NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-02-2007, 05:03 AM
Administrator

Default Collector's Association

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Is anyone interested in forming some kind of collector's association in order to clean up the hobby regarding trimmed cards being graded by the major grading companies?

I really feel like it's about time some of us take a stand and do something about this problem that threatens to destroy the hobby as we know it and make all of our collections worthless.

-Ryan

Old 02-02-2007, 05:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I don't think anyone is actually "against" this idea. The goals, enforcement, and formation seem to be stumbling blocks which are difficult to surpass. I still argue, regardless of what anyone says, the main problem is at the high end of the graded spectrum. I know of a few cards I own, which are vg'ish (raw) that have had creases worked on with a spoon. They are shiny looking....and I don't care....best regards

Old 02-02-2007, 05:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Ryan,

Send your name in to Barry who will organize a group of collectors committed to change.

Alteration affects all aspects of the hobby equally--particularly the ungraded and lower grade varea if you degine crease removal as alteration.

Ok Barry?

Jim

Old 02-02-2007, 05:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I am, if it means that all Collector's Association members would learn about cards so that they could identify and evaluate cards on their own, if members would always offer full refunds for cards sold as a transaction safeguard where card authenticity or condition was in doubt, if members would boycott all slabbing business, and if members would break their slabbed cards out returning them to the fresh air.

Yes, I'm in favor of such an Association. That would put an end to the current grading problems.

Frank.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:19 AM
Administrator

Barry,

In case why you wonder why this needs to be done off Net54 just bread Frank's post a couple of times.

Jim

Old 02-02-2007, 05:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Be sure to fry the breaded post before eating it.

-Ryan

Old 02-02-2007, 05:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Looks like we may have another long day here.

I like the concept of people being more aware of the bad things that go on in the hobby, and I am totally in favor of discussing them on a regular basis on the board, or whereever else it is appropriate. But it is clear that an organization isn't going to happen. And please don't count on me to form it; I'd be happy to lend my hobby knowledge, but forming organizations isn't one of my skills.

I hope this thread doen't turn into another bloodbath

Old 02-02-2007, 05:59 AM
Administrator

We were just going to have you take names Barry.

You want to give up on the Collectors Association?

Jim

Old 02-02-2007, 06:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

This forum already is a collector's association.

And better than most any that can be created... for the fact that opinions vary and a disagreements are voiced.

If we want to make a difference - I have a suggestion for the least intrusive / most effective way to do so:

The poll feature can be a powerful tool.
Every so often, lets have a HOBBY ISSUE poll.
The results of which can be forwarded to grading companies and auction houses.

If actual poll data is submitted as evidence - it puts pressure on organizations to be more vigilant and ethical.

In the end / the grading companies and to some extent the auction houses will be the most important piece in the puzzle with regard to any potential hobby cleanup. Giving them the evidence they need to shape their business practices is the best / quickest / easiest / most powerful way to help better this hobby.

jmho.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:15 AM
Administrator

I think Joe hit the nail on the head. We already have the attention of 1000+ avid and casual collectors who lurk and post on this board daily. We can bring up and deal with any issue concerning the hobby. We don't need total agreement, just participation.

So why can't we just agree that Net54 is the organization? We don't need bylaws or officers, just dedicated and knowledgable people. Does anybody disagree with this?

Old 02-02-2007, 06:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

That is fine but does not address the problems brought up in Ryan's opening post. How does this clean up the hobby regarding trimmed cards being graded by the major grading companies?

Old 02-02-2007, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Barry,

I do but nobody cares.

Good luck and thanks for your help in the past.

Jim

Old 02-02-2007, 06:21 AM
Administrator

I agree. If anyone doesn't think that this board is somewhat of a watchdog itself, just let an altered card be sold in a public format, without full disclosure. I would guess many decisions in the hobby are swayed due to public scrutiny from the Net54 Vintage Baseball Card Forum.....best regards

Old 02-02-2007, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Wesley,

It doesn't but tghe majority of Net 54 does not care.

If something is done it will have to be done by a concerned group of Net 54.

Jim

Old 02-02-2007, 06:22 AM
Administrator

and think of how powerful it would be if we emailed a grading company (with a link) and said:

83% of vintage card enthusiasts polled are concerned that grading companies are not careful enough in detecting doctored cards.

or to an auction house...

91% of vintage card enthusiasts polled are concerned about "bettering"(is that a word?) of cards by Auction Houses.

Something like that would carry a lot more weight than any opinion expressed by what could be perceived as an activist organization of like-minded individuals.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:23 AM
Administrator

The problem with Leon's answer is that there are altered cards being sold all the time in and out of holders and the number is growing.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean C

I'd be glad to assist in any ways that I can. seanchristian@yahoo.com

Old 02-02-2007, 06:26 AM
Administrator

I mainly trust SGC for my 3rd party grading...as well as most of this board. My guess is they catch about 99.x% of the issues....I am not sure we will ever get better than that...Not with humans anyway. I like this discussion much better than yesterdays discussions....Also, I really like Joe's answer(s) on this thread...

