NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-07-2014, 03:44 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Default Surprise in-person autos!

I LOVE reading this forum daily-have for years!
One of the things that keeps me coming back is the 'stories' behind the acquisition of autographs....specifically 'surprise...holy cow I didn't know HE shopped here' types of things.

For instance, as a teen in the '90's I worked at a local supermarket and, guess what...even HOF'ers have to eat! Lucky me...autographs!! I was able to acquire the auto's of many '90's Red Sox players, a few Patriots and even HOF'ers Dennis Eckersley and KC JOnes!!

What experiences have you had where you looked up and saw...Sandy Koufax at the bank...or Bill Terry at the gas station??

Looking forward to some great stories!!
Andrew
Old 07-07-2014, 04:17 PM
Richard Simon

Rocky Graziano standing outside an Off Track Betting Office, very gracious and thanked me for asking for his autograph.
Robin Roberts shot me down outside the Polo Grounds after a game.
Rod Stewart at a Sotheby's picking up winnings day, Kevin Spacey at a theatre production of Ty Cobb an excellent off Broadway play, he sat down right in front of me.
I could have had many other celebs, but I rarely asked them.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 07-07-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:27 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Thanks, Richard-LOVE to hear about the encounters!

Was Spacey nice?
Old 07-07-2014, 05:48 PM
Richard Simon

Spacey was very polite, he was with another actor who I have seen on TV but don't know his name, he was not well known.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 07-07-2014, 05:48 PM

In Broadway theaters:

Tom Hanks sitting directly behind me.
Bob Balaban sitting in front of me.
Bill Clinton sitting a few rows over.

Richie Havens walking down the street.
Rod Stewart at JFK.
Lou Reed on the street
Peter Riegert at the next table in a local restaurant as my (to be) wife and I had what we like to call our "engagement lunch."
Mick Jagger at a riding stable at Montauk.
More "Law and Order" actors than you can shake a stick at. (They all seem to live on the Upper West Side.)

I could go on.

I'm a New Yorker born and bred. I didn't bother any of them. Except for Mick. We were waiting in line together, and wound up having a nice conversation. Never acknowledged who he was, though. And certainly no autograph.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 07-07-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:50 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Thanks David....Trust me, I know what you mean about giving them their privacy! The only reason I was able to obtain the autos I have is because I was in direct contact with the person, which they initiated.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:23 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I saw Jesse Jackson in the short distance at Laguardia, so I walked up to him and shook his hand. He sorta met me with an uncomfortable, concerned look on his face (my gut told me it was as if he was in constant fear of someone attacking him), but I gave him a smile and said, "Nice to meet you."

And here's a name from the past. I ran across Gerry "The Huntington Heavyweight" Cooney in a mall on Long Island when he was in his prime. I had him sign a shopping bag I was carrying and then a whole bunch of people started swarming around him and he gave his time and just entertained everybody with fake punches and posing for photographs. Perhaps the nicest guy on the planet!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:51 PM
Christopher Williams

Great stories guys!!!

My girlfriend and I had a weekend stay at the Swiss Hotel (it was Christmas).

We sat down, and at the table next to us, was Christopher Lloyd.

He nodded at me when he realized I recognized him and I nodded back in acknowledgement.

He stood up, walked past us, and looked back at me and nodded to say "Thank you for not disturbing me while I was eating breakfast."
Old 07-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Belltown Vintage

I have had several good conversations with members of Soundgarden, because they used to meet in my local pub to plan their recent comeback album. Very down to earth and intelligent guys.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2014, 07:06 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Back in the 80's we ran into Herbie Hancock in a Toledo Radio Shack. He seemed amused at three college kids whispering "I think it's him" but never making conversation. The whole time, I kept asking myself "What is Herbie Hancock doing at a Radio Shack in Toledo??"
Old 07-07-2014, 07:07 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I have had several good conversations with members of Soundgarden, because they used to meet in my local pub to plan their recent comeback album. Very down to earth and intelligent guys.

