NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Default Avoiding stolen scans....protect your photos from right-click-copying.

Posted By: Jennifer

Hi all (again) -- this is a duplicate of my post in another thread. As an afterthought, I figured I'd copy everything from my last post & start a new thread, rather than have this get buried and missed by those who might want to use this in their own eBay listings.

Just within the last few days, we decided to start adding html code to all of our eBay listings which makes it IMPOSSIBLE for someone to right-click-save an eBay item's photo to their hard drive. The code works perfectly, but of course there may be a way to get around this little roadblock -- for the very determined scam artist -- but at least it forces them to work harder to steal photo scans.

We found this code at JavaScript Source -- the way to insert the code is simple -- in the item description section, click on "HTML mode", and at the very top of the description section, copy and paste the following string of html code. (We've found it easier to complete the item description in its entirety FIRST, then switch to HTML mode and insert the code).

<HEAD>
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1">
<!-- Original: Martin Webb (martin@irt.org) -->
<!-- This script and many more are available free online at -->
<!-- The JavaScript Source!! http://javascript.internet.com -->
<!-- Begin
function right(e) {
if (navigator.appName == 'Netscape' &&
(e.which == 3 || e.which == 2))
return false;
else if (navigator.appName == 'Microsoft Internet Explorer' &&
(event.button == 2 || event.button == 3)) {
alert("No right-clicking!");
return false;
}
return true;
}
document.onmousedown=right;
document.onmouseup=right;
if (document.layers) window.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
if (document.layers) window.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEUP);
window.onmousedown=right;
window.onmouseup=right;
// End -->
</script>
</HEAD>

Two things to point out -- you can change the message someone will receive in the pop up window when they try to right-click. (The code above reads "No right-clicking!" but you can obviously change it to whatever you want -- for example, "Get your #$*(#$ hands off my photo scan, loser.") Also, if you should happen to revise an item again, this html code will, for whatever reason, disappear altogether, and you'll have to remember to reinsert it before saving the listing again.

[Edited to revise thread title & clarify post]

Old 07-11-2006, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ray

Thanks a lot. I've been looking around for this for awhile. This'll help a lot. Thanks again, Ray

Old 07-11-2006, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: vertigojumps

Any screen capture software will do the trick for saving "protected" images.

Old 07-11-2006, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Thanks Jennifer.
tbob

Old 07-11-2006, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Ray & Bob, you're welcome --

In response to vertigo's post about screen capture programs...as I said before, an aggressive scam artist will find a way to steal what he's after, regardless of any safeguards that have been used. From what I understand about screen capture programs, they don't necessarily work on all websites (for instance, those sites using SSL). If someone used a screen capture program to steal a photo scan, they'd have to lift and remove the single photo from the rest of the webpage -- and I'd like to believe that the resultant cutting and pasting would be obvious. Maybe, maybe not. But it would definitely take a bit more time and effort than the right-click-save. (Hopefully, more time and effort than is worth it in their minds). eBay photo scan thieves are a generally lazy, low budget, hit & run group. Blocking the right-click-save function should be enough to deter most of them.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby

It's all good but whem it comes down to it they are going to be able to get the images. The only things that will put a second thought is to watermark them and even then if they are proficient in photoshop can easily remove it. Bottom line there is no way of stopping them if they choose to take an image and try to sell it on ebay.

If you have your collection in one of these photo buckets that everyone on this board seems to have I suggest you put just the image of the card and not the holder on your site because it is the holder with the grade that they want. And another recommendation is you can make your photo bucket only access by a password.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric B

I'm probably going to get flamed for asking, but why would I care if someone steals a scan of a card that I have just sold. And furthermore, why should I go through a lot of trouble to prevent it?

I assume they are listing a card they don't have to scam a buyer. But if they don't get the PSA 4 DiMaggio I just sold (as an example), won't they just "sell" a PSA 5 Spahn (as an example) that they found elsewhere?

Regards,

Not a troll Eric

Old 07-11-2006, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Eric,

Maybe when you end up being the person who has his money stolen, you will be able to answer that question yourself.

Your question is akin to asking "so long as they are not coming into my house, why should I bother reporting the robbery taking place next door?"

Old 07-11-2006, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ray

Bobby - That is sound advice when it comes to the photobucket thing. Before I add my cards to my photobucket, I "edit" them in Paint by blocking out the bar code and serial number. That way, when I'm perusing Ebay away from home (and my card room) I can look and see exactly what card I have, who it's graded by, and what the grade is, without having to resort to cropping it so only the card shows.

Josh - I agree whole-heartedly. If I knew my scan was involved with some Ebay jerk's scam, I'd feel pretty crappy.

Old 07-12-2006, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

I agree with Eric. Steal my scans away. Post them countless times on ebay. See if I care or even notice.

As long as I have the card in my possession, you can have as many xerox copies as you'd like. Especially if it is at no cost to me.

