NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Default Am I alone thinking that this is annoying?

On eBay, as a seller, I really get annoyed at those bidders who will place 10 to 15 bids in a row, just to become the high bidder!!! I get real annoyed when someone does that in my auctions.

As a BUYER, I also get annoyed when Im bidding on something that theres always one person who always has to be the high bidder because if they get outbid they keep bidding until they re the high bidder! These tactics will usually inflate the price I want to pay on a card!
Old 12-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Jeff

Well then as a seller wouldn't the same tactics be inflating the price your selling a card for?

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 12-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Well then as a seller wouldn't the same tactics be inflating the price your selling a card for?
I dont want that as a seller because it may inadvertently turn off potential bidders.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:04 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Why does it matter if a bidder places 100 bids in a row or one really big one?

So just so I understand as a seller it annoys you that bidders are fighting to be top bidder in your auction? It also annoys you when as a buyer you are outbid and someone is willing to pay more for something than you by bidding multiple times in a row...?

John
Old 12-02-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeCollector View Post
As a BUYER, I also get annoyed when Im bidding on something that theres always one person who always has to be the high bidder because if they get outbid they keep bidding until they re the high bidder! These tactics will usually inflate the price I want to pay on a card!
Ah yes, but then that may also inadvertently turn off potential bidders, which could drive the price lower, creating a paradox we can never escape, and a world in which we bid on auctions we can never win, but always win....

just go with the flow, man. Life's too short to be concerned with who's bidding on cards and how often, unless you suspect shill bidding (which eBay has made conveniently difficult to detect with hidden id's, but that's a different topic).

Good luck with your collection!
Old 12-02-2011, 11:16 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Why does it matter if a bidder places 100 bids in a row or one really big one?

So just so I understand as a seller it annoys you that bidders are fighting to be top bidder in your auction? It also annoys you when as a buyer you are outbid and someone is willing to pay more for something than you by bidding multiple times in a row...?

John
Well, I had a bidder place like 20 bids in a row in one of my auctions and I get another email from another bidder telling me Im shilling the auction!!!!

I dont mind someone paying more than me when the auction ends BUT i dont get why some bidders always need to be high bidders with 6 days to go, 5 days to go, 4 days to go....I place my initial bid and if I really want the card, I bid my price 30 seconds before auction ends.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:49 AM
Barry Sloate

Jim- but you weren't shilling the auction, and the bidder did nothing except make you more money. You have nothing to explain to other bidders. You did nothing wrong.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default I am with Wonka on this one

I am with Wonka on this one. If someone wants to bid in my auctions, 1 time or 1000 times, bless their heart and thank you very much.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:08 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

I can see your point, if a newer seller... However, If you've got longevity and excellent reviews, there's no need to worry about most bidders... You will always butt heads with the occasional turd of course.

A hallmark of a shady auction. The genuine Shill will normally cease bidding just under a milestone price., ie; $99.76, $498.50, $1,977. etc

In time, eBay's programmers will again "improve" their site so we can no longer spot these patterns.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:13 AM
Pete Sycks

I understand where you're coming from Jim. A couple of months ago someone on ebay with 0 feedback bid 5+ x's on my auction and felt that others would think that I was shill bidding even though I wasn't. I have since blocked everyone under 5 feedback.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:21 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
I understand where you're coming from Jim. A couple of months ago someone on ebay with 0 feedback bid 5+ x's on my auction and felt that others would think that I was shill bidding even though I wasn't. I have since blocked everyone under 5 feedback.
You're kidding?
Over my 15 years or so w/ eBay, I've had dozens of winners w/ 5 or less feedback
and EVERYONE has paid for their lot.
We all started w/ zero feedback.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:47 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I agree with the OP on this one for the reasons that Pete stated. As a seller, it just looks suspicious to other bidders when a zero (or low) feedback bidder bids on my item several times in a row. As a bidder, I wonder if I'm being shilled when I see the same activity.