Am I the only one surprised to hear Scott knows Soundgarden??
Old 07-07-2014, 07:14 PM
Jim Murphy

Tom Waits and his wife at the Philadelphia Museum of Art seeing a Salvatore Dali exhibit

Heard his voice and turned and saw that he was standing next to me and he said, "yes I am"
Old 07-07-2014, 07:17 PM
Belltown Vintage

You just reminded me that I met Buddy Guy in a bar. We were the only ones sitting at the bar so it became obvious that I recognized him. I still have that autograph and have now seen him perform in three different states - easily my favorite performer ever.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:19 PM
Belltown Vintage

Ken, I think they are almost my age, and I live in Seattle...and I am actually very cool.

..and now I am laughing...o l

Old 07-07-2014, 07:44 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Bums Became Chums

I collected autographs at Phillies spring training games in 1957. As a 9 year old kid with an autograph book and a ball point pen, I did pretty well.
The visiting team bus was about 100 feet from the dressing room door. Between the door and the bus was where the autographs were obtained.

The Dodgers were absolutely the worst team visiting team of the spring, all refusing to sign before getting on the bus. I was standing by the bus still hoping to pick up a Phillie or two, when a window on the bus opened and someone (?) from inside said, "Kid give me your book." Reluctantly I passed it up to him (?).

I waited for what seemed like an eternity. I was convinced the bus would leave with my book inside. Finally the window opened again and the book was handed down.

I looked inside and found

Maglie

Furillo

Newcombe

Snider

Craig

Labine

Alston

Branca

Spooner

Jackson

Kennedy

Kipp

and two catchers

Pignatano

and a guy named Campanella, his last spring training before his accident.

It turned out to be a pretty good day after all.

I still have the book and most of the above are posted at

http://www.collectorfocus.com/collec...bmd/autographs

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:49 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Great story Frank, quite the score!

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 07-07-2014, 08:18 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

My father was president of the firm that handled public relations for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Yeah, the Oscars people. I got to go backstage at a rehearsal for one of the shows and got these:

Johnny Carson [host]:

Ray Bolger:

High from Cheech:

Uh yeah, Chong:

Gene Hackman:

Ricardo Montalban:

I also got Sylvester Stallone, Roger Moore, Christie Brinkley [total hottie, BTW], and Gene Kelly at the event. Definitely the best celebrity autograph experience ever. They couldn't know whose kid I was with the all-access pass so no one could risk being a jerk to me.

Got this one at a benefit for ASIFA [International Animated Film Society], Bill Scott the voice of Bullwinkle and other assorted characters:

Somewhere I have June Foray [Rocky the Squirrel, Natasha] from the same event.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-07-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:23 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

these experiences are awesome! thank you all for sharing so far!!
Old 07-08-2014, 11:24 AM
Sean Brennan

Went to a michael palin lecture at the radio/tv museum in bev hills and my favorite living director Paul Thomas Anderson sat right in front of me. He was very nice and signed the back of my monty python photo: "im not michael palin im p.t. anderson".
Old 07-08-2014, 07:15 PM
Rick

I sat behind Jesse Jackson at a White Sox game. A buddy of mine and I sat in seats next to Joan Cusack and her husband and two sons at the Winter Classic hockey game at Wrigley. I've also run into a few Chicago Bears players near where I live;Dan Hampton and Roland Harper among them. Robin Yount in the infield of the Milwaukee Mile racetrack at a race of the old CART indycar series. George Wendt outside Wrigley Field...an actor whose name I can't recall at the old Chicago Stadium during a Hawks playoff game in the early 90's.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:55 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

When I was in high school in the mid 80s I went with a group to London England. One of our outings was as the Hard Rock cafe in London and sitting two tables away was actor Billy Crystal.

Also saw Joe anamath at the airport in Cleavland about 10 years ago. He was in a rush and by the time I realized who it wad he was by me.

My wife and I saw Denzel Washington on the street in NYC on our honeymoon.

I didn't ask for nor receive an autograph from the above listed but I did see HOFer Ralph Kiner in a restraunt in New stork after a Met game many years ago. He was kind enough to sing my program I had in my hand. Still have it too.

