NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Default R317 Uncle Jacks color subset- complete..finally

Posted By: leon

I finally got the last of the 4 colors of the color subset I have been working on for a long time. I am sure this was in 1-2 other board members collections but it won't be leaving mine for a long while. How many green ones, besides this, has anyone even seen? I think I have seen 1-2 in the last several years, at most, and it might have been this one twice!!.....Thanks Dave F.......

Old 06-27-2008, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Well...I know you'll return the favor. Do you think you'll get my free E222 out tomorrow Leon or will it be Monday?

Old 06-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

congratulations, Leon!!!
quite a milestone.

all the best,

barry

Old 06-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bigfish

Nice pick up Leon. I have never seen a green one. Very Cool!!

Old 06-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Lindholme

This is my green Uncle Jack Hack !
One of my favorites and pretty rare...enjoy !

Brian L
familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Old 06-28-2008, 05:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott M.

Nice pickup Leon, congrats on completing the subset and kudos to Dave for helping you complete it!

Old 06-28-2008, 07:40 AM
Administrator

And thanks for showing another Greenie Brian....very nice....

Old 06-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Administrator

I always like to see different backgrounds on cards....right Tbob?...and a horizontal thrown in for another moderator dude.....

Old 07-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Administrator

A few days ago I got this message from one of the long time hobby collectors, that all old timers would know, concerning the R317's. He has asked to stay anonymous but said he reads the board and appreciates what we do...I asked if I could post this information and he said "no problem"...

"Thanks for posting your green Hack Wilson Uncle Jack. I had never seen one and, quite frankly doubted the green ones were authentic, if they existed at all.
I am a longtime collector who visits your fascinating forum occasionally under the cover of darkness. Over the years I have handled many Uncle Jacks, extracting my set from the Springfield, Mass., "find" in the 70s and susequently noticing any others that popped up in the New England region since then. The Uncle Jacks in that find of 100+ unopened packs were all blue, red or purple, and no player appeared in more than two colors. While I don't have two complete sets, I compared notes with the other two collectors who wound up with most of the find and none of us had any green ones, nor players in three different color schemes.
Some of the handful of Uncle Jacks I've seen that definitely came out of vintage collections are printed on a slightly different stock cardboard and have white backs like your Wilson, while the "find" contained only gray-back cards, usually bearing a slight stain from the double sticks of gum included. Since the gray-back cards have crisper images than the white-back Uncle Jacks I've seen, I've wondered whether the white backs were a second printing, not reprints, however.
Anyway, it would be interesting to determine whether any Uncle Jacks appear in all four color schemes.
By the way, you've probably noticed that the photos used for the Uncle Jacks were also the source for many R306s and R337s, likely originating with Baseball Magazine.
Keep up the good work on Network54."

Old 03-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default old thread

Generally speaking I/we don't want to bring back too many old threads and would rather folks start new ones. However, when there is good information on a lightly talked about subject I think it can make sense. Such is the case here. As ya'll can see, around 3 yrs ago I had posted that I finally got the 4th of 4 different (known at the time) colors of the R317, Uncle Jacks cards. Since then there has been another, very seldom seen, color pop up, that being gray. I have now seen 3 of the gray background ones. I had acquired one a few years ago but returned it as it looked trimmed when I got it. Since then I have seen a Babe Ruth gray one that I believe was in a Goodwin auction not too long ago. SGC actually called me to talk about it as I think someone questioned it's legitimacy. It turned out fine. I finally picked up a Hartnett for myself, that is in a 40 holder, so now believe I have all of the colors known. It's always nice to finish a difficult subset. best regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pr317masterx52nd.jpg (78.1 KB, 189 views)

Last edited by Leon; 03-22-2011 at 12:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-22-2011, 12:40 PM
JeR@Me

Default Cool Subset !

Leon - Your collector perseverance is to be admired, although I am sure you would say you are just being patient and having fun, but such a finite number of Uncle Jacks in color variations, and yet you forge ahead. Very cool -

Nice going - Thanks for the inspiration !

JJ
Old 03-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Brad Green

Great job, Leon! It looks like the Old Cardboard page for R317's needs to be updated. It lists the possible colors as red, blue and purple.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:11 PM
Brad Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive View Post

I am a longtime collector who visits your fascinating forum occasionally under the cover of darkness. Over the years I have handled many Uncle Jacks, extracting my set from the Springfield, Mass., "find" in the 70s and susequently noticing any others that popped up in the New England region since then. The Uncle Jacks in that find of 100+ unopened packs were all blue, red or purple, and no player appeared in more than two colors. While I don't have two complete sets, I compared notes with the other two collectors who wound up with most of the find and none of us had any green ones, nor players in three different color schemes.
Some of the handful of Uncle Jacks I've seen that definitely came out of vintage collections are printed on a slightly different stock cardboard and have white backs like your Wilson, while the "find" contained only gray-back cards, usually bearing a slight stain from the double sticks of gum included. Since the gray-back cards have crisper images than the white-back Uncle Jacks I've seen, I've wondered whether the white backs were a second printing, not reprints, however.
Anyway, it would be interesting to determine whether any Uncle Jacks appear in all four color schemes.
By the way, you've probably noticed that the photos used for the Uncle Jacks were also the source for many R306s and R337s, likely originating with Baseball Magazine.
Keep up the good work on Network54."

What do we know today about the colors of these cards? Do we know if any of the players come in more than two colors?
Old 03-31-2011, 08:10 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftygrove10 View Post
What do we know today about the colors of these cards? Do we know if any of the players come in more than two colors?
Figure this thread is good for one more bump and to answer a few questions.

Don't know if the players came in more than 2 colors but I don't know why they wouldn't?

Also, just shot an email to Lyman to possibly update the colors he has listed on Oldcardboard. He doesn't list green or gray. regards
Old 03-31-2011, 10:04 PM
Lyman Hardeman

Default Green and Gray Added

Thanks for the note, Leon. The R317 Profile Page has now been updated on the Old Cardboard website. We always welcome and appreciate that kind of feedback. Congrats on your completing the color type set.

Lyman