NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-23-2007, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Default OT: Show us your vintage football items

Posted By: John S

..had a couple of items that I wanted to share and am always interested in seeing other board members' "dark side" items.

1918 Press Photo of the Georgia Tech backfield with Joe Guyon in the center. The reverse is loaded with great period info. David or anyone else, what does NEA (I have seen NAE stamps) represent?

1800's football trade card, postcard sized. I have seen relatively few of these compared to their baseball counterparts. Question #2; has anyone seen this particular ad on the reverse of other cards before? I would just like to know (out of curiousity) in what city the WM. M. Smith company was located. I have been trying to figure out what M. & E. represent. I am assuming R.R is railroad.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Not sure what NEA stands for, but it was a news agency - I have a few photos with the same NEA stamp on them and they are fairly common.

Here's a postcard that I just picked up....I put it in the april pickup thread, but not sure too many people saw it. It's a 1920 Chillicothe Business College postcard with Cal Hubbard pictured in the middle row second from right. Hubbard was an NFL hall of famer and a MLB hall of fame umpire..he is the only man enshrined in both halls. He is also a college football hall of famer. The man in the back row third from left is I believe John Levi who went on to Haskell Institute in Kansas which was an Indian school. He threatened or broke many of Jim Thorpe's records while there.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I no longer have the items, but I used to own a signed first edition of Walter Camp's book Football from 1892 and a photo of the 1935 Bears sign by Nagurski and Grange.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Here's a few I have. The Gray's is probably from England.

-Clint

Old 04-23-2007, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Interesting Clint....why do you think the advertising card is from England? I would think that in England that any reference to "football" would mean soccer, but the character is obvously playing football.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Dan, I have two different ones and they both have Leed's at the bottom. It may be rugby or US football. I just guessed possibly England. I've never researched it though.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith

I picked up 2 other Doane college football photos from the same estate as some previously shown photos. The team photo is labeled 1893 team.

I also recently picked up Colgate University football team photo from around 1895 (one of the players has a sweater with the year 1899 on it, and am assuming he is a freshman player on the team) The photo obviously has some damage.

The last item is a trophy melon football from Saint Marks Academy in Massachussetts that has a 1907 game score on the back, and a large 07 painted on the front. I recently had the ball restored and it may be my favorite vintage football item.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed

The Colgate picture reminds me so much of the scene in Dead Poets Society where Robin Williams shows the class pictures of long passed alum. "Carpe Diem"..... "Today, these men are feeding daffodils".....

Old 04-25-2007, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean BH

but football everywhere else...

Sean BH

Old 04-25-2007, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew

pre-1948 cards are pretty tough:

"Take your life in your own hands and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame." -- Erica Jong

Old 04-25-2007, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed

My Dad, rest his soul, went to Yale, was the senior editor of Yale newspaper and very active in alum affairs. Though I'm not a legacy, I take great interest in Yale history. Where did you find that gem? I wonder if PSA would slab it.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Sorry for the late post, as I didn't click on the thead until now.

I can't remember what NAE stands for, but its an old news service stamp that is from same company as ACME Newspictures. The NAE stamp is old, so it shows a photo is vintage.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

NEA stands for newspaper enterprise association. It was founded in 1902. Founded by Edward Scripps who went on to found United Press Association. NEA was one of the nations first news syndicates. If you need any more info let me know. I collect vintage photos.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Henry Beecher was the protege of Yale' famous FB coach, Walter Camp. Camp is considered the
"Father of Modern FB", as he set down the ground rules of the modern game. Before him, college
FB was played like Rugby with at 25 (or so) players on each team.

I wish Goodwin had portrayed Walter Camp in this N162 set.

TED Z

Old 04-25-2007, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan

Old 04-25-2007, 11:07 PM
Administrator

I love this football (baseball) card:

"Take your life in your own hands and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame." -- Erica Jong

Old 04-26-2007, 06:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

1st sheet in set with....Sammy Baugh....Otto Graham....Y A Tittle....Paul Brown....Charlie Trippi....Hugh McElhenny....Frank Gifford (rookie)

TED Z

Old 04-26-2007, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Tocco

Ted, are you aware of a football card issued before the Beecher? Or am I reading too much into you calling it the 1st color FB card instead of just the 1st FB card.

Great thread, btw. There are already more posts in this thread than there have been on the Net54 football board all year.

Joe

Old 04-26-2007, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Joe,

Beecher is generally regarded as the first "card" issued depicting an actual player.

I started this thread because of the lack of activity on the NET54 vintage football board (but it has improved over the last week). I contacted Leon prior to posting and he agreed that it would be appropriate as many of the members have collections that encompass both football and baseball. Don't give up on the other board!

Old 04-26-2007, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Tocco

I haven't given up, I check it occasionally, but the ads and popups make it nearly unusable.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Why can't the network54 vintage football message board be like (same technical look as) this board or the non-sports board ?????

Old 04-26-2007, 11:32 AM
Administrator

There's a N54 football board??? Link please?

Old 04-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Administrator

http://www.network54.com/Index/50082

Old 04-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy Piccuito

Old 04-26-2007, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

1905 Carlisle Indian football team imperial cabinet. Jim Thorpe was on the 1905 team, but unfortunately is not in the picture.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Keith - I still love it!

Old 04-26-2007, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Large silver print image of the 1920 "Akron Professionals". This team was the first professional football league champions (of the APFA which became the NFL). At lower right is Fritz Pollard, the Jackie Robinson of football, who was finally inducted into the Football Hall of Fame in 2005.

Rob M.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

Speaking of Beecher, I have an 1886 letter that reads in part:

"Our room faces the New Haven Green, which puts me in mind of the Boston Common every time I look at it. There are thirteen Exeter men here, including Wurtenburgh, Sykes & Lyman…Wurtie is doing fine work on the team. He is sub. half & quarter back. He does not want to do much football playing this year and so has not worked to get on the team. Ben is a half back but is too slow altogether. He is punting pretty well. He broke his nose in one of the practice games but it is well now. You ought to see how they play football here. They go in to win. There is three times as much slugging in a practice game as there as there is in the Exeter or Andover game. Hanson played one evening and Pike who was playing opposite him told him to get onside Hanson did not stir and Pike drew off and hit him right in the eye, then Hanson as soon as he recovered himself hit Pike a dandy on the nose and they had a regular fight until the Captain yelled to them to stop. Hanson had a terrible eye and Pike a skinned nose. You ought to see Beecher play. He is something like Harding, one minute he is in the midst of a crowd and the next he has the ball and running for the goal. He has not layed [sic] up at all. He had a sore leg but plays just the same. Wurtie could get halfback if he wanted it but says he wants to study this year and then play football next year. I am afraid Ben will not stay here long. He flunks in great style. Himball played first base on the Freshman base ball team at Princeton in the Freshman-sophomore game…”.

Rob M.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric G.

Below is a picture of a large, B32 type 2 tobacco felt premium from the 1914-1915 time period. This Harvard felt is about 13" x 28 1/2" in size and depicts a football player. It has a Fatima cigarettes stamp on the reverse side.

Eric G.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:40 PM
Administrator

I also wasn't aware of a football card themed forum until reading it on this thread. Since there's was so little "vintage" football material issued, couldn't this subject just be part of a larger Vintage Baseball AND Football Card Forum?