The last person is football HOFer Bill Shaw goes to my church in our little town in NE Georgia. He is a super great guy and always willing to talk with anyone about anything. I asked him one time if there is anyone he has had the opportunity to meet that makes it all seem unreal. He said "When we do a HOF banquet they always line us up alphabetically. Standing one one side of me is Gayle Sayers and on the other is Don Shulla. That's when I think to myself 'What am I doing here'?".
One thing that I don't get tired of is when the offering is taken and Mr. Shaw passes the plate in front of you you can't miss his huge HOF ring he wears.
Pretty cool.

Drew
Old 07-10-2014, 12:22 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Thanks guys! I've truly enjoyed reading all of these experiences!

Oh...I was in an airport in PA one time and WWE superstar 'EDGE' walked right by me....guy is huge!
Old 07-10-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Ken, I think they are almost my age, and I live in Seattle...and I am actually very cool.

..and now I am laughing...o l

Old 07-10-2014, 03:22 PM

I've run into these athletes and celebrities through the years:

MLB perfect game pitcher David "Boomer" Wells on a flight from San Diego to Detroit. He boarded the plane with his trophy wife, kids and a huge sack full of In and Out Burgers (Double Doubles for those of you that know In and Out).
He must have been in training because he only ate two Double Doubles while I watched.

Anyway, he was a nice guy in person. We spoke for a bit about him returning to his hometown to pitch for the Padres. He thought that was pretty cool. He and his family were flying to meet buddy Kirk Gibson and family during the All Star break in MI. Apparently they own some property together. Wells signed a Padres ticket that I had with me from attending the previous nights game.

Jane Seymour (actress) without makeup. Pretty, but easy to miss

Marty Feldman (comedian extraordinaire). There was no missing this guy and his wild eyes!

Elizabeth Shue (actress) Beautiful gal, very petite in size.

Reggie Jackson- Boarding an American flight in Dallas airport in the early 1990's. I asked for his autograph and got it.

Neil Young and his son- I spotted him 5 minutes before boarding my plane with Reggie Jax!

Gordie Howe- In the airport in MN and at my daughter's dance recital last year. My daughter Sadie danced with Gordie's grandson.

Joe Peschi (actor)- Leaving "Goodfellas" Italian restaurant near Saddlebrook, NJ. I think he may be part owner.

Don Mattingly in O'Hare airport over the Christmas holidays with two kids in tow. This was during his playing career with the Yankees.

James Lovell (Astronaut commander of Apollo 13)- At his son's restaurant Lovell's in Lake Forest, IL. Great restaurant! Both James and his son James Jr. signed a coaster for me that features the flight patch from the Apollo 13 crew.

Magic Johnson and Dr. J- Both at airport luggage claim areas. Chatted with both. Magic signed a photo of my son without me even asking. Both guys were awesome.

George W. Bush (US President) and Rush Limbaugh within 5 minutes of each other at the elevator before the last game at Arlington Stadium in 1993. George W. was at the time the then owner of the TX Rangers. He signed twice for me.

Richard Nixon (US President)- Signed an autograph for me at El Adobe Mexican restaurant in San Juan Capistrano where I was having dinner with my family.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 07-10-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:40 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

If we're talking 'run-ins' there are aplenty as I live in L.A. and used to live in NYC. Some of the more memorable ones:

I am usually appalling at recognizing celebrities. Funniest one for me was a few years ago on Halloween. We were at some friends' house where the neighborhood has a giant block party and their family decided to have a party for the nursery school class where their kid was going. My brother in law and I were manning the door to hand out treats th the block party-goers and let in the kids from the school. A woman and her little girl came up, she and I talked for a bit, then she asked if this was the school party and I let her in. A while later my sister in law came over and asked what I was talking about with Annette Benning. I had no idea.

When my daughter was a baby we went to a holiday service and sat at the back with stroller and the rest of the baby crap so we could get out quickly if she started to cry. A while into the service Dustin Hoffman slips in and sits down next to us. He then proceeds to spill a bottle of water everywhere, which he ended up mopping up with my daughter's diapers.

