NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-01-2002, 11:30 PM
Administrator

Default Official Board Question of the Week

Posted By: John(z28jd)

me and someone else were playing hockey and we had a disagreement and we decided the best way to settle it was by violence and at the end my jersey had red stuff on it,presumably blood,presumably mine and it wouldnt wash out,so thats why its there

Old 08-02-2002, 06:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Williams

On the side, I collect old blues albums and Fillmore posters/handbills. Back in the 80's (while still living with my folks), I bought a collection of around 60 Bill Graham/Fillmore posters and have been adding here and there ever since. From a Blues perspective, the older the better....Nice topic!

Old 08-02-2002, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

temporarily both owning an e95 Wagner at the same time.

I have also been collecting blues vinyl also - picked up a bunch of Roy Buchanan albums last Fall and I'm hoping to find some Buddy Guy vinyl in Chicago next week.

Old 08-02-2002, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David 

Elliot didn't object (of course, I didn't ask), so I'm taking over. As a change of pace for all the cat fighting, I pose the following 'secret pleasures' question.

This board is all about Pre-War baseball cards, and we all pooh-pooh inserts and memorabilia cards and stuff like that. The question is, what out of the ordinary for this board items do you collect? Thing that are other T206s or T3 Turkey Reds or whatever, and things that other board members are unaware of.

And make sure to answer this thread, so I don't look stupid. Otherwise, I will have to post under a variety of names to make myself look popular and influential.

My answer is as follows: I've always liked the 1955-60 Armour Coins, and want to get the 'Honus Wagner' Daley. I remember BMW offered about a year ago the coolest two-toned coin. I also like 1920s-30s Hollywood Promo Photographs, Bela Lugosi B-Movie memorabilia (though all his movies were B), Hal Roach Productions(movie short producer) memorabilia, Syd Barrett and specific rare rock memorabilia, and I have a strange but unapoligetic fascination with tea cups. I also have a fascination for personal items that belonged to famous people, whether they are baseball players or otherwise famous.

Old 08-02-2002, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Someone totally other than David

Pure genius!

Old 08-02-2002, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Another objective observer

Lookin' Good!

Old 08-02-2002, 10:25 AM
Administrator

--------------------------------------------
no disclaimer - temporarily taking responsibility for my actions

Old 08-02-2002, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Scott, now that Elliot's out and I'm in charge, I could have you banned for comments like that.

Old 08-02-2002, 10:32 AM
Administrator

I did try posting on a blues rock board once, but my, what language.

I must admit that I no longer collect much of anything non-baseball related. I am an avid blues fan, so the Chicago trip will be a blast - staying downtown for 8 nights, and will be out partying every one of them.

I also am a marathon runner, but the last big race was Boston two years ago and I am trying to get back into shape for one this Fall, then Boston again in the Spring.

Old 08-02-2002, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dr.Koos

....to change the subject! If you have nothing BAD to say about that bastard, Koos (paaaa-tooooey, may he burn in Hell...Feh!), don't post anything at all!

Old 08-02-2002, 10:37 AM
Administrator

I met Buddy Guy is Wisconsin once

Old 08-02-2002, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john(z28jd)

i collect casey candaele cards and memoribilia,probably the greatest person related to a womens professional baseball player to ever play in the majors......also used to collect hockey fight tapes and jerseys of hockey goons,have 25 of them,2 have blood stains too(unfortunately both are from me)

Old 08-02-2002, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Oh yeah, I saw Bo Diddly in an airport. I could tell it was him, because it looked like Bo Diddly and the back of his jacket said 'BO DIDDLY'in sequins.

Old 08-02-2002, 10:40 AM
Administrator

I was sitting at the bar and he sat down nearby. So I got him to autograph a Chicago Bluesfest program. I saw him perform for the first time the next afternoon.

Old 08-02-2002, 10:42 AM
Administrator

You mean, a hockey player hit you and you got back by bleeding on him?

Old 08-02-2002, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

Have a collection of salesman samples. These were small versions of the real thing that the company salesman used to carry around when the real product was too large to handle.
Also been collecting "vintage" peanut roasters and street vendor carts along with related paper. It gives me incentive to have plenty of beer on hand so I have something to wash the peanuts and shells down with.

Old 08-02-2002, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Keith, I remember (at least I think it was you) when you posted the pictures of the items you had. I know little about non baseball card salesman's samples, but have always found the miniature versions of irons and kettles and things fascinating.

