NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-22-2016, 04:12 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default fake psa flips

there are many fake flips out there especially on psa 6 aaron rookies...be careful...cards are real but much lower grade...there may even be one on net54 right now...not saying there is...but be careful
larry
Old 08-22-2016, 04:36 PM
Bob F.

+1
Old 08-22-2016, 04:56 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflayank View Post
there are many fake flips out there especially on psa 6 aaron rookies...be careful...cards are real but much lower grade...there may even be one on net54 right now...not saying there is...but be careful
larry
wow

can you show us what to look for?

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 08-22-2016, 06:01 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
larry
Are these actual "Faked" PSA slabs or slabs that have been cracked?
Old 08-22-2016, 06:07 PM
Mike

Quote:
larry

Hey Larry, don't beat around the bush. You messaged me earlier today saying my card was fake. I gave you a very thoughtful response explaining that another member questioned the authenticity (via Ebay, turned out to be a Net54 member and great guy), and I thanked him for letting me know....took it immediately down, called PSA...sent it to PSA for a $85 review and 2 day express service. They reviewed it... which I explained to you...then you have the nerve to still say it's a fake - and demanded to see my invoice. Keep in mind, you have no interest in the card, you are just busting balls.

So do me a favor, if you are going to accuse me of anything, man up and do it - stop being passive aggressive.
Don't say "there may even on one on net54 and be careful"

Here is the email from PSA after I sent them the card, (identities protected)
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 11:16 AM
To: Michael
Subject: RE: PSA Aaron

Mr. xxx

I hope you are well and apologize for the delay in my response. I will assist in having your Aaron card reviewed, and should the unfortunate instance occur where the card is deemed unauthentic, our operations manager would work with you regarding a remedy for the troubles. Again, I hope you are well, apologize for the delay, and look forward to working with you further.

Best,
xxx
PSA Operations
@collectors.com

Last edited by Canofcorn; 08-22-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:19 PM
Mike

Last edited by Canofcorn; 08-24-2016 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:29 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

I am the afore-mentioned member and great guy that Canofcorn referred to. A buddy of mine was looking for an Aaron rookie and sent me a pic from ebay of a psa 6 Hank that looked all wrong to me. I suspected it was one of the fakes from the Califoria scam years ago. I sent an email to the seller, who IMMEDIATELY pulled it from his store. He asked me for my number and i texted him the links of the fake Aarons. Eventually I asked him if he was on net54 and came to find out it was Canofcorn (he has a different ebay handle). I had never communicated with him before, but his catchy name rung bells.
Anyway, i got a text like two weeks later from him telling me (in jest) that i cost him $100 on the regrade. That the card came back with a 6 in the new holder. He sent me a picture (same as the one he posted here on net). It is the same card he was selling on ebay, only now in a new psa holder.
I can tell you with 100% certainty that Canofcorn, unlike many ebayers would, pulled the card and verified its authenticity rather than pawning it off without knowing. While I agree with the OP that the card seems a bit overgraded and has some characteristics that forgeries tend to have, I know for certain that Canofcorn had it re-slabbed and it passed muster with psa.
Canofcorn is right. You really shouldnt post things about other members without knowing them to be true. It is irresponsible.

Last edited by orly57; 08-22-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:30 PM
Br1an N0Iff

I've done a couple of deals with Mike and have had nothing but positive interactions. Well stated response Mike, I think you went above and beyond to prove to him that the card is not a fake. I know a lot of people would not have taken the moral high ground and tried to sell it if it was possibly a fake. You didn't , you sent it off for verification, that says a lot about a persons character.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:33 PM
je.sse @rnot

Amazing. I hope there is more backlash for posting false fraud accusations on this site than there was for posting a joke about a cat.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:37 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
wow

can you show us what to look for?

Here is a good link. What made me think Canofcorn's card was fake was the black arms and blurry hat on the fielding pose. Also here is a prior Net link discussing it. But it appears bad lighting was to blame.

http://bbcemporium.com/california-craigs-list-psa-scam/

http://www.net54baseball.com/archive...?t-131004.html

Last edited by orly57; 08-22-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:39 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Amazing. I hope there is more backlash for posting false fraud accusations on this site than there was for posting a joke about a cat.
agreed!

For the record, Mike is an honest guy and hearing that he pulled it from eBay and paid good money to have it reviewed goes a long way in my book.

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 08-22-2016, 07:01 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default Aaron

No one said the card was fake
No one said you made a fake slip
And no one said you switched cards
What was said is that theres a very good chance that the flip is fake since the card cant possibly grade a 6 unless the grader was blind...if in fact psa reviewed this card and kept the grade as a 6...then clearly they just didnt want to pay you the smr of a 6 as per their guarantee
Personally i would still like to see the invoice
That shows you paid for a grade review and a reholder
Old 08-22-2016, 07:19 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
The OP didn't mention any names or any other info about the member, the member chose to do that himself.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:23 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
The OP didn't mention any names or any other info about the member, the member chose to do that himself.

