NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-20-2013, 06:24 PM

Default Pricing Guides

Hi everyone. Nice forum you have here. I just registered today and this is my first posting.

I began collecting and trading back in the 1960s with one of the first full time baseball card dealers in the country. He also printed a little newsletter that we mailed out every month. I worked there after school for fifty cents an hour in trade! I wish I knew how many thousands and thousands of great, pristine 1950’s and 1960’s baseball cards I sorted, and just how much they would be worth today. I remember sorting boxes of cards and all those great rookies of the 1960’s. Back then I don’t remember the rookies as being very much special. How that has changed now! And of all those old cards I sorted I’m sure some are in PSA holders today with good grades. The only inventory I knew of bigger than ours was Larry Fritsch on in Wisconsin I believe it was. Larry was licensed to buy wholesale and resell retail complete sets. I think I paid around $17 for a mint set of 1968 Topps. I put them up and they didn’t see the light of day for 20 years until I pulled them out again during the card craze of the late 1980’s.

Back then we measured baseball card value in pennies. Today it is almost staggering the amount of money some of these cards are selling for. And today so much business is done on the internet, particularly ebay, and electronic payment via PayPal. It truly is mind boggling compared to how it was when I started.

I still have a love for cards and want to start buying, selling, and trading again but before I jump back in I’d like a little guidance on pricing. I’ve gotten really interested in starting a collection of PSA graded cards. In the event I want to buy duplicates (one to keep, one to trade or sell), what is considered a wholesale price percent for cards? For example, if a card is listed for a true and accurate market value of $100, what would be a good wholesale price offer? $80? 70? 60? 50? How is that determined?

Part of me is a collector, but there is another part of me that wants to buy, sell, and trade again. I just want some basic guideline to follow so I won’t have more invested in the card that I can resell it for later if I decide to.

Thanks again! I look forward to your suggestions, advice, and comments.

DC
Old 12-20-2013, 06:35 PM
Al Richter

Default Collecting

I do not do graded cards and am strictlty a collector, not an investor or seller, so of no help to you, but have been collecting since 1957. The 60s were golden. Who did you work for ?

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 12-20-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:02 PM

I worked for The Sports Trader. Do you remember it? He printed a small monthly publication that we mailed out all over the country. It had ads buying and selling and trading cards.

He also had a booklet he sold called "5,000 addresses of Major League Baseball Players" and people could write the players in the winter time and almost all of them would reply with autographs. I got tons of autographs on 3 x 5 cards, HOF cards, and sometimes they'd even send their own color picture back. A friend of mine got a reply from Mickey Mantle with a signed color 8 X 10 picture. Max Carey was good to sign HOF cards we'd send him, and surprisingly Ted Williams was also. I ever got a picture back from Mrs. Babe Ruth!

Another stroke of good fortune was that my cousin, who is nine years older, had lost interest in cards and developed interest in cars and girls. One day he gave me his entire baseball card collection which was about 5,000 cards from 57-58-59. I remember a few TV Bowman's I think they were called from '53. No '52 Topps, and I don't remember anything past maybe 1960. I remember he had a lot of those old Fleer HOF cards with the old timers. Other than that the collection was almost exclusively the 57's, 58's and '59 Topps cards.

The unfortunate thing was the collection had been cherry picked. My cousin let a friend pick out all the stars he wanted in trade for a miniature pool table that no one has seen now in decades. It probably wasn't worth $20. So, the collection was not chock full of Mantle's, Mays's, and the other main stars of the day. There were some, but not as many as you'd expect.