NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-12-2021, 01:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default Campanella card values

With the possible exception of his 52 Topps high number, it appears to me that the values of Roy Campanella cards even his rookie are relatively low. Yet he's a three time MVP, and of course his career numbers don't include his playing days in the Negro Leagues that went all the way back to 1937 at age 15. And he played for the Brooklyn Dodgers who are, to say the least, among the most popular teams ever. So what gives here?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:19 PM
Scott Russell

I think, as crazy as it sounds, Jackie has a large shadow.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 02-12-2021, 01:27 PM

Default Campy?

Hi Peter- I'll preface my comments by stating that Campy is a favorite of
mine. I find it odd that certain all time greats like him don't enjoy higher
values. He's a) a sentimental favorite who b) played on a popular team and
who c) brought the stats, as you've pointed out. He also was the subject of
many classic issues like his rookie, the 52 Topps, and the 53 Bowman Color (my favorite). Another example is Rod Carew. SEVEN batting titles, 3000+ hits,
likable guy, with cool cards as well (not as desirable as Campy's, but his 60s
cards and early 70s are desirable). I suppose that, over a span of decades,
collectors/buyers have determined who they "want" or "expect" to be valuable
over time, and it is difficult to crash that party- in baseball, anyway. Trent King

Last edited by ClementeFanOh; 02-12-2021 at 01:28 PM. Reason: forgotten name with post
Old 02-12-2021, 01:30 PM
Todd Schultz

Default My dad's favorite player

Definitely underappreciated, but since I'm down to only one or two Campy's, he can fly under the radar for awhile longer as far as I'm concerned.

At the risk of posting in the pre-war area and only because every thread deserves a pic, here's one that I love from 1953:

If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Some more pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg campanella49.jpg (64.4 KB, 627 views)
File Type: jpg campanellawf.jpg (75.2 KB, 620 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:24 PM

How about a scoreCARD? Here's one I have from Roy's time with the Baltimore Elite Giants. Scorer notes Campy got into the second game of the double header in the 8th:

Old 02-12-2021, 02:34 PM
Mikeknapp

Cards of catching Greats always seem to be under valued in my opinion.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 02-12-2021, 02:59 PM
Chuck Tapia

Default I love campy!

2- Campy Ticket Stubs were tucked into my Grand Parents Armoire Mirror from the time I could crawl in 62. When they had both passed in 1994, I plucked them off the mirror and cried because I knew that must have been a special night for them. My Grandpa and I bonded over baseball going every Sunday from 1970-1975.

This has also been one of my favorite cards. Never saw him play but was lucky enough to see him many times where he would sit behind home plate with his wife Roxy on the old Club Level. I had season seats 1991-93 and always looked forward to seeing him there.

He never missed a game. He was very approachable and always had a big smile. Roxy would sign autographs for him as the kids stood around him in awe as did us parents. My daughter was young then and she still remembers him, so I hope the love has been passed down from generation to generation...
Old 02-12-2021, 03:27 PM

I love the Wilson Franks issue....what a classic card

Bruce Perry
Old 02-12-2021, 03:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by theuclakid View Post
I love the Wilson Franks issue....what a classic card

Bruce Perry
Yeah I missed out on one way back in the day and then finally found one here a few years ago.

Old 02-12-2021, 03:30 PM
John Donovan

I think you can add Campanella to the long list of under valued vintage stars. But I think that has more to do with the fact that it takes more than just being a great player to become a hobby icon. Ruth, Cobb, Mantle, Jackie, etc. all had other qualities that made them larger than the game in some respects.

I found a new appreciation for Campanella (and many other Dodgers) after reading the "Boys of Summer" by Roger Kahn.

Here's my only Campanella card. I think it's extra fun because Bowman credited him with 198 RBIs in 1951. Which is 90 more than he actually had

camp2.JPG
Old 02-12-2021, 03:39 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Interesting thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Cards of catching Greats always seem to be under valued in my opinion.
Berra immediately came to mind - 3 X MVP and 10 Word series championships and a character of a personality to match!

What's that about?
Old 02-12-2021, 03:44 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Shoot me out of the water completely if you want, but maybe Campy and Yogi weren't particularly good looking guys? I realize collecting is not a beauty pageant, but looks mean a lot in everything, right?

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-12-2021 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:50 PM
Bry@n

No idea why it was printed (I have a Duke Snider too), but here is an 11x14 Type 1 photo of Campy. Come on now Steve, he isn't going to be People's sexiest man alive, but he's no Dimaggio either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Campanella Type 1 a.jpg (73.9 KB, 545 views)
Old 02-12-2021, 03:56 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Ha.

I will change my theory to the catcher effect. People respect catchers but they don't adore them. We idolize Willie or Clemente tracking down a fly ball like a gazelle or throwing the ball in from deep center. Physical skills we can only dream of having. The catcher is a solid workman like guy. Important in his decision making or course, but probably not the guy on the field you want to be in your dreams.

Think of how great Johnny Bench was. Realize he's post and not pre-war, but when was the last time you heard someone Jonsing for a Johnny Bench card?
Old 02-12-2021, 04:03 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I believe negro league stats are now being counted. Of course we know that stats were not documented very well but still.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:32 PM
J0hn H@rper

Catchers don't put up shiny offensive numbers. They don't have the chance to do anything shiny defensively (unless you're Pudge throwing from your knees). And baseball doesn't celebrate how individuals win multiple titles much, unless you're Reggie in the '70s.