Old 08-02-2002, 01:21 PM
Administrator

David, it probably was me. If anyone is interested in seeing any of this stuff, its on my "About Me" page on ebay. Userid vwtdi (VolksWagen Turbo Diesel Injected).

Old 08-02-2002, 02:21 PM
Administrator

you got your ebay name from the car you drive? thats just strange.John(z28jd on ebay)

Old 08-02-2002, 02:22 PM
Administrator

you got your ebay name from the car you drive? thats just strange.John(z28jd on ebay)

Old 08-02-2002, 02:36 PM
Administrator

John, Heres another one in my non baseball collection that might interest you.

Old 08-02-2002, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay berhens

as almost everyone here knows, I collect cards with Indian Chiefs on them. Mainly A&G N2 (need 6 including variations to finish set) and N36 (not even close to completing, too damn rare) Celebrated American Indian Chiefs, Dockman/American Caramel Wild West 24 cards set (need 4 Dockmans and 13 AC), American Caramel Wild West Caramel 20 card set (need 7) Ganong Chocalates (have 39 of 50, hows that for a Ganong collection, Pete?) and Monarch/Kickapoo (need Red Cloud and Black Hawk).

I also have a large collection of Banana Splits memorabilia, over 200 dvds and a few Allen & Ginter Albums. At one time or another have collected just about everything including comics, stamps, coins, board games, action figures (which Is till have about 500), lunch pails, beer cans and lots of other things I am forgetting.

With most of my Indian sets being compete I will be venturing back into baseball cards more seriously again. This time I will be working on something I threatened to do back in the 80s, put together a player set. Player set being one card of anyone that has appeared on a baseball card.

Jay

Old 08-02-2002, 03:04 PM
Administrator

if you try to put together the player set,is there any time restraint on it,say like post 1900 only or pre ww2?

Old 08-02-2002, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay berhens

right now the time frame I am going to work with is 1905-1945. the Birsch-Williams cards are too damn hard, but I will grab them if I can get them cheap enough. A post WW2 set will be way to easy to do.

Right now I am working on getting lists on any major leaguers that are in the numerous minor league sets from the turn of the century. I have lists of for Obak and Old Mill, but need lists for the other sets.

Jay

Old 08-02-2002, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

I've got one hobby that no one else does--I collect Murex shells. For the uninitiated, Murexes are a type of carniverous snail that have very ornate shells. I also collect Kalamazoo Bats actress cards but that ain't near as wierd!

Old 08-02-2002, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 08-02-2002, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Aside from collecting any E-Set issued by any company on any subject matter I also collect Rita Hayworth items as well as the photography of Hollywood photographer Georege Hurrell.

Over the years I've also collected ancient coins and comic books and I save every ticket stub from every concert I have ever been to - 128 and counting.

Good lord, Jay - do you still have all that stuff? Where do you keep it? If those Ganong's were an American set I don't think you'd have 39 of them.

Old 08-02-2002, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Nope, don't have most of it anymore. When I was 17 I traded all my comic books for 1955 Topps Kofax and bunch of other baseball cards. I still have a few coins but nothing valuable. The neatest one I still have is a 3 cent piece. I still have a few lunchpails, the most valuable being my Banana Splits, which also one of the most desirable to people that collect them. I have some comics again. Those are all books I kept when I sold my portion of the comic store and have bought a bunch of old Spider-Man for son, who is the biggest Spider-Man geek you will ever meet. And this was long before the movie ever came out. And I am alawys finding stuff every time I open up boxes

This also why garage and estate are very dangerous places for me to be around. I am too much of a magpie, wanting buy everything that shiney or neat

Jay

Old 08-02-2002, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Apart from vintage cards, I collect just about everything picture Tom Seaver. I have nearly everything, but if you have something truly unusual, I'd love to hear from you, even if it's not for sale.

Paul

Old 08-02-2002, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

My collection is a "one trick pony". My finances are such that I ended up selling three sets to fund the one. I probably will start another one in a couple of years. But for now I just have one really nice set. The set I miss the most is the 1949 Bowman PCL set that I sold to John Rumierz. I'm glad that all of the sets wound up in the hands of collectors. I'm surprised that the Play Ball set hasn't made its way to the PSA Set registry, however.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 08-03-2002, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Mostly antique meerschaums. I also have a cool antique oak humidor shaped like a barrel.

