NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-21-2015, 08:21 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default clearly not Bray ACC

but seller refuses to listen to logic. I'd exercise caution.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371351446322...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 06-21-2015, 10:55 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Agree with Henry
Old 06-21-2015, 10:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
Agree with Henry
why?
Old 06-21-2015, 01:30 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Since my first 2 offers weren't accepted, (Mr. Lowe is probably at church), I went ahead and hit the BIN.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:49 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default wow

interesting! I don't believe it's his because on the final page (would be a strange place anyway to "sign" one's own book) the name Burdick was crossed out and the name C Bray was blue penciled(?) in - the reason I believe was just to note the change of the publisher to Bray. I could easily be wrong as only my wife is ever right about anything. It just gave me pause.
You are more familiar with this type of thing - imagine you might even have some things written and/or signed by Bray. I actually never looked closely at the content or specifics of the notations that were made so maybe a clue to the puzzle was in there? In any event - looking forward to hearing why you think it's good. Perhaps I gave up too early. Wouldn't be the first time and I hope YOU turn out to be right. Would be a big score in my mind - something I'd value well in excess of the asking price. I have your old 1939 acc and some other things - but paper linked to Bray or Burdick in their own hand or their own notes/acc's would be a pinnacle type of item.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:10 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
interesting! I don't believe it's his because on the final page (would be a strange place anyway to "sign" one's own book) the name Burdick was crossed out and the name C Bray was blue penciled(?) in - the reason I believe was just to note the change of the publisher to Bray. I could easily be wrong as only my wife is ever right about anything. It just gave me pause.
You are more familiar with this type of thing - imagine you might even have some things written and/or signed by Bray. I actually never looked closely at the content or specifics of the notations that were made so maybe a clue to the puzzle was in there? In any event - looking forward to hearing why you think it's good. Perhaps I gave up too early. Wouldn't be the first time and I hope YOU turn out to be right. Would be a big score in my mind - something I'd value well in excess of the asking price. I have your old 1939 acc and some other things - but paper linked to Bray or Burdick in their own hand or their own notes/acc's would be a pinnacle type of item.
The seller was Walt Corson's, who passed away several years ago, best friend, Dr. James Lowe. Dr. Lowe is around 88 yrs young and is to Postcard collecting what Burdick is to card collecting. They just don't get any more esteemed than Dr. James Lowe....His son is a member here, Jeffrompa, and I am proud to say I have spoken at length with Dr. Lowe a few times. He is what I consider to be one of the "Old Guard". Most likely Dr. Lowe knew Charles Bray and many other old timer collectors.

Here is a blurb-

(Founded 1960 by Walter E. Corson), an International Society for Postcard Collectors and Dealers, directed by Dr. James Lewis Lowe since January 1966. Dr. Lowe and his staff published periodical journal from 1966 to 1993 containing articles about postcards, adverts, and postcard mail auctions. The periodical has been suspended but auctions continue through Ebay with the Ebay identification POST*CARD. A few of the book titles sold by the society are: 1) Back Issues of DELTIOLOGY, 2) Back issues of CLASSIC POSTCARDS, 3) Burdick, PIONEER POSTCARDS, 4) Corson/Lowe, POSTCARD PUBLISHERS' TRADEMARKS, 5) Holt, TILL THE BOYS COME HOME (WW1 postcards), 6) Lowe, LINCOLN POSTCARD CATALOG, 7) Lowe, WALDEN'S POST CARD ENTHUSIAST REVISITED, 8) Lowe, WASHINGTON POSTCARD CATALOG, 9) Lowe/Papell, DETROIT PUBLISHING COMPANY COLLECTORS' GUIDE, and other titles dealing with picture postcard history and collecting.
E-mail: classicpostcards@gmail.com for full information.

Here is the sellers personal copy I got around 10 yrs ago. And you can't really tell from this scan, but the previous owners names and address were neatly drawn over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1946acc.jpg (75.3 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg 1946acc2.jpg (77.3 KB, 149 views)
Old 06-21-2015, 03:15 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default not getting the connection

to the offered ACC? Is the seller saying he got the book from Bray or is it something else? Sorry to be so dense but I re-read the last post twice :-) When I asked him about it - the response was unclear.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:19 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default here it am

still trying to understand why the price and publisher would be corrected to whatever was current by Bray himself. Perhaps it went to someone else after Bray and they made those changes?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTYxWDE2MDA=/z/sp0AAOSwsLtVfMKc/$_57.JPG?rt=nc
Old 06-21-2015, 03:26 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default another thought

