NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-13-2017, 06:21 PM
Travis K

Default Dumb question, but I have to ask....(1933 Goudey Ruth)

First of all, I don't claim to be an expert on pre-war cards, which is why I'm posting this in the first place. I'm 99.9% sure this '33 Goudey Ruth is fake, but that .1% doubt is enough for me to post this anyway.

Can the forum let me know if you think this is fake? More importantly, I'd love to hear WHY you think it's fake for my own education.

Thanks for your replies! And sorry I don't have a better picture. It was sent to me and this is the best I have to work with right now.
Travis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender1.jpg (47.0 KB, 517 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender2.jpg (46.8 KB, 510 views)
Old 01-13-2017, 06:35 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemdawg View Post
First of all, I don't claim to be an expert on pre-war cards, which is why I'm posting this in the first place. I'm 99.9% sure this '33 Goudey Ruth is fake, but that .1% doubt is enough for me to post this anyway.

Can the forum let me know if you think this is fake? More importantly, I'd love to hear WHY you think it's fake for my own education.

Thanks for your replies! And sorry I don't have a better picture. It was sent to me and this is the best I have to work with right now.
Travis
I don't think I have ever seen one that nicely centered and with that sharp of corners. Does that answer your question? Unless this is a set up and and you are showing me a "9" (if there is one) then my first statement should tell you what you want to know. I am sure there are other "tells" but the first thing I look for is absolutely perfect centering. If it has that then there is a 99% chance it's not real, from my experiences. Also the lithography just looks off, but that is a bit harder to quantify than the perfect centering and pinpoint corners.

Last edited by Leon; 01-13-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:49 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Im not an expert but looks fake to me, besides the sharpe corners those eyes and teeth arent right imo
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 01-13-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:55 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

No bleedthrough on the back, which happens on a lot of Goudeys due to their stock. You have the card in hand. Does it feel like a modern baseball card?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:10 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

The color is the first thing that looks off to me .

It looks like a photo copy .

I kinda feel like the dimensions look off the boarder looks weird .
Old 01-13-2017, 07:12 PM
Travis K

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
No bleedthrough on the back, which happens on a lot of Goudeys due to their stock. You have the card in hand. Does it feel like a modern baseball card?
I looked at the bleedthrough too from the picture. I see it on the bottom but not on the rest of the card. I don't have the card in hand yet. I hope to tomorrow.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:34 PM

Actually that it DOES seem to have bleed through (or wet sheet transfer) seems like the best thing in its favor. It looks (to me) like there's a dim red bar and visible boarders on the back. But really the biggest tell, to me, is that it's a mint condition 33 Goudey Ruth. I mean, come on.

And the centering certainly is suspicious.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:13 PM
Bry@n

Not a Goudey expert, but it looks real to me. It also looks trimmed (wavy right border with a bulge at the hands, bottom and top don't look quite straight). It also looks like the top right edge (from the back) has a little damage. Tough to tell from these pics though.

Last edited by Jobu; 01-13-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:18 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default ruth

Its..... GOOD !
Old 01-13-2017, 10:46 PM
Travis K

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman62 View Post
Its..... GOOD !
Do you really think so?
Old 01-14-2017, 01:40 AM
Rocky Rockwell

Card stock looks thin and fake. sorry........
Old 01-14-2017, 04:33 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

The back is really close, but the front just looks off and the borders look big. Without a better scan I find it questionable.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:34 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I agree with Leon:

The centering and corners look far too perfect.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 01-14-2017, 07:10 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Fake

First of all, never buy a $10k card after looking at a shadowy cell phone photo. If the seller really wants top dollar from this card he will provide some decent scans, and he will spend a few bucks to have it graded.

One of the things that I look for on Goudeys is the logo's on the front and back. On an original Goudey the circle and the printing within the circle will be very precise. On many of the fakes, the thickness of the ink on the circle will vary and the printing within the logo will be grainy. The one that I am showing is real, but has a little water damage.

Also, on your card, the front of the card appears to be glossy and the paperstock appears to be modern. You might want to try a black light on the card if you are able to see it in person.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goudey back.jpg (4.7 KB, 282 views)

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:19 AM
D@le Irv*n

I nothing about these cards but is it normal to have a big space between "Goudey Gum Company" and "Boston" like this card shows?

I know my eyes aren't the greatest, but it looks like something has been erased in that space?
Old 01-14-2017, 08:48 AM
Steve A

I have the same reprint, it is really well made. An ebay seller slipped it in with some cards that I bought. Mine is beat up a bit, crease with rounded corners. It passes all of the usual quick tests including bleed-though. The paper stock isn't quite right however and under a loupe you do not see the "dot matrix" print pattern front with solid ink in the back font.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:08 AM
Travis K

And this is why I love this site so much....

Thanks for everyone's input here. I definitely learned something!
Old 01-18-2017, 02:17 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Many I see are beat up too. They can sometimes be hard to authenticate especially over the net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_a View Post
I have the same reprint, it is really well made. An ebay seller slipped it in with some cards that I bought. Mine is beat up a bit, crease with rounded corners. It passes all of the usual quick tests including bleed-though. The paper stock isn't quite right however and under a loupe you do not see the "dot matrix" print pattern front with solid ink in the back font.