So there's never anything "interesting" enough to put their cards near the top of the list. Except Piazza's '92 Bowman for awhile when he broke out. Shiny rate of homers. Or what happened to Munson.

Given where Bench's cards are, seems like Yogi's only sell where they do because of his one liners and being a Yankee.

Yogi, Bench, Pudge, and Campanella will probably never get their due, in the hobby or otherwise. Four insanely talented catchers in all aspects
Old 02-12-2021, 05:34 PM
octavio ranzola

Last three months ive gotten 10 different ,im very happy
Old 02-12-2021, 06:01 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Incredibly undervalued. Career cut short by racism on the front end and the accident on the rear yet still got 3 MVP awards in the golden era, even though he only played for a decade. His percentage of throwing out runners was incredible as well.
I love him because he was so jovial and handled the racism with humor and dignity. I also love him because of his attitude after his accident. He kept that smile and did what he could to help others. He was also a man of faith which I appreciate. If you haven't read "It's Good to be Alive" by Roy Campanella do yourself a favor and check it out.

BTW I have a 53 topps for sale in my 53 topps FS post in the BST
Old 02-13-2021, 12:20 AM
Jay Cee

Campy needs more respect without a doubt. Rookie year playing for Monterrey. He is first player on left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5423.jpg (79.6 KB, 430 views)

Last edited by BeanTown; 02-13-2021 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-13-2021, 04:00 AM

My favorite Campy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phil0567-1953-dormand-roy-campanella.jpg (64.1 KB, 422 views)
Old 02-13-2021, 07:39 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Reading threads like this is dangerous: I ended up pulling the trigger on a 1952 Topps after reading it!

Bought the card, not the holder...

I've had this one for years:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-13-2021 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:12 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Reading threads like this is dangerous: I ended up pulling the trigger on a 1952 Topps after reading it!

Congrats, Adam. I had that one saved in my watch list and was wondering when it was going to sell?
If it weren't for the duty and the exchange rate, I would have had to pay on it, I would have purchased it sometime ago.

Last edited by irv; 02-14-2021 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-14-2021, 12:19 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by campyfan39 View Post
Incredibly undervalued. Career cut short by racism on the front end and the accident on the rear yet still got 3 MVP awards in the golden era, even though he only played for a decade. His percentage of throwing out runners was incredible as well.
I love him because he was so jovial and handled the racism with humor and dignity. I also love him because of his attitude after his accident. He kept that smile and did what he could to help others. He was also a man of faith which I appreciate. If you haven't read "It's Good to be Alive" by Roy Campanella do yourself a favor and check it out.

BTW I have a 53 topps for sale in my 53 topps FS post in the BST
Beautiful Displays Chris!!!!
Old 02-14-2021, 12:20 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

I hate when that happens, NICE JOB!
Old 02-15-2021, 02:34 AM
Andy Wa.lko

I agree his cards seem like bargains right now. Here are a couple I picked up recently.

I've also been doing a lot of reading and just finished his bio "Campy", written by Neil Lanctot (incidentally I'm currently reading his history of the negro leagues). Highly recommended.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:15 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Growing up in the NYC area in the 50's, you had to identify with the Giants, Dodgers or Yanks. I was a Brooklyn boy. While there were intense, spirited and often heated arguments about CF and Willie, Duke and the Mick, there was
as well one concerning the best NY catcher, Yogi or Campy (Wes Westrum of the Giants didn't make the cut.). While I will always be a Campy man, I would reluctantly give the nod to Yogi based on the stats and his incredible WS record. Of course, Roy's accident makes any comparison difficult.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:01 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red Machine View Post
My favorite Campy.
Great image! I'm not familar with these postcards... just cruised by some of them on Ebay. All reasonably priced for some great images.

Any idea why so cheap? Just not in high demand?

thanks for the tip... I might snag one for my collection too!

Jeff
Old 02-16-2021, 04:04 PM
Ted Zanidakis

I not familiar with todays Campy's rookie card cost. I acquired these two 1949 BOWMAN cards of him in 1991 for $100 and $200 (Slate version).

The Slate background version is quite tough to find, and usually sells for $400 - 500 (in Ex condition).

. .

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 02-21-2021 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Corrected typo.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:05 PM
Derek Granger

Well, I feel I should contribute since it was between this card and my Jennings for my avatar:

And here’s a photo that is as close as you can probably get to pre-war for Campy (1942)...although he did play a few years prior to that:

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 02-16-2021, 07:05 PM
Chris Counts

I love those Hi-O Oatmeal records ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Definitely underappreciated, but since I'm down to only one or two Campy's, he can fly under the radar for awhile longer as far as I'm concerned.

At the risk of posting in the pre-war area and only because every thread deserves a pic, here's one that I love from 1953:

Old 02-16-2021, 07:07 PM
Chris Counts

I agree the prices are low. I felt that way about the 1952 Topps Jackie Robinson just a year ago. I think anything associated with the Negro Leagues is only going up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
With the possible exception of his 52 Topps high number, it appears to me that the values of Roy Campanella cards even his rookie are relatively low. Yet he's a three time MVP, and of course his career numbers don't include his playing days in the Negro Leagues that went all the way back to 1937 at age 15. And he played for the Brooklyn Dodgers who are, to say the least, among the most popular teams ever. So what gives here?
Old 02-17-2021, 01:28 PM
Jeremy W.

That '53 Bowman Campanella is one of the most appealing cards that I've seen in a while.