Old 02-02-2007, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Jim- I haven't given up or bailed out on anything.

How about if we just kick this idea around for one day and see what kind of responses we get? Let's see how board members feel about Net54 being a loose organization that has the same interests in mind that we discussed at the meeting. Do you think there is even one person on this board who likes buying an altered card, high grade or low, slabbed or unslabbed?

Let's just see where this goes. It's just one day. Thank you.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Leon,

Depends if you count crease removal as card alteration or nor. If you say removal of creases is an alteration then you are wrong. If you are just including trimming then probably so--I have a lot of confidence in Dave to catch trimming. Does not mean that there are not a fair amount of trimmed cards already in holders.

Jim

Old 02-02-2007, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

"Does anybody disagree with this?"

Yes.

Don't get me wrong - Net54 is a great message board. There's a lot of knowledge here, and a lot of fantastic people. The board is well-managed and it's a great place.

There's also a LOT of resistance to certain types of collectors, and a LOT of resistance to sharing certain types of information.

For the record, I voiced this opinion at the meeting, but have refrained from commenting in the meeting-related threads. My feeling is that some sort of hobby group is a great idea, but a group that acts as a police force or drafts a "code of ethics" will be dead before it starts. What would make us think that an unethical person would ever abide by a "code of ethics"? Or that some sort of hobby group could get an auction house or dealer (or collector, for that matter) to change his practices?

I felt that a hobby association should be a place that gathers information and makes it freely available to any collector - old and new alike - who needs it. Information on how to spot alterations in certain issues, information on people's perceptions of and experiences with auction houses, information that a "newbie" collector would want but also information that an experienced collector starting a new set would find useful.

Too often the answer to the question is "I've been collecting <insert set here> for 40 years, and I know how to spot an alteration. Don't ask me how, I just do. If you want to learn how, you need to go out and buy the cards - touch them, feel them, smell them, and get experience with them. Then you'll learn, just like I did."

What if you're a type card collector and you just want to buy an E107 HOFer?

There needs to be a resource in this hobby that accumulates the information and knowledge that's been assembled over years and years of collecting. Many of us are trying to solve puzzles with certain sets that have probably already been solved but have been lost in the history of the hobby because it was never documented or shared with others. Many of us have been curious about bidding in a given auction because they've heard whispers of improprieties, but can't seem to get anyone to go on the record with anything. Many of us are very experienced collectors who are very confident in our ability to detect altered cards - but still got a few wrong when Dave Forman passed around samples at the meeting in NYC last week.

Furthermore, Net54 is a great place, but it's a segment of the hobby. Prewar baseball cards. Who's the association for 1965 Topps? Who's the association for 2004 Upper Deck? Who's the association for boxing cards? Hockey cards? If you mention 1977 Topps here, and you're not an established member, you get hammered for not reading the board rules. If you want to find out what a 1921 Herpolsheimer is, you can search through the 54 posts but all the scans have been deleted so you can't see one.

If an association is going to happen, and really do something special for the hobby, it needs to address ALL the issues in the hobby, for the ENTIRE hobby - all sports, all years, graded and raw - recognize the legitimacy of each, respect the preferences of each individual collector, draw knowledge from people who are truly willing to share it, and then archive that knowledge in a searchable, intuitive way.

Just my two cents. Carry on.

-Al

Old 02-02-2007, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Al- that's a well thought out response, and a very ambitious agenda. Can we really form a group to accomplish all those things?

And if you do want to learn about the E107 set, the top E107 collectors participate on this board. It's all here.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chad

That makes perfect sense to me--education and access to information is usually the best cure. And the internet obviously makes a project like this doable. So, where do we go from here?

--Chad

Old 02-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Al,

That was an extremely thoughtful and on the money post.

Thanks for attending and adding your insights at the dinner.

Jim

Old 02-02-2007, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Dorskind

Al's comments were spot on.

Our view is that if the Association is to have any impact at all, it must be a great deal
more than a Knowledge Center. It must have teeth behind its actions.

If the Association could recruit 10,000 members nationally with annual dues of $100
per member, then it could accomplish a great deal.

It could lobby, along with other collectors associations, to pass legislation against
knowingly selling an altered or counterfit item.

It could recommend that its members use or not use certain grading companies

It could fine dealers who violated the rules---or at least regularly inform all of
ite members of the violations.

It could ban members who violated certain rules, and it even could hire investigtive
journalists to pursue the bad apples.

To form a powerful national association, we need to raise $100,000 to recruit members,
hire an attorney and form a committee to structure its objectives, rules and regulations.

