NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-07-2006, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Default Stolen eBay Scans

Posted By: Jerry

I have an eBay listing for a '48-'49 Leaf DiMaggio SGC 40 ending this Sunday night...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&item=180003705089&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Today, a listing appeard with stolen scans of my card from a "new" seller with zero feedback...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130004789027&fromMakeTrack=true

I have updated my listing, alering potential bidders to this, but my question is, how may I report this activity to eBay? Additionally, are there any tips on how to stop this guy (or his friends) from sabatoge on my own auction (i.e. winning my lot, not paying, and then leaving negative feedback for me)?

Thanks for your help...

Jerry

Old 07-07-2006, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Doug

Hello there. Sorry to hear about the stolen scans. I think you're best served by some type of watermark on the image. "Property of (user name)" or something similar. If you can't figure out the faded watermark thing, just use a box that you can type in, and write on the scan itself in paint or something. That's my suggestion.

Doug

Old 07-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Turner Engle

Jerry,

If you look at his other items he is selling, the Ted Williams is also a stolen scans as well.

I'm pretty sure he'll be done with Ebay.

Look at these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1954-TOPPS-128-HANK-AARON-HOF-ROOKIE-NMT-NMMT_W0QQitemZ150005752151QQihZ005QQcategoryZ60482 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nice-Ex-NM-Hank-Aaron-Rookie-Card-Beautiful-card_W0QQitemZ130004535187QQihZ003QQcategoryZ73435 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohos ting>

Old 07-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Administrator

We have