If someone would like to point out a cost-benefit analysis as to how Person A actually lost money because Person B stole one of Person A's scans and then attempted to sell a card Person B didn't have, I'd love to hear about it. The only feasible argument I can think of is some sort of dilution theory, but I would be very skeptical that it would have any practical impact. Also, if you were selling photos, I could see wanting to get some money for the scan. But otherwise, sheesh...

Old 07-12-2006, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

T206 -

Nobody is saying that person A has lost anything. The problem is that the people stealing your scans are using those scans to set up fake auctions on ebay and then stealing the "winner's" money. The losers are those who are the victims of the scam. If everyone took the attitude that it just doesnt matter because they still have their own cards, it wont be long before ebay is full of fake auctions and we all end up being victims. How would you feel if a high feedback seller decided to make one last killing on ebay by stealing scans of high dollar cards, including one that you needed, you bid big money on the card and then, after paying, find out that youve just bought yourself a photocopy.

I also agree that there is a difference between people who like to keep a "virtual" card collection of great cards and those who swipe scans for purposes of scamming others. This thread was started, I believe, in an attempt to stop the scammers.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

The more common fraud is in ANY industry, the smaller the pool of customers becomes.

Lower demand = lower pricing.

You, me and everyone else is indirectly affected by any fraud in the baseball card collectible business.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

for the purpose of having a library of them. There are TONS of ways to get around any type of javascript like the one at the top. I just went to one of Jen's most recently listed cards and right clicked. It said 'no right click here'. Keeps the unknowing out, but if I just moused over the scan, Internet Explorer gave me the little save to disk icon, I clicked on it and saved the scan. You also have issues with IE versus Firefox and other browsers. I've seen firefox work easier on saving pictures. Then, if all else fails, you can just do print screen, stick the picture into software as simple as powerpoint, crop it down and save it. The only REAL way to 'protect' your photos is to watermark them. Sadly, the thieves have many ways to pick them off. On Mike Wheat's website, he has some javascript that when you right click on an image that popped up, it causes the window to close automatically. But, if you mouse over, you can save the picture. Anyone that knows how to read .html can pretty easily figure out what directory you're saving a picture in and get at it another way too.......

Old 07-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Todd

Protecting your scans is pretty much like putting a lock on a briefcase. If somebody wants the thing badly enough, they'll just take it, and deal with the lock at their leisure. The idea of the lock/scan protection is to discourage the mischievous passer-by.

Putting up auctions based on stolen scans isn't exactly a viable long-term business model. It's for the lazy S*B who's looking to make a quick hit and move on.

Tom (and I'm sure many others), you have a fine, and on-going, reason for wanting to copy scans, so it's worth your while to figure out how to get around the protection. But the opportunist is just going to move on to something else that seems easy and quick.

Bill

Old 07-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: E. Angyal

if I cant copy the scan, I absolutely will not bid in an e-bay (or, for that matter, any other) auction. Too much potential for monkey business of a bad seller switching cards on me during the transaction - mostly applicable to ungraded items.

Eric

Old 07-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

I agree. I preferentially look for ungraded cards on ebay (although I'll buy graded too). Saving the scan is a must unless I know the seller by reputation or this board. Other than that, a scan is the only record I have of what I bought (I also print out a copy of the auction page even though the picture comes out black and white, so all info is retrievable, and keep it until I get the card and all is well.)

If I can't download the scan I pass. I'm not sure it makes me outright suspicious, but I just don't have time trying to mess around with it and the printout is not clear. I might try the Save-to-Disk trick next time just because that does sound quite easy, though.

Joann

Old 07-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

I didnt read all that everyone posted, but I know I can take any picture on the internet in 10 seconds.

I have this thing called "grab/capture/screen" it takes an exact picture of whatever is on the computer screen, then makes it a .jpg, which I run through Photoshop, crop/save for web/resize. and....... its an exact picture. I can cut out anything, even make a photo of a full eBay page (or this page)

(shrunk down for an example)

PS Photoshop can erase any watermark in a few seconds too.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Administrator

All I was endeavoring to do was share the html code to disable right-clicking -- I've been surprised at the varied responses to all this. No, it's not foolproof, but in my humble opinion, it's better than throwing up our hands in defeat, and not trying to deter scammers at all. Thanks for mentioning the mouse pointer/hover/save feature (aka the MS image toolbar). I had forgotten all about that -- but this feature can also be disabled altogether by adding an additional bit of html code:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="imagetoolbar" CONTENT="no">

Obviously, it's a matter of personal opinion as to whether or not it's worth the time and effort to attempt to protect our images (or whether it should be done at all).

Old 07-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby

Jennifer,

We encourage you on trying to help the community with some code but the fact is everything they have now is basically useless and can be gotten around by any person with basic computer knowledge. Bottom line is if they want the image they are going to get it. Until someone invents a better way to protect your images this is the reality.

