NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-23-2006, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Default Need some help with T222

Posted By: DSGreen

I recently purchased this card from an ebay auction for my Braves collection.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1914-FATIMA-PLAYERS-LEFTY-TYLER-BOSTON-NATIONALS_W0QQitemZ250015653827QQihZ015QQcategoryZ 86839QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Now I know nothing about this issue other than what has been discussed on this board, what is in Lipset's Encyclopedia, the info that is on Cycleback website concerning this issue, and what is on Old Cardboard. The card, even with the problematic pictures, seemed legit to me, especially considering I could not find any information concerning this issue ever being reprinted. So, I felt it would be a good chance to add a T222 to my small collection.

After receiving the card, it measures out pretty close to what it should and the edges in the photo that look uneven, I suspect are due to some warping on those specific areas on the edge. Obviously from the back it looks to have been placed in an album of some type. The card itself is very thin, so much so that I can see the card back pretty clearly when held to light. The card also has a glossy finish which is very evident, especially where the torn corner is because the is a small area where the gloss is gone but part of the card remains. Also, there is no print dots on the card under 20X magnification.

All of this had me feeling good about the card until I again checked the checklist of the set and noticed that the number under Tyler's name should be a 4. Under magnification, the number under the card I have looks very much like a 9. I noticed a white nine on other cards in this set that I could locate images for. Another thing that troubles me about the card is that the back printing looks to be a stamp because under magnification, there is some bleed on the lettering, especially around the lettering for "Turkish Blend" and "Cigarettes."

Given this, do you think this card could be a fake? Sorry that I don't have any scans up yet. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Forever A Brave Collection

Old 08-23-2006, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

The Fatima T200s and T222s are photographs, as opposed to ink and printing press
prints. If, under strong magnifying glass, there is a ink dot pattern in the
player's image, it is a reprint. Photographs have no dot pattern, as they
aren't printed with a printing press but exposed under light shined through a
negative.

I suspect that 100 percent or close to 100 percent of Fatima reprints have a
dot pattern in the image.

Old 08-23-2006, 04:44 PM
Administrator

David, thank you for your response. I had read that info on your site prior to bidding. Under 20X magnification, there are no dots in this image whatsoever, which is one of the reasons that I felt good about it after receiving it. Do you think 20X is enough. It is enough for me to recognize the dot pattern in other cards, such as a T206 reprint.

Old 08-23-2006, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Check out the following link for T222

http://www.t207.com/t222.shtml

Old 08-23-2006, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

From the photo you can't tell anything. For what it's worth I've seen T200 reprints but I can't recall seeing any T222 reprints. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Alexanders popping up as reprints someday.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

20x power is more than strong enough to see any dots. I would think half that power
would be enough to see any dots. The T222s are on photo paper, and are not on cardboard
like a T206 or Topps.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bcornell

That card is fine, in my opinion. All of the characteristics you cited are what you should expect to find. A counterfeit almost certainly wouldn't have the glossy surface, for one thing. The seller needs to stop taking photos of his items at dusk from a moving vehicle, but the card is okay.

Bill

Old 08-23-2006, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

if anyone knows 222's it's Bill

Listen and you shall learn

Old 08-23-2006, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

hold the card at an oblique angle to a light source, being careful in handling it as they are very fragile, you should be able to see an faint "embossing" of the back print on the front due to the very thin paper stock.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Thank you for all of the help everyone. It is really appreciated.

Any ideas on the number under the name being a 9 rather than the 4 that is listed in the checklist? It seems clearly to be a 9 under magnification but I also can see how it could be mistaken for a 4 with the naked eye.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bcornell

I think it's a "9", not a "4", as well. For what it's worth, Lipset's book has one other mistake - Alexander is actually a "2", not a "9". There's no rhyme or reason to the numbering of these cards and they don't signify anything, as far as I know.

One other t222 tidbit - while all numbers 12 and higher are difficult, "15" is harder than the rest. Lobert, JC Smith, Johnson, Henry, L.Magee and Lelivelt are in this group and show up on almost all want lists.

Bill