A few years ago we were in NYC taking the shuttle from Grand Central to Time Square when a heavyset man walked in and sat down. It was Jeff Garlin, who I run into all the time around Studio City here in L.A. I asked him what he was doing in NYC. It was for the filming of the season finale of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Yoga is a great source of celebrity sightings here in L.A. The Bikram studio where I used to go was right in the heart of things in Studio City and got a pretty good mix of celebs. I've taken classes with Raquel Welch, Felicity Huffman, Mary Lynn Raskjub, Chuck Liddell and Joe Pantoliano, and my wife has taken classes with Rick Fox, Ashton Kutcher, Demi Moore, and Anne Hathaway. Lady Gaga has also taken classes there.

Or not...
Old 07-11-2014, 08:41 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
If we're talking 'run-ins' there are aplenty as I live in L.A. and used to live in NYC. Some of the more memorable ones:

I am usually appalling at recognizing celebrities. Funniest one for me was a few years ago on Halloween. We were at some friends' house where the neighborhood has a giant block party and their family decided to have a party for the nursery school class where their kid was going. My brother in law and I were manning the door to hand out treats th the block party-goers and let in the kids from the school. A woman and her little girl came up, she and I talked for a bit, then she asked if this was the school party and I let her in. A while later my sister in law came over and asked what I was talking about with Annette Benning. I had no idea.

When my daughter was a baby we went to a holiday service and sat at the back with stroller and the rest of the baby crap so we could get out quickly if she started to cry. A while into the service Dustin Hoffman slips in and sits down next to us. He then proceeds to spill a bottle of water everywhere, which he ended up mopping up with my daughter's diapers.

A few years ago we were in NYC taking the shuttle from Grand Central to Time Square when a heavyset man walked in and sat down. It was Jeff Garlin, who I run into all the time around Studio City here in L.A. I asked him what he was doing in NYC. It was for the filming of the season finale of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Yoga is a great source of celebrity sightings here in L.A. The Bikram studio where I used to go was right in the heart of things in Studio City and got a pretty good mix of celebs. I've taken classes with Raquel Welch, Felicity Huffman, Mary Lynn Raskjub, Chuck Liddell and Joe Pantoliano, and my wife has taken classes with Rick Fox, Ashton Kutcher, Demi Moore, and Anne Hathaway. Lady Gaga has also taken classes there.
OK, we're all wondering, so I'll ask: how did Raquel Welch look???
Old 07-11-2014, 09:12 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

When I went to Ohio State we used to go to Newport Kentucky for a weekend. It really was more for the hookers than anything else. Ten dollars would get you a girl that would be a thousand today. Trust me when I tell you every thing was rea and a full set of teeth.
I love to shoot craps and I went to a casino that was owned by Sleep Out Louie Levineson. Who latter owned the Freemont in Vegas. I was at the tables and held the dice for almost forty five minutes. My profit was four hundred dollars. ( average bet 2 dollars)
There was a man standing next to me who made over twenty five thousand. This is in 1959. After the roll he came over and handed me five hundred dollars. I was stuned . I introduced my self and he said call me Happy.
Just as a side note. Newport was shut down by an ex football player by the name of George Ratterman.
Just for your knowledge the gentelmen that who introduced himself was the Govener of Kentucky A.B."Happy" Chandler.

Last edited by shelly; 07-12-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
I love to shoot crabs and I went to a casino that was owned by Sleep Out Louie Levineson.
I'm sure the hookers gave you a nice dose of crabs to shoot.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
I'm sure the hookers gave you a nice dose of crabs to shoot.
Good one, David.
I actually thought exactly the same thing when I first read Shelly's post, FWIW.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:53 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Now with a nine hundred in my hand I was able to buy blue ointment

Last edited by shelly; 07-12-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:40 AM
Richard Simon

If you live in NYC you will see lots of celebs.
Here are a few I have seen in addition to my earlier post.