We could attract members by packaging membership with a subscription to a service
that collectors care a great deal about- i.e. card prices

If the members of this Board are really serious about forming a powerful organization that
can truly influence the state of the hobby, then you can affect change.

Whilst, some may not like to hear it, it will take money to build the association and money
to operate it but a small fee of $100 or $200 a year will give both voice and piece of mind
to the thousands of collectors out there.

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

Old 02-02-2007, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Bruce, I agree and I would certainly pay that.

Lets see a show of hands on how many would theoretcally be willing to pay $100 for a powerful industry association(with details still to be worked out).

Jim

Old 02-02-2007, 07:25 AM
Administrator

I have no desire to join an association that's going to tell me what I can and can't do. I just want access to information and in turn I would gladly share whatever expertise and experience I might have. Anything more than that will get hopelessly bogged down. In my humble opinion of course. I like Al's gentler yet far reaching and powerful approach. Something like a Wikipedia for card collectors would be excellent.

--Chad

Old 02-02-2007, 07:28 AM
Administrator

There is nothing wrong with a membership fee. Most organizations do have them.

But to organize something as ambitious as just suggested, you will need professionals who know how to do it. How does one go about finding and paying such a group?

Old 02-02-2007, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Dorskind

Barry makes an important point.

Northing happens by accident.

A formal association must be well organized with clearly stated objectives,
financial resources, and leadership.

The best place to begin is to identify three or four Board members who
have played key roles in their own professional associations- i.e.
Accounting, Insurance, Wall Street or a special interest or collectibles
group.

They could prepare a brief outline on the necessary action steps.
It would be quite helpful if one or more of the founding members
was an attorney.

Once the basic steps have been established, we could create the platform
for the Association and then aggressively recruit members.

The purpose of the association is not to tell its members what to do,
who to use for card grading, or which dealers to use or not use, but
to collectively address the vital issues facing the hobby and to
speak with authority and influence because our association represents
10,000 or 100,000 voices not one.

If you want a kind, gentle association, then everyone can feel good and
nothing will change. Change only comes with power. Money and
success create power. A bunch of guys and gals talking about baseball
cards may be fun, but it will never enable all of you to accomplish
the objectives that you have delineated in your posts.

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

Old 02-02-2007, 07:48 AM
Administrator

feasibility

It would be nice to get a group together of 10,000 or more, organize great meetings, collect dues, etc.

but is that going to happen?

If we are talking philosophical - I can come up with a much better utopia than I previously suggested.

But if we are talking reality.... we already have a nice group of poeple here - organize the polls - word them correctly - and give auction houses and grading companies a resource to understand what they need to do to keep the customer happy.

I don't mean to discourage anyone...
but if anyone is serious about making a change - feasibility of particular suggestions is important, no?

edited to fix spelling and grammar... but I am sure I missed some more errors.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:50 AM
Administrator

"If you want a kind, gentle association, then everyone can feel good and
nothing will change. Change only comes with power. Money and
success create power. A bunch of guys and gals talking about baseball
cards may be fun, but it will never enable all of you to accomplish
the objectives that you have delineated in your posts."

I completely disagree with this. Knowledge and communication are a much more efficient use of power than money as well as more engaging and inclusive. We can agree to disagree, though.

--Chad

Old 02-02-2007, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

I've been saying this for months -- Net54 is an internet watchdog for pre-war cards and SGC does a great job of identifying impermissible alterations.

There is no need for any additional policing.

If you buy raw cards or cards not graded by a third-party grading company with a money-backed guarantee, you will always be assuming risk -- I don't care how many collectors you have as members of an association, or how many dealers or auction houses you sign up for the code of ethics.

By only purchasing cards graded by a third-party grading company with a money-backed guarantee you will lower the value of raw cards, which are at highest risk of alteration. If the only cards with value were those graded by a third-party grading company with a money-backed guarantee, then the card doctors would have less and less incentive to keep working on their cards.

Since we're talking about utopias -- here's mine:

If every pre-war baseball card were to be graded by SGC, with a money-backed guarantee, then there would be virtually no chance that doctored cards are being regularly circulated in the market. In the event someone found one, SGC would take it back at full value, and then slab the card as altered. Eventually, all collectors of pre-war cards would agree that there were no altered cards in the hobby.

But, if you continue to buy raw -- or through companies that do not have money-backed guarantees -- then you perpetuate the alterations and encourage the card doctors.

Period.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Either one would be a plus.

Bruce--noble aims--would be ideal if this could succeed but you are going to have to get a core group of collectors willing to devote a substantial amount of time and a good sized group willing to contribute at least $100--both big challenges.

Good luck--I am watching to see how many great vintage collectors are prepared to contribute $100--so far seems like Barry, me and you.

Leon--would you contribute $100 under the right circumstances and do you think your collecting buddies(forget what you called them) who collect like you do would?

