NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-21-2017, 11:34 PM
Bill Avery

Default Why would anybody do this?

Even if the original card was a reprint why would you cut it up just to make another card out of it? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-SP-Lege...EAAOSwA3dYfN7q

When I see these cards I wish the card company, be it Upper Deck or Leaf, would just give out a redemption card and send out the original picture, postcard, or card instead of cutting them up.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:14 AM
Nick Pascal

This kills me. While we're on the subject, I hate seeing jersey/bat cards of prewar players, guys that we just don't have to many full pieces of left. I mean, I get it from the card company's point of view, but I die a little inside every time I see a Cobb bat card or Ruth jersey card.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:18 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Why?

$

Any Questions?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 01-22-2017, 05:25 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

It's probably because they don't have the copyright to release cards from other manufacturers. So if they wanted to use that autograph, they have to cut it off or hide the original manufacturer's logos.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:37 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Sad

That looks like a real card. It is sad that they cut an original card with a real auto in order to make that pathetic looking insert card.

The seller is asking two hundred bucks. I don't follow autographs. Would an original signed Diamond Stars card sell for $200?

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnp22 View Post
This kills me. While we're on the subject, I hate seeing jersey/bat cards of prewar players, guys that we just don't have to many full pieces of left. I mean, I get it from the card company's point of view, but I die a little inside every time I see a Cobb bat card or Ruth jersey card.
I'm not saying this in connection with any particular card issuer, but generally I question the authenticity of a lot of the items cut up and put in those cards. A lot goes into determining the authenticity of items purported to be game worn or game used. There are any factors to consider for a given player, team, and era. Even if you don't follow the game worn niche of the hobby, you can see how difficult it is do to this just from skimming through some of the relatively few threads concerning authenticity in the Game Used forum here.

If you're a card company, you pretty much destroy the ability of others to evaluate authenticity when you cut the thing up or saw it into pieces, so you can call it whatever you want. And your bottom line is the guiding factor, so why put time, effort, and expense into detailed analyses of each item when the evidence is basically going to be destroyed anyway? People can collect what they want and, for some people, such items convey a sense of connection with the player notwithstanding the issues I mention. For others, it's just about the chase card aspect of these special issues. As for me, I'm not a fan of these cards, whether or not some of the items are legitimate.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Cutting the card up was stupid.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:04 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Cutting the card up was stupid.
Agreed. I can understand using a cut signature from an index card or canceled check, something along those lines. But an original signed card should be more valuable and collectible than a modern insert card.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:18 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Agreed. I can understand using a cut signature from an index card or canceled check, something along those lines. But an original signed card should be more valuable and collectible than a modern insert card.
I don't buy this type of stuff but like to watch the prices of new stuff. Usually the first couple of owners(flippers) sell it for more than you could have the original card. Then once the issue is over a year old and the new product comes out the price drops like a rock and the original card would be worth more.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
They should have encased the whole card. It would have been way better and I would even like it ....
Old 01-29-2017, 10:56 AM
Fred

These companies should consider having PSA or SGC encapsulating the object and then have the flip indicate all the other details such as Topps, UD, etc. If they're too cheap to do that then they should consider encapsulating the pieces on their own. It'd be better than destroying bits of history.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:03 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
They should have encased the whole card. It would have been way better and I would even like it ....
Wouldn't have fit into a standard pack then: it was made in 2004 or something, right? I agree they should have done a redemption for the full card.
Nowadays they probably would since they sell one pack inside a larger box and could get away with it since it would fit in a modern 1-pack box.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.