Robert Redford - theatre at Doubt
Peter Strauss - walking down Bway at 79th St
Art Garfunkel and son - walking up 79th St to Central Pk at 5th Ave
Walt Frazier - leaving Eli's at 80th and 3rd
Morley Safer - walking up Lex Ave at 78th St
Leonard Nimoy - theatre at Woman Under A Glass
Tracy Pollan - walking out of Eli's
Anthony Edwards - in Central Pk
Dennis Farina - Loews theatre 72nd St
Michael Strahan - sitting at Eli's cafe
Alec Baldwin - 98th St CPW after leaving Dr. W's office
Carl Bernstein - 79th St betw Lex and 3rd
Ted McGinley - at MSG hockey gm
James Lipton - at MSG hockey gm
Peter Strauss - at Trip to Bountiful
Catherine Zeta Jones - Central Park at Hernshead
Curtis Sliwa - 84th and 2nd
Eileen Atkins - Central Park at bird feeders
Howard Stern - jogging in Central Park
Marvin Hamlisch - near turtle pond in Central Park
Ted Turner - 46th St and 7th Ave
Michael Cervais - theatre at Waters Edge
Carol Kane - theatre at Waters Edge
Tom Berenger - theatre at Chorus Line
Abe Vigoda - 72nd and 3rd
Gov. Spitzer - 79th St entrance to Central Pk.
Stephanie March - stage door at Talk Radio
Kathleen Turner -deli across street from theatre where she was directing Crimes
Sara Ramirez - going into theatre for The Homecoming
Eliot Spitzer and wife - outside Central Pk
Timothy Busfield - 79th St and 3rd Av
Kirk Douglas - theatre at Osage
David Brooks - corner of 42/8
Angela Bassett - theatre for Thurgood
Courtney Vance - theatre for Thurgood
Audra McDonald - theatre for Hair
Tamara Tumie - theatre for Norman Conquest
John Malkovich - 79th St
Stephanie March - 14th St and 6th Av
Ted Koppel - 78th St and Lex
Richard Ravitch - Papaya King
Dominic Furmusa - A Normal Heart
Zeljko Ivanek - A Normal Heart
Andrea Martin - A Normal Heart
Bill Madden - Lombardi
David Duchovny - crossing 3rd Ave at 79 ST.
Lombardi cast - theatre for Bengal Tiger
Dylan Baker - theatre for Good People
Sam Rockwell - theatre for Sweet and Sad
Michael McKeon - theatre for Sweet and Sad
David Duchovny - theater at Sports Abridged
William Goldman - Barnes & Noble at Leonard Elmore's interview with Mike Lupica
Tom Brokaw - 79th St and 3rd Ave
Eli Wallach - Bway bus, getting off with us at Lincoln Ctr. big smile from him when I told him how I really liked his work.
Cynthia Nixon - 47th St heading into Stage Door entrance at Wit
Jackie Mason - 60th & Bway after doctor appt.
Dana Ivey - 79th St crosstown bus
Sara Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick - theater for My Children MyAfrica
Sam Shepard - lobby of Signature Theater
David Duchovny - 3rd Ave betw 81-82 St
Glenn Close and George Lucas - outside Beacon Theatre as we were exiting from a John Fogerty concert.

In addition, in a different life , I used to own a retail sweets shop on Madison Ave and 91 St. I was visited there by Diane Keaton, Paul Simon, Paul Sorvino, Robert Redford, Diana Ross, Carol Kane, Madeline Kahn, Gwyneth Paltrow (she was a very young child) with her mother Blythe Danner and Jade Jagger who went to Spence School which was around the corner from my shop.
Woody Allen and Mia Farrow used to walk past often but never came in. Vladimir Horowitz also walked past often but did not come in.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 07-13-2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:54 AM
Belltown Vintage

Almost forgot my most interesting brush with a celebrity. In 1978 I was working at a Pizza Inn in a suburb of Denver. One weeknight, very near closing, two men walked in and I was the only guy working. They discussed the order over by the door, one of them sat down and looked toward the door, and the other guy ordered the pizza. The next morning I told my Dad that I had made a pizza for a guy who was a dead ringer for Jack Nicklaus (the guy basically hiding by the door). My Dad said, "well it was probably him - he's playing golf down the street at Cherry Hills."
Old 07-14-2014, 03:33 PM

Default in person

As a in person autograph collector most of my encounters are of the planned variety. In the early 90s I had planned a trip to Arizona to try for autographs of some of the local teams. The best autograph of the trip turned out to be a chance encounter while we were returning our rental car. I got out of the car and there standing a foot away is Willie Mays! I reached in my bag pulled out a baseball and Mr. Mays was gracious enough to sign the ball for me.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:16 PM

Fun thread...I too have lived/worked in NYC for 15+ years.