Jim

Old 02-02-2007, 08:27 AM
Administrator

T206 Collector,

"If you continue to buy raw....then you perpetuate the alterations and encourage the card doctor"

We don't agree with everything but you hit the nail on the head here.

Jim

Old 02-02-2007, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Is Bruce Dorskind spearheading this collectors' association effort? Just wondering.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby Binder

Bruce and All,

There was mention of the association providing price data so I would assume that would be my calling. I am sure that we could get involved and maybe host such a thing or even incorporate it into our existing site.

Some ideas would be to approve all dealers and have them post a seal on all their eBay listing and booths at trade shows. Maybe offer a shipping discount to any other members who buy cards from them. Some type of incentive of savings.

Same would go with the grading companies I am sure we could work out something that the members can get better submission rates.

So then the association can offer benefits to it's members and police itself. Dealers will be held accountable for their actions. As well as being able to report any problems with buyers not paying. Etc...

Just a start but it would have potential all we have to do is get the ball rolling....

Old 02-02-2007, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Ryan, am I the only one that notices the tongue-in-cheek manner of your initial posting? Can't be.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

Food for thought, how hard could it be?

We, well YOU... Already surpass the knowledge possessed by those other companies;

Old 02-02-2007, 08:39 AM
Administrator

"Ryan, am I the only one that notices the tongue-in-cheek manner of your initial posting? Can't be."

I just think I burnt out all my smartassness on yesterday's thread and have decided today to at least attempt a bit of constructive endeavor. But maybe I'll have more energy after a good lunch.

--Chad

Old 02-02-2007, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Chad,

Some people never run out of that quality.

Jim

Old 02-02-2007, 08:43 AM
Administrator

...that the best way to combat the ills you are so concerned about is by endorsing a grading company that provides money-backed guarantees for altered cards. Ultimately, you cannot police the dealers and the auction houses -- you have to police the cards themselves, which is what third-party grading is all about. But, without a money-backed guarantee, then you are left with a useless piece of plastic with a crooked number on the label.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Jeff, Why do you think Ryan was not serious about saving this hobby?

Old 02-02-2007, 08:48 AM
Administrator

No you aren't....but I steered it in a positive manner, I think....

Old 02-02-2007, 08:49 AM
Administrator

T206(sorry--honestly I forgot your name)

I love Dave Forman and SGC. I also have 25,000 graded PSA cards.

Jim

Old 02-02-2007, 08:53 AM
Administrator

For the record, personally, I don't think the hobby needs to be saved. I am still willing to help if I can.

Jim- under the right association circumstances I would throw in $100 to join...

Old 02-02-2007, 08:53 AM
Administrator

But with all these threads the last couple of days, we haven't heard from Gil. Gil, where are you man?

--Chad

Old 02-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Leon,

Thanks for responding.

Jeff,

Would you donate $100 under the right circumstances(which would include me never mentioning my view on abortion again)?

Jim

Old 02-02-2007, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Your observation is not the only one.....

....."this problem that threatens to destroy the hobby as we know it".....

I'd like to know what "problem threatens to destroy this hobby" ?

And, who are "we" in this statement ?

There is really nothing wrong with the current BB card hobby and a good
many us enjoy all the aspects of collecting Sportscards. And, Forum's
such as Net54 only enhance the joy....most of us derive from this hobby.

TED Z

Old 02-02-2007, 09:17 AM
Administrator

I really need to work today but let me throw out a few thoughts:

Jeff, I caught Ryan's intent immediately, but like Leon I decided to turn it in a positive direction.

Some very lofty ideas have been proposed here and I am not sure they can be actualized. If some all- encompassing organization ever does get formed, I would pay my membership dues and participate as best I can. But I do not have the organizational skills to do it myself- you really need a professional group here- so Jim, with my apologies, I can't go that route. Somebody else will have to be the architect.

If it remains that all we have is the board and its group of collectors to monitor things, it may not be perfect but I think we can do a darn good job. When something unethical rears its ugly head, we have had quite a bit of clout in making it right.

If I were a betting man, I don't think this blanket organization will ever come to pass, because I don't think there is a consensus of what people really want. Everyone has a different solution of how to solve the problems of card altering, shilling, etc. Even I don't have a definitive answer.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Administrator

So what you need to do is cross those non-guaranteed cards over into guaranteed holders. The ones that won't cross can be sold to other PSA collectors -- there's plenty of them, and some say they will sell for more than SGC cards, so you should have no problem there. That way you can get your cards guaranteed and you won't have to worry about microtrimming anymore -- if SGC grades a microtrimmed card and you can prove it, they'll buy it back at full value.

If you love Dave Forman and SGC, I'd say it's about time you saw the light on this one. Seems a lot easier to me than trying to motive an entire hobby industry into getting its act together. Strict SGC collectors don't have the same concerns.