Ben, I remember those deckle-edges and the little team books - I tossed them in the garbage on the way out the door after opening the packs! Wish I had them now. At least I was smart enough to save the coins.

Old 08-03-2002, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

But the only cards I have are 1951 Bowman baseball cards. I did sell an almost complete set (missing three high number commons) of 1939 Play Ball cards that was mostly PSA 7 and PSA 8 in addition to 2/3 of the sample variations and about 1/3 of the small letter variations so that I could improve my 1951 set. So I qualified at one time to be a poster here.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 08-03-2002, 10:41 AM
Administrator

This is the picture I email to unsuspecting female dolts when they are curious and I'm in my "meet women on the internet node". I'm not quite sure why yet, but curiously enough, this one seems to get a more positive response then my nudies.

Old 08-03-2002, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

David is being modest here---he has a beautiful '51 Bowman Complete Set, all PSA 8's and 9's, but David c'mon those can't be the only cards you own.

Old 08-03-2002, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: benge610

Surprise surprise: tobacco paraphrenalia. I inherited a Majolica humidor from my great-great grandparents; my Dad left me his pipe collection and accompanying pipe stands and humidors when he died. I've added some things here and there along the way, copper-lined smoke stands, standing ashtrays, leather cigar cases, etc. (all vintage).

My wife and I collect Goofy (Disney) things going back to the 60's. It's an inside joke between us; crap, now all of you know.

Tony Stewart Nascar die-cast cars (Rookie season only and Busch Series) in 1:24 and 1:64 scales; Revell/Action/RCCA; not retail junk.

'69 Topps Deckle-edge and comic booklets; thinking of the Supers, but got the vintage bug, you know. I have near sets of '69-'71 from age 9. I was really anal back then (some say now too) about taking care of my cards, so they're good lookin'.

HOFer Baseball and Hockey jerseys along with my childhood favorites and my Dad's favorites. I do this for absolute fun (not investment). I pick up blank backed baseball jerseys on eBay and have my local sporting goods guy do the numbering/lettering and ... oh my god ... I WEAR THEM! A few years back, I gave alot of business to the local guy when the fastpitch teams I pitched for had uniforms done thru him and he does a nice job. Hockey jerseys I usually buy already completed.

19th/early 20th century actors/actresses cards.

Sorry for the long-windednes, but this was kinda fun.

Ben.

Old 08-03-2002, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Keith, why would they be interested in a brown Volvo, and what is that red thing blocking the view?

Old 08-03-2002, 11:49 AM
Administrator

What's a meerschaum?

Old 08-03-2002, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Go into a big comic book store. Look for the hardback collections of R.Crumb. Look for volume 10. Inside, look for "Parade," 1975, Fall. Read "That's Life." It's about the cutting, distribution and collecting of a record.

It's one of my favorite stories of all time.

Old 08-03-2002, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: benge610

David: That's the manufacturer of tobacco pipes which are carved from ivory into figural poses (faces mostly)at the "bowl" end of the pipe.

Scott: My Dad only left me one of those beauties; he only used it on "special" occassions.
The deckle-edge and booklets are just sort of a side thing for fun; I kept all of my deckles, but, yeah the booklets never made it home most of the time; gotta a few coins (mostly Cubs of course, being from Chicago area).

Ben.

Old 08-03-2002, 01:32 PM
Administrator

did you get my email.with the car scan included?

Old 08-03-2002, 02:11 PM
Administrator

john, it probably went to work. I'm at home today. feel free to send it to jkoleary@infi.net

Old 08-03-2002, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I collect any kind of paraphinalia (sp?) that the little cards came in, on, around, or were distributed by......so if anyone has any caramel wrappers, tobacco packs, or whatever, let me know ....regards all

Old 08-03-2002, 03:27 PM
Administrator

I'm telling the truth here...while sitting on top of my woodshed smoking a meerschaum pipe...red cape blowing in the wind.

The odd-looking fellow in the field ate his entire sack of mushrooms and now seems to be typing on his notebook computer...here it comes.

Old 08-03-2002, 03:46 PM
Administrator

did you get it now?.........im going to a car show right now,wish i was bringing my car but the traffic around here is no good,too many new yorkers who dont know how to drive down for the weekend

Old 08-04-2002, 12:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Collecting Dust
I just can't seem to get enough of it, it even over takes my vintage card collection.

Lee

Old 08-04-2002, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

that he also took up space in college.

Jay