Many run-ins...Clapton, Springsteen, Steve Jobs (the day the iPhone was launched), Joe Pesci, Keanu Reeves, Joey Buttafucco (yes, that guy), Ivanka Trump (I see her all the time, about 6'3" in heels), Donna Karan, Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, Eli Manning, Artie Lange, Joe Pantoliano, Ken Griffey Jr...and on and on. I almost never ask for autos, sometimes a handshake, and the "big fan" comment. I think they appreciate the subtle hello.

Sidenote- where I did ask for a ton of autos, was at Nazareth Speedway in PA circa 1988-1994. my dad & I used to get pit passes for the IndyCar races, and got sigs of pretty much every top driver...Andretti, Foyt, Mears, Fittipaldi, Rahal, Unser, etc, etc...fun times.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:20 AM
And.rew Whi.te

Living in Wisconsin one doesnt often run into celebs in the course of normal daily life........unless of course one of them lives among you!

I was on a curvy, country road that rolls along a secluded lake when, as I rounded a sharp curve, I almost ran over a man who was crossing the road to throw out his trash. Lets remember, this is a country road that is barely two car lenghths wide and crossing the road to throw out one's trash is not all that unheard of. I quickly hit my brakes and allowed the older man with white hair and full beard to cross. As the locals are known to do he waved to me as if to say thank you for not making me a part of your front bumper and went abouy his business. It was then that I realized I almost ran over John Mahoney, or as we call him, Frazier's dad from the show Frazier. I rolled down the window and said "sorry for almost running you over John!"

He looked at me, threw his head back with a laugh like he did on Frazier and said "Thats ok" and got into his car.

Being a resort area we have had many pro sports stars walking around town and even a few musicians. We all pretty much leave them alone while gawking from afar! LOL. The cool thing is John Mahoney is always out in the community and it is not unusual to see him at Panera bread and other local restaurants. He certainly seems like a regular guy and the locals usually treat him as such.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:08 AM

Andrew- I loved him in Eight Men Out...

[Eddie Cicotte is warming up before Game 7]
Kid Gleason: Put it away, Eddie. I'm going with Wilkinson today.
Eddie Cicotte: Why?
Kid Gleason: You haven't had your stuff lately, have you?
Eddie Cicotte: But I feel right today, Kid.
Kid Gleason: I can't take any chances, I'm sorry.
Eddie Cicotte: Like I can't lose, that's how right I feel.
Kid Gleason: Sure you do, Eddie.
[He starts to walk away]
Eddie Cicotte: Kid! I can't miss.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 07-15-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:51 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
OK, we're all wondering, so I'll ask: how did Raquel Welch look???
About 20 years younger than her actual age. She works her tail off; nothing but respect for her here.

There was a period during the holidays a few years ago when we kept encountering Michael Chiklis and his family; they live near us and must've had the same ideas about where to go with the kids. Restaurants, the aquarium, theater; everywhere I looked, "Vic Mackey" was staring back. My wife finally asked him whether he was following us.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-15-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:19 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Celebs are few and far between in WV and Southwest VA....

Wahoo McDaniel on the street in Huntington WV.
Ric Flair at an airport in Charlotte.

On the other hand, my profession has allowed me to meet a number of people like Chuck Yeager, Marcus Luttrell (Lone Survivor), Brooks Robinson, Ali Velshi, Jose Canseco, etc. Working on a deal to do a little project with Mr. T. Fingers crossed.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:45 PM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Fun thread...I too have lived/worked in NYC for 15+ years.

