NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-18-2017, 09:52 AM

Default Vintage ?s

I have a small budget, so I am looking for advice.

I have no vintage cards. What do you recommend I collect?

Sets?
Singles?
Other things?

Just looking for feedback.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Collect what you like and what is within your budget. In order to know what you like you should read and research the cards and the other aspects of collecting, as you are doing. Have fun and don't try to go too fast. It is a marathon and not a sprint. Happy collecting....
Old 01-18-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Collect what you like and what is within your budget. In order to know what you like you should read and research the cards and the other aspects of collecting, as you are doing. Have fun and don't try to go too fast. It is a marathon and not a sprint. Happy collecting....
I like building sets, so I might go that route.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:31 AM
N
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedWithSports View Post
I like building sets, so I might go that route.
That's awesome! It depends if you like to build up over time, or like cherry picking a few select cards. I typically go the latter route--when I started collecting T206's back in April, my goal was to pick out a few cards that I liked and go from there. However, I caught the T206 "bug" and haven't been able to stop! So long as you collect what you like and go after players/sets you enjoy, I think collecting will be an awesome experience for you.
Cheers!
NJ

Pictured: my first T206 Southern Leaguer. This guy brought me into T206 portrait collecting. I love the pink!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carlos.jpg (23.9 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by njdunkin1; 01-18-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:42 AM

Welcome - and if you are an Indians and Lions fan, it would be fairly inexpensive to get one player for each of those teams in Topps and Bowman for both going back to 1948, and then baseball sets back as far as T205/206. It's a good way to experience both the history of those teams and the sets themselves. Then you could pick a couple of sets that you like to build from there.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:53 AM
Todd Jenkins

Default Player collector

Welcome - I am a player collector, which for me simply means I collect my favorite player. When I become satisfied with that player I move on to another player. When I say satisfied, I created self perimeters for collecting each player because it is impossible to collect every card of every player. For example, I started out telling myself I was going to collect every Topps Harmon Killebrew during the years he played (1955-1976). When I got done with that I moved towards the same thing but graded 5 of better. When I felt good about it I moved to another player such as Hank Aaron and did the same thing. So I kinda collect a bunch of different players and move through the stages. I may include that I want a Refractor, Auto and GU of each also. Mainly come up with a process that fits what you like.

[https://www.flickr.com/photos/187700522@N03/

Recent positve trades with: Brian Van Horn, frank bmd, nkesterke09, ajg, esehombre, mrmantlecollector, KC Doughboy, gregr2,bn2cardz, sycks22

Last edited by tjenkins; 01-18-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjenkins View Post
Welcome - I am a player collector, which for me simply means I collect my favorite player. When I become satisfied with that player I move on to another player. When I say satisfied, I created self perimeters for collecting each player because it is impossible to collect every card of every player. For example, I started out telling myself I was going to collect every Topps Harmon Killebrew during the years he played (1955-1976). When I got done with that I moved towards the same thing but graded 5 of better. When I felt good about it I moved to another player such as Hank Aaron and did the same thing. So I kinda collect a bunch of different players and move through the stages. I may include that I want a Refractor, Auto and GU of each also. Mainly come up with a process that fits what you like.
I PC Grady Sizemore, and have over 550 unique cards, so I know what you mean. He is my favorite player ever, so it makes it fun. Thans!
Old 01-18-2017, 11:24 AM

My strong recommendation for a collector who is starting out is to learn what is available and then collect what makes you happiest. That may mean that you have a particular focus -- on a player, a team, an era, a manufacturer, a certain set. Or it may mean that you have no specific focus and simply collect what appeals to you at the moment. I'd guess that most collectors are a mix -- with some areas of focus and also just picking up other cool stuff as it becomes available. We all have our favorites, but what's important is what you like and what you develop a liking for over time.

Of course, if your primary goal is to obtain cards (or other memorabilia) in order to sell them for a profit, then knowing what others want and having a sense for what will maintain value and perhaps increase in value over time becomes important. Learning all of that will likely come easier to you if you at least initially approach the hobby as a collector at first and then get into selling cards once you have a better sense of the cards themselves and the market for them. But, by no means should you feel like you need to buy cards with future value and sales potential in mind. It's entirely up to you as to what you collect and why.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
My strong recommendation for a collector who is starting out is to learn what is available and then collect what makes you happiest. That may mean that you have a particular focus -- on a player, a team, an era, a manufacturer, a certain set. Or it may mean that you have no specific focus and simply collect what appeals to you at the moment. I'd guess that most collectors are a mix -- with some areas of focus and also just picking up other cool stuff as it becomes available. We all have our favorites, but what's important is what you like and what you develop a liking for over time.

Of course, if your primary goal is to obtain cards (or other memorabilia) in order to sell them for a profit, then knowing what others want and having a sense for what will maintain value and perhaps increase in value over time becomes important. Learning all of that will likely come easier to you if you at least initially approach the hobby as a collector at first and then get into selling cards once you have a better sense of the cards themselves and the market for them. But, by no means should you feel like you need to buy cards with future value and sales potential in mind. It's entirely up to you as to what you collect and why.
Thanks! I collect for enjoyment, not to make a profit. Sometimes I will sell cards so I can afford one I want more, but this is something I do for fun, not a profit.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:00 PM
Bill Avery

You should check out http://www.oldcardboard.com if you haven't already. The site has a lot of information on a lot of different sets with good pictures for most of them. It was my second stop for finding information on cards after Net54. Good luck and have fun.