would be that unless Bray was illiterate - the "printing" of one's name doesn't make for a signature. That said - it still would be an important item if it could be proven it belonged to Bray and the notations were in his hand. Hoping you have more of an answer as I certainly respect your thoughts and opinions - at times perhaps more than my own.....
Old 06-21-2015, 03:33 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
would be that unless Bray was illiterate - the "printing" of one's name doesn't make for a signature. That said - it still would be an important item if it could be proven it belonged to Bray and the notations were in his hand. Hoping you have more of an answer as I certainly respect your thoughts and opinions - at times perhaps more than my own.....
Hi Henry
I am pretty sure that is Bray's handwriting at the front of the ACC. I will be able to more confirm it in a few days. The exemplars online don't really show anything but cursive. I showed the copy I own now, Dr. Lowe's personal copy, to show that writing over a name or owner was probably common in some circles. That all being said I trust the seller. He is also the one I got the Burdick Letter from and Walt Corsons own hobby publications. And I realize just because the seller is a good guy and probably knew Bray, all of that doesn't make it a Bray copy. I bet I can probably get more info too.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:41 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default got ya

I probably should have followed up with the seller but he never gave me any concrete answers. I look forward to hearing more about the book (or even the good doctor :-)). Part of what makes this hobby for me is "the behind the scenes" stuff - same thing I enjoyed when working at the Metropolitan Opera.....
Old 06-21-2015, 03:47 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I probably should have followed up with the seller but he never gave me any concrete answers. I look forward to hearing more about the book (or even the good doctor :-)). Part of what makes this hobby for me is "the behind the scenes" stuff - same thing I enjoyed when working at the Metropolitan Opera.....
I PM'd his son, a board member for approx. 10 yrs, to see if he can get some more info from his dad.....LL

On a hobby pub related note, I got the shipping tracking from Hunt on the John Wagner publications, including 15-20 Burdick letters...and the weight for the 10 lots of pubs (only 1-2 small books the rest letters etc....) is 18 lbs. . I am going to have some fun next week....
Old 06-21-2015, 08:36 PM

Default Bray

I have a few short notes from Charlie Bray back in the 70's, have no idea what his printed name would look like, but his signature does not look like the name on the ACC. I'm afraid I don't have a scanner, but could supply photocopies. Henry knows me, so hopefully he'll vouch for me unless he still blames me for him losing his Indian poster. I knew Mr. Bray as I went to is house often when he had his auctions. One of the nicest persons I ever met. Hope this helps a little. John
Old 06-21-2015, 09:31 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default John!

Always a pleasure to speak to you in between like every 10 years We should stay in touch - hmoses2@comcast.net and I think you have my phone number should your email not function! Off topic - but never know if we'' speak - guy on non-sport side just picked up a cabinet sized premium? of the gilded lily (langtry) real photo mounted on a pear's soap card. Do you still collect them (if the right thing) along with your super baseball collection?
Old 06-21-2015, 09:49 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default ok so I went back

and looked at the listing again -I had really only concentrated on what the seller called a signature. Few other things seem a bit strange to me in going back. The owner only made a few notes (apparently inside the front cover) and they were in no way connected to the plethora of sets he would have been interested in. No notes were made on the inside pages (at least not from the scans) what would presumably be a working copy. Unless he was in love with himself and where he was in his life - someone else wrote that name on the last page. Whether he owned it or not at any point I would suppose is still up in the air. Unless the good doctor can attest that he received it from Bray - or the handwriting can be closely identified with his known handwriting - each step beyond that increases "the leap of faith". I have no problem believing what he might say - as long as there's clarity as to exactly what the contention is......
Old 06-21-2015, 10:00 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
and looked at the listing again -I had really only concentrated on what the seller called a signature. Few other things seem a bit strange to me in going back. The owner only made a few notes (apparently inside the front cover) and they were in no way connected to the plethora of sets he would have been interested in. No notes were made on the inside pages (at least not from the scans) what would presumably be a working copy. Unless he was in love with himself and where he was in his life - someone else wrote that name on the last page. Whether he owned it or not at any point I would suppose is still up in the air. Unless the good doctor can attest that he received it from Bray - or the handwriting can be closely identified with his known handwriting - each step beyond that increases "the leap of faith". I have no problem believing what he might say - as long as there's clarity as to exactly what the contention is......
Henry
I was actually going by that handwriting more than the possible signature on back but when I checked my exemplars that writing looked more like Barkers . I had coupled that with knowing Mr. Lowe and knowing he was friends with all of those guys back in the day. If it isn't a Bray copy, it's not that big of a deal to me. I always only go by what can be proven too.
At worst case I will have another copy of the 1946 ACC...... and to that I am quite clear.