Many run-ins...Clapton, Springsteen, Steve Jobs (the day the iPhone was launched), Joe Pesci, Keanu Reeves, Joey Buttafucco (yes, that guy), Ivanka Trump (I see her all the time, about 6'3" in heels), Donna Karan, Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, Eli Manning, Artie Lange, Joe Pantoliano, Ken Griffey Jr...and on and on. I almost never ask for autos, sometimes a handshake, and the "big fan" comment. I think they appreciate the subtle hello.

Sidenote- where I did ask for a ton of autos, was at Nazareth Speedway in PA circa 1988-1994. my dad & I used to get pit passes for the IndyCar races, and got sigs of pretty much every top driver...Andretti, Foyt, Mears, Fittipaldi, Rahal, Unser, etc, etc...fun times.
At The Milwaukee Mile - Robin Yount on a couple 3000 hit related items and Walter Payton on a magazine cover at Road America. Both were great guys to talk too. I also met and received autographs from racing greats Roger Ward and Parnelli Jones, a couple names that go way back. I was also around Sylvestor Stallone while he filmed a cheesy racing movie ( no autographs).

Last edited by RTK; 07-15-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:00 PM
Matt

Default Indy Car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Sounds very familiar, but my hunting grounds were Michigan International Speedway and the Detroit Grand Prix in the early to late 90's. I had a photographers pass at the Detroit GP for 4 years with all the access included. That's where Walter Payton signed a poster for me on a pretty relaxed Friday morning one year. I remember thinking he looked pretty thin and he was kind of quiet. Most Indy drivers at team owners are pretty approachable, even these days. The only guy that would never sign and would sneak out the back way in all my years of seeing him at races was Paul Newman.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:08 AM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzoo View Post
Sounds very familiar, but my hunting grounds were Michigan International Speedway and the Detroit Grand Prix in the early to late 90's. I had a photographers pass at the Detroit GP for 4 years with all the access included. That's where Walter Payton signed a poster for me on a pretty relaxed Friday morning one year. I remember thinking he looked pretty thin and he was kind of quiet. Most Indy drivers at team owners are pretty approachable, even these days. The only guy that would never sign and would sneak out the back way in all my years of seeing him at races was Paul Newman.

The Newman/Haas Racing team's office is literally about 100 feet from the door of my work and, as I sit and type this I can see their building. The cool thing is anyone can stop in there and see the HUGE amount of trophies, race suits, two actual race cars and an original Leroy Neiman hanging in their very impressive lobby and I have done this many times. I knew a gentleman that was a accountant for the race team and he stated that Paul Newman came to the Christmas party one year and they were all under strict rules regarding the interractions they could have with him. Basically, the rules were to leave him alone and this went for ALL members of the team except for Carl Haas and his entourage.

The fact that Newman would slip out the back way at the tracks comes as zero surprise to me.

Wow..looking at the Wiki page for Carl Haas I guess I should get this man's autograph as he is even more impressive than I thought he was!

Last edited by whitehse; 07-16-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:48 PM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
The Newman/Haas Racing team's office is literally about 100 feet from the door of my work and, as I sit and type this I can see their building. The cool thing is anyone can stop in there and see the HUGE amount of trophies, race suits, two actual race cars and an original Leroy Neiman hanging in their very impressive lobby and I have done this many times. I knew a gentleman that was a accountant for the race team and he stated that Paul Newman came to the Christmas party one year and they were all under strict rules regarding the interractions they could have with him. Basically, the rules were to leave him alone and this went for ALL members of the team except for Carl Haas and his entourage.

The fact that Newman would slip out the back way at the tracks comes as zero surprise to me.

Wow..looking at the Wiki page for Carl Haas I guess I should get this man's autograph as he is even more impressive than I thought he was!
It was pretty well known that PLN didn't sign autographs. It was common to see him around his race team. One morning, with no one around we crossed paths and I said "good morning" to him. He was actually a just a regular guy that enjoyed his racing. I heard a wonderful story about him at the Long Beach race dodging the Hollywood types and paparazzi and having beers with the crew guys out of sight from passersby after all the work was done. He also stopped by the campsite (at Road America) of a collection of internet racing guys I know to say Hi and thank us for supporting the series. He was the heart and soul of the CART/Champcar series. I'm sad it's gone.