NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-03-2002, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Default Yet another victim

Posted By: Bruce Moreland

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1847871630

This is the first I've ever heard that anyone sent something back to PRO for their "analysis".

That they just declared that it was trimmed and returned it shows a lot of chutzpah.

A dealer that won't take returns on graded material, and a grader that won't stand behind their grading, are a very malodorous combination.

bruce

Old 08-03-2002, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scott (runscott)

PRO actually admitted that the card was trimmed. Does this mean that they do have a trace of integrity, but just employee poor graders? I upgrade PRO from 0/10 to 2/10.

Now I will go put on my red cape and jump off a wood-shed. Last time I was on the wood-shed I noticed an odd-looking fellow out in the field, wearing a dental hygienist assistant's frock coat and meticulously removing mushrooms from cow dung.

--------------------------------------------
no disclaimer - temporarily taking responsibility for my actions

Old 08-03-2002, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brueso

from the auction description

"from the meticulous graders at PRO"

HA! I love it.

Old 08-03-2002, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dr.Koos

...gathering her secret ingredients in order to prepare your favorite mid-morning fare. Meerschaums, huh? Even think about why you derive so much pleasure from having a big, fat, pipe of THAT specific shape, shoved in your mouth?

Old 08-03-2002, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

It is fully devoid of concerns for body fluids!

come back!

Old 08-03-2002, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

...you seemed almost inspired.

--------------------------------------------
no disclaimer - temporarily taking responsibility for my actions

Old 08-03-2002, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

The guy accurately recited the history of the card and made it clear that he believes it was trimmed. The reference to PRO'S skills is obviously sarcastic.

FYI, I did exactly the same thing when I sold a PRO piece of $#!7 N28 that I got. No returns on a sale like that is totally appropriate since the buyer has been told up front that the card has a sleazy history and a trimmed determination.

Old 08-03-2002, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Moreland

I think it's fine from a buyer/seller standpoint, too. I thought the story was interesting.

I have absolutely no complaint about this seller.

I have to wonder if this kind of thing goes around in circles though. Someone could see this auction and know for sure that they can get a PRO-8.0 out of this, buy it, send it in, and then dump it on yet another poor fool.

bruce

Old 08-03-2002, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

In this case he apparently got burned by a PRO card and decided not to push his misfortune off on some putz to re-coup his loss.

Old 08-04-2002, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: benge610

"maladorous" - nicely played, Bruce. I'm in agreement, thorough and proper listing considering the circumstances; nice jab at PRO (wish we knew then what we know now); and no, Tim we don't think you were the first "poor fool".

Speaking of circles, isn't there always going to be a next poor fool? Whether it's a good card we're talking about or a not-so-good card, isn't this hobby a continuous circle of auctions/private transactions?
At some point, doesn't everyone here look at one or more of their cards with "wiser" eyes and think "maybe it's time to get rid of it"? Be thorough/proper in description and terms, and off with you trimmed card!
Hell, if it's not PRO it'll be NASA or you name it; this circle will continue as long as there are low integrity grade services and get-rich quick schemes (while staying within eBay rules, of course).

I can feel the pot-a-stirring.

Ben.