Just my 2 cents.
Well I'm the only one with a PSA 6 Aaron on here at the moment.

Last edited by Canofcorn; 08-22-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:25 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default aaron

thank you
that is correct i mentioned no one
the card holder came on here to tell us himself
Old 08-22-2016, 07:32 PM
Mike

Quote:
thank you
You send me PMs calling my card a fake

You proceed to create a thread - saying there might even be one on Net54, and I'm the only one with a PSA 6 on net54

You continue to bash my card saying the grader must have been blind - when I am actively trying to sell it here (would you want anybody saying anything derogatory about your '52T Mantle you are trying to sell here?)

And you still have the nerve to want to see my invoice.....(It will cost you $114 to see it)

Last edited by Canofcorn; 08-22-2016 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:33 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
No one said the card was fake
No one said you made a fake slip
And no one said you switched cards
What was said is that theres a very good chance that the flip is fake since the card cant possibly grade a 6 unless the grader was blind...if in fact psa reviewed this card and kept the grade as a 6...then clearly they just didnt want to pay you the smr of a 6 as per their guarantee
Personally i would still like to see the invoice
That shows you paid for a grade review and a reholder
Are you serious??? You still want an invoice? It is obviously the same card Larry! Look at the nicks on the left border. Or are you suggesting that our old pal Canofcorn has mountains of both new and old slabs in his house in efforts to scam members of Net54? Just stop it, apologize, and move on.

Last edited by orly57; 08-22-2016 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:35 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canofcorn View Post
Well I'm the only one with a PSA 6 Aaron on here at the moment.
I wasn't aware of that, but if other members are, then I am sorry.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:46 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I wasn't aware of that, but if other members are, then I am sorry.
No need to apoligize Irv. You and I both know and have said on numerous occasions that PSA used to give out some very generous grades....and older 5s and 6s would be 2s, 3s, and 4s today. Take care
Old 08-22-2016, 07:47 PM
Eric Cheng

Some cards are stronger and some cards are weaker in certain grade, and you can't only judge it by the corners. Some cards has great corners but color fade so bad.

check out this mantle, corners are great, but look at the bottom edge color, looks like stain

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1954-RED-HEA...p2047675.l2557
Old 08-22-2016, 07:50 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
thank you
Unbelievable. It was quite clear who you were referring to in your initial post. It took me about 10 seconds to find the listing. Rather than apologize for your false accusations you just keep making yourself look worse. I would never think of calling out another member the way you did unless I was absolutely certain. And even then I would probably only do so if I was the victim of the supposed fraud. A complete lack of class in my opinion.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:09 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default aaron

nobody accused him of anything
i never mentioned his name or his card
there are 1000s of fake flips out there
and there is no way on earth this particular card grades a 6
its a 4 at best and more likely a 3
i sincerely doubt psa reviewed this card and maintained the grade of 6
if the flip is real and the card hasnt been switched
then the owner of this card....should have learned a lesson....buy the card not the holder
the thread was nothing more than a warning to everyone that there are many fake flips out there
and based on todays prices i would demand psa buy the card at the going rate as per their guarantee

Last edited by sflayank; 08-22-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:16 AM
Br1an N0Iff

Three things in life I don't like
1. Warm beer
2. Wet toilet paper
3. Anal retentive supposed know it alls

Numbers 1 and 2 don't apply to Larry....
Old 08-23-2016, 08:18 AM
B.ob L.amb

Quote:
I agree!!!
Old 08-23-2016, 09:19 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Larry,

PSA reviewed the card to determine if it was authentic or not ( a fake ). That is all PSA did. They did not regrade the card. The card was graded years ago so there is no need to regrade the card, and PSA applied a new label ( as evident with the PSA hologram ) and holder. The registration number did not change.

You've been on the board for a number of years and know that grading is subjective. We have all seen cards graded 5's that should be 7's, and 7's that should be 5's.

What ever the case, the card graded what it did at the time.

Mike has a nice PSA 6 Aaron, that MOST of us would love to have.

He appears to have gone above and beyond to relieve any doubt about the cards authenticity.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:51 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default Aaron

Obviously you are completely unaware of the actual situation...NOBODY claimed the card wasnt real
And it was not sent in for that purpose..if it was sent in at all..which i doubt...PSA GRADING GUARANTEE....read it...since hes selling the card anyway psa would happily give him current market value if they made a grading error....if there is someone on this board who believes that card is exmt....i have many many baseball cards in that condition id like to sell for exmt prices....
Old 08-23-2016, 10:04 AM
$téve VV1lk

You can't passively state "there may be a fake PSA 6 up for sale on the board". That's just shenanigans and in absolute poor character; not becasue you posted it, but becasue you won't stand behind your accusation. Just becasue you didnt directly point it out, does not mean you are not 100% implying that that is the particular card that you are referring to. The only credence is that you only stated that it could be a fake (becasue you have zero proof that it is). In that case, I think that you are justified in trying to solve your doubts and relay them, but you better be able to walk the walk and you are now playing dumb.

You called him out, so now you have to either prove it, or at least say that you can't.

How would you like it if someone said:
"There may or may not be a 52 Mantle SGC 6 floating around the boards that is most likely a fake. The price may or may not have been dropped a half dozen times. If said card and post existed, it's obviously not being sold becasue it is probably a fake.".
I'm sure you would be pissed as just the slightest amount of doubt in the authenticity of a card with turn off any buyer.

In one hand, pointing out possible counterfeits/fakes/scams is important. However, you can't be frivolously doing it (not saying that you were). What does need to happen though, is when you have been proven wrong, you need to make it right and say that you were wrong; not cower behind your keyboard and playing ignorant and dumb.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:06 AM
$téve VV1lk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
Larry,

PSA reviewed the card to determine if it was authentic or not ( a fake ). That is all PSA did. They did not regrade the card. The card was graded years ago so there is no need to regrade the card, and PSA applied a new label ( as evident with the PSA hologram ) and holder. The registration number did not change.

You've been on the board for a number of years and know that grading is subjective. We have all seen cards graded 5's that should be 7's, and 7's that should be 5's.

What ever the case, the card graded what it did at the time.

Mike has a nice PSA 6 Aaron, that MOST of us would love to have.

He appears to have gone above and beyond to relieve any doubt about the cards authenticity.
+1
Old 08-23-2016, 10:08 AM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Obviously you are completely unaware of the actual situation...NOBODY claimed the card wasnt real
And it was not sent in for that purpose..if it was sent in at all..which i doubt...PSA GRADING GUARANTEE....read it...since hes selling the card anyway psa would happily give him current market value if they made a grading error....if there is someone on this board who believes that card is exmt....i have many many baseball cards in that condition id like to sell for exmt prices....
Why would you doubt that this card was sent back in to PSA? Even after it resides in the new holder with a brand new flip? Even though Mike was never mentioned in the OP, he has been since and the back story made public, and you are still accusing him of not being upfront and honest - time to apologize.

He did not grade the card. PSA did.

At this point, the grade is not the issue. PSA graded the card, reholdered the card, and it is what it is.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:17 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default aaron

im still waiting for the proof
he is refusing to show his receipt for sending in the card for review
instead he shows a probable fake email.....if you send in a card for review they get it just like any submission...look at it and send it back....an apology email?..and they dont reholder for free...that card would be an additional 35 for reholder
if his story is true...then with the reholdered card he received a copy of the invoice and receipt
lets see it
as for the flips...aaron rookies ruths and mantles are the most common cards being switched...people should be on the lookout.....that card is 3 grades off
thats sets off a red flag....doesnt mean the flip is fake....but id be cautious
Old 08-23-2016, 10:33 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkiebaby11 View Post
Just becasue you didnt directly point it out, does not mean you are not 100% implying that that is the particular card that you are referring to.
Agreed. Anyone ever see the "... so I'm selling it as a reprint..." qualifiers on ebay. No one had to infer anything because it was already implied.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:09 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
instead he shows a probable fake email.....if you send in a card for review they get it just like any submission...look at it and send it back....an apology email?..and they dont reholder for free...that card would be an additional 35 for reholder
if his story is true...then with the reholdered card he received a copy of the invoice and receipt
lets see it
as for the flips...aaron rookies ruths and mantles are the most common cards being switched...people should be on the lookout.....that card is 3 grades off
Still waiting for proof? Mike doesn't owe you anything. I would have told you to f off a long time ago and mind your own business. He has chosen to take the high road and has shown a lot of class in the way he has handled your ridiculous accusations. Perhaps you could learn something from his example.

The apology email appears to be simply for a delay in responding.

The card has clearly been reholdered. The fee for this service is $7, not 35, for a card with a declared value under 5k. Whether or not you feel the card is over graded is irrelevant. I think your sgc 6 Mantle with major centering and tilt issues is over priced and over graded. But I wouldn't start a thread about it.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:11 AM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
lets see it
Why should you need to see a copy of the invoice and receipt when he's posted the before and after flip pics of the card? You'd have to be blind as a bat to not see that they are the exact same card in two different pics; one without the hologram and one with. They are the same card and the hologram proves that he resubmitted the card.

Stop with the witch hunt.

Last edited by TheNightmanCometh; 08-23-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:15 AM
Eric Cheng

reholder is the cheap part, the shipping/return shipping+ inusrance probably cost another $50
Old 08-23-2016, 11:20 AM
Mike

Last edited by Canofcorn; 08-24-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:29 AM
Matt

Quote:
This will be my last post in this thread. Since you continue to attack my credibility, saying I refuse to show a receipt and providing a probable fake email, here is a screen shot of my PSA order. Clearly, an expert like you realizes I had 2 day Super Express service for $85, and not just a reholder. They would not label it Super Express for a simple reholder. So, there you go.

Right on, Mike. Life is too short for such unnecessary chafing.

You did the stand up thing the stand up way, and happy to hear the card was solid.

Ignore the noise, and enjoy the day

Best,

MC
Old 08-23-2016, 11:31 AM
G.ary L.eavitt

Default Invoice

Boom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boom.jpg (70.2 KB, 193 views)
Old 08-23-2016, 12:44 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111gecko View Post
Boom
+1

But something tells me that if Larry thought the email was fake, he'll probably think the screen shot is too. I doubt Mike will get an apology.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:32 PM
B.ob L.amb

Quote:
still waiting for proof? Mike doesn't owe you anything. I would have told you to f off a long time ago and mind your own business. He has chosen to take the high road and has shown a lot of class in the way he has handled your ridiculous accusations. Perhaps you could learn something from his example.

The apology email appears to be simply for a delay in responding.

The card has clearly been reholdered. The fee for this service is $7, not 35, for a card with a declared value under 5k. Whether or not you feel the card is over graded is irrelevant. I think your sgc 6 mantle with major centering and tilt issues is over priced and over graded. But i wouldn't start a thread about it.
bang!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by basesareempty; 08-23-2016 at 02:33 PM. Reason: SPELLING
Old 08-23-2016, 02:45 PM
Mike

+1

Last edited by Canofcorn; 08-23-2016 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:10 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default aaron

boy...u must be blind this cards a 4 and its way nicer than your 6
Old 08-23-2016, 03:12 PM
D.an Jackso.n

Quote:
+1

Last edited by stlcardsfan; 08-23-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:14 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default aaron

thank you
Old 08-23-2016, 03:27 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
thank you
Nice apology
Old 08-23-2016, 03:46 PM
Mike

Appreciate the kind words from everyone...well, almost everyone.

Last edited by Canofcorn; 08-23-2016 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:11 PM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

Sometimes people do more harm than good as is the case here. Some good but over zealous intentions put the card holder out of some serious green. Almost everyone on this board probably doesn't need to be told to use caution when purchasing cards, even graded ones. Myself I wouldn't be so worried with someone switching cards or flips but more worried that PSA slabbed a counterfeit or altered card. I just think people should be more discreet when calling out a card or case as fake. Look at all the trouble this has caused. Crazy indeed.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2016, 06:31 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
No need to apoligize Irv. You and I both know and have said on numerous occasions that PSA used to give out some very generous grades....and older 5s and 6s would be 2s, 3s, and 4s today. Take care
Quote:
Appreciate the kind words from everyone...well, almost everyone.
I know what you said above, and I appreciate it very much, but I must apologize again as I had no business to comment in this thread without knowing all the details, or the history (if any) between the two involved parties.

I am not looking for further detail as I don't need, nor want to know. Just stating, I am sorry for appearing to defend the accuser when I didn't know what was fully going on at the time.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:52 PM
Garrett

Mike > Larry. I love when people are proved absolutely wrong and still try to find ways to save face. There may or may not be a member on this board who cannot face the facts when presented with them....and it's not Mike.

1955:206/206 complete
1956: 298/341 complete
1957: just starting
1958:515/534 complete; 1 base, 2 numerical checklists and 16 yellow letters

1959: 513/572
1959 PSA 6: 40/572
1965: 352/598
1966: 447/598
1967: /609
1968: /598
1969: 562/664
1970: 635/720
1971: 717/752
Old 08-24-2016, 06:13 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnpaden View Post
Mike > Larry. I love when people are proved absolutely wrong and still try to find ways to save face. There may or may not be a member on this board who cannot face the facts when presented with them....and it's not Mike.

....and he may have just been schooled, not saying he was, but he may have been.

Geez, what a waste of a thread.

Good luck with your card.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 08-24-2016, 06:32 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Just "cleanse" the flip like Larry did on his SGC 80 Mantle. Then nobody will ever know what card it was, or be able to research what you paid for it

(Spelling)

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 08-24-2016 at 06:33 PM.