If you're not going to snipe, then you should bid just once and make that your maximum proxy bid. In fact, I bet it would drive up final values if eBay implemented a rule only allowing bidders to bid twice on the same item. Buyers would know they only have two shots and I bet the bids would be higher.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Fred

Can you post a listing of one of your auctions? I'd like to see what you mean by that many bids by one bidder.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:58 PM
Jeff

I guess you could always put in your listing, "If you are going to bid in my auction, and then continue to bid until you are the highest bidder, please move on."

I see what you are saying about how it may look fishy. That would be the case if you had bidders doing that in every one of your listings maybe.

Isn't the whole point to have bidders?

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 12-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Fred

Can you post a link to one of your auctions? I'd like to see what you mean by that many bids by one bidder.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Curt

As a buyer, it would be ridiculous to continue bidding against someone like you describe. The person who has to be top bidder drives the price up, but ONLY if someone else feels the need to outbid that person. If everyone waits and tosses out a snipe bid, then that person won't have a chance to bid up the price.

The best way I have found to deal with an auction is to place the smallest possible starting bid and then set up a snipe bid for the last seconds. This method still allows me to see who the winner is, if not me, and hopefully keeps the overall price as low as possible if I win.

Of course high early proxy bids and other snipers will affect prices regardless of what bidders do in between opening bid and the hammer falling, but I believe that there is no good reason to keep bidding for the sole purpose of being high bidder.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Mike C@.v3

Default bidding

Jim,

I can relate to what you are saying. I believe people can look at this in a few different ways. Of course we want people to bid on our items, but when someone makes several bids in a row, it looks like shilling and could easily decrease the number of people bidding on your auction...meaning a lower selling price

However, if someone feels the need to be the top bidder everyday, I don't have an issue with that at all...this may be frustating if you are continually getting outbid, but this is completely fair and it's just the way some people like to do it.

Also, if I'm going to bid on an item I will bid my highest amount or place a snipe bid for that amount...so either way I'm not going to go higher than I originally wanted to on an item.
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 12-03-2011, 09:25 PM

Why are bothering with eBay at all. Just buy & consign from auction houses.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Dave Terwi.lliger

I think bidders should only be able to bid whatever the VCP is for the card, not a dollar more or less....and only be able to bid once in any given auction.
It would just be so much less frustrating. I also agree that anyone under 5 feedback should never be allowed to bid in any auction.

This way we will keep new punks from getting into this game and sellers would never be able to make a profit.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Am I alone thinking that this is annoying?

Quote:
I think bidders should only be able to bid whatever the VCP is for the card, not a dollar more or less....and only be able to bid once in any given auction.
It would just be so much less frustrating. I also agree that anyone under 5 feedback should never be allowed to bid in any auction.

This way we will keep new punks from getting into this game and sellers would never be able to make a profit.
Looks like someone is trying to challenge Jeff for the sarcasm of the year award.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:46 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeCollector View Post
I dont mind someone paying more than me when the auction ends BUT i dont get why some bidders always need to be high bidders with 6 days to go, 5 days to go, 4 days to go....I place my initial bid and if I really want the card, I bid my price 30 seconds before auction ends.
Dont ever go to a live auction those guys with the paddles (up & down & down & up) will drive you nuts, always trying to be top bidder

Cheers,

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 12-05-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:49 AM

Interestingly, all of the repiles to your post are relevant and accurate. Hopefully you're now OK with how things go based on the responses you received. I understand you're feelings on the subject and as I believe one reply implied, it's better to be able to stay even-keeled about as many things as possible-given how many things are potential sources of aggravation these days. Keep buying, selling and enjoying the time you spend doing it. If it get's too aggravating, do less of it or come up with some strategies like some suggested to minimize the effects of what people are bound to do. Enjoy the holidays!- G. Greene
Old 12-05-2011, 10:55 AM

OY!!
Old 12-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Rob G.

Whilst the pissants continue to argue about bidding tactics, we have quietly placed high bids on 32 new ultra high grade rare type cards for America's Toughest Wantlist.