Old 07-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Sigh....yes, we know, that's the sad reality. But that doesn't necessarily mean that a few simple roadblocks along the way won't deter at least SOME of the losers. Not all, but some. Really now...looking at it that way is akin to parking your car on the upper east side at 3am, unlocked and without the alarm engaged. We all know that if someone is determined, that car will be gone in minutes -- no matter what you've done to try to protect it. (Knowing that doesn't mean you give up and leave the keys in the ignition.) Anyhoo, I'm sorry this OT thread has gone on for so long, guys.

Old 07-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

Don't let the negativity get to you, I am absolutely appreciative of your desire to share your thoughts and 'pic.locks', and have duly copied and pasted the code you listed into my sample doc. for selling on ebay.
I agree completely that it will prevent some passing and ad hoc thievery, and am willing to be a piece of the puzzle that makes their world a little harder to screw with!

Kind regards
Daniel

Old 07-13-2006, 12:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: honus3415

The code disabling the right-click is a deterrent but is not a solution for protecting scan ownership.

There is a fairly easy way around the inconvenience of the code disabling the right-click by doing the following:

1) Go to the top of your Internet Explorer window, in which the desired picture is being displayed, to the windows bar listing "File Edit View Favorites Tools Help".

2) Click on "View"

3) In the list of choices under "View" click on "Source" - This will open a notepad window which includes all the code for the page you are viewing. (The internet address for all graphics/scans will be listed somewhere on this page.)

4) In the new notepad window detailing the page code, you can go to the top bar listing "File Edit Format View Help" and click on "Edit"

5) In the list of choices under "Edit" click on "Find..." - This will open a window asking "Find What" with a box. Usually pictures have an extension of "jpg or gif", enter one of these extensions and it will take you down through the page to all spots in the code where the entry occurs. (It may be a bit of a guessing game if you do not understand code.) If you copy the suspect code prior to your "search result find" backwards to and including the "http://www" and paste it in the "address" blank of an explorer window and hit "enter", this will bring up the picture associated with that code. If it is the desired picture you can do your right click and save the picture. If not, go back to your notepad window and use the "Find Next". Continue this process until you find the graphic you're after.

This may seem difficult at first for those unfamiliar with code but with some practice it becomes a very easy way around the annoying "right-click disabled" code. I always suspected those listings using the "right-click-disabled" code had something to hide such as "white on white" keyword spamming and in general just avoided any sellers using this listing tactic.

Editing your scan by printing text such as your name is the best way of protecting one's interest. This would be actually editing your picture and probably would not be easily removable by any software. But as with anything, where there is a will there is a way and the criminal mind never rests.

Good luck and happy copying.

Go Tigers

Old 07-13-2006, 08:48 AM
Administrator

...say what you want about deterring scam artists, but the purpose of my auctions on ebay is to sell cards. I have very little interest in also deterring scam artists, especially when those deterrences are (a) easily circumnavigable; and (b) may actually annoy the person who is bidding/buying my card, i.e., the potential customer that likes to keep a scan of the card on his desktop and study it until the time for the auction expires.

To borrow a phrase from my youth -- it is a NARC thing to do. And, nobody likes the NARC except the NARC's mommy.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Enright, Daniel

You are an absolute dill. As in, dill pickle. As in, full of briney seed and pungent vegetable, and not much else.
If you're purpose is to sabotage goodwill, you have scored mightily. Best you find more strollers to knock over, more graffiti to write, more wasted time to lord over.
I have a simple life story.
There are those who add to the river of good in their lives,
And those who add to the river of bad.
You get a choice, and every time you add to one - you swell the river and help force the course of life to flow more strongly and irrepressibly in that direction.
It won't be hard to tally up your additions.

T206collector, you wade in his waters.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I am not sure if your code does this but as a side effect to protecting images in a similar fashion I have been unable to open the sellers other items at times - in my mind it hurts the seller. I almost always check out the other items the seller is offering in another window and if I can't right click and open his other items in a new window or tab it reduces my interest. However, I am easily frustrated.

Adam B

Old 07-13-2006, 11:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: honus3415

Dude take a chill pill and save your Eastern philosophy on life for the shiny card collectors. There's nobody here but the good guys. The bad guys aren't wasting their time on a board like this.

My post was a tip for those collectors on this board who like to protect themselves by keeping scans of auctions they win, I do. Before I found this work around, I was a victim of the old scan switcheroo by one of those "right-click-disabled" sellers. So if trying to help someone avoid that same fate is wrong then so be it.

Like I said in my previous post, the best way to protect your scans is to actually edit the scan with printed text such as your name across the card. Is this fool proof....no, but someone would actually have to fill in the text with the background that is covered up by it, probably not something a scan thief is going to take time to do.

Simple life rule
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Old 07-14-2006, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Oh, nevermind. Honus said everything that needs to be said.