don't think my experience is unique.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:00 PM
J@son.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
I know many professionals who have such autographed items in their office for perceived status. They did absolutely no research on price, availability or authenticity. It serves as a way to show off, just like their latest car or wife.
...)
So true. My family doctor has a huge framed Michael Jordan signed piece in his office...and I'm about 99% sure it's a forgery...but I just can't seem to come around to tell him that. He's really proud of it.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:25 PM
Mark Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
Mark,
I think market value and market price are 2 different things. I disagree with your thought that either are set by the player. Even in Jeter's case, the price for modern days athletes are still dictated by the market. If no one purchased Jeter's auto at these prices, Steiner would lower them or cancel the contract they have with him. Same for anyone else, if people stopped paying these prices for the players at shows or through private signings, the prices would come down. The marketplace also sets his value on the secondary market as on ebay I have seen very few items, of any player, sell from close to what Steiner originally sold that same them for.

Mark
I agree to a point and maybe I should append my initial thought a little. The player does influence the market value of his signature, the value is not equivalent to the price they charge, but it is impacted by it.

Just a small example would be that Jeter charges north of $400 for a ball at a signing (or has in the past, I don't know what his current rate is for live signings). Whereas Frank Thomas charges around $100 for a ball at a signing. A Jeter ball can not be had for less than $200 typically, where as a Thomas signed ball can be found for between $50-$60 pretty frequently.

There is definitely an effect on the value of an autographed, based on what a player charges for it.

Last edited by markf31; 07-28-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:05 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
I agree to a point and maybe I should append my initial thought a little. The player does influence the market value of his signature, the value is not equivalent to the price they charge, but it is impacted by it.

Just a small example would be that Jeter charges north of $400 for a ball at a signing (or has in the past, I don't know what his current rate is for live signings). Whereas Frank Thomas charges around $100 for a ball at a signing. A Jeter ball can not be had on Ebay for less than $200 typically, where as a Thomas signed ball can be found for between $50-$60 pretty frequently.

There is definitely an effect on the value of an autographed, based on what a player charges for it.

I understand what you're saying, but if people on ebay stopped paying $200 for Jeter signed balls, the price would come down regardless of how much he charges. Conversely, if sellers knew that people would pay $200 for a Frank Thomas ball, that's what they would sell it for. It does effect it a little as people may be more willing to spend $200 on a Jeter, knowing it'll cost them $400 at a signing, but I think it's more a function of supply and demand. Total auto amounts controlled by Steiner make for a more limited supply and being a very popular player on a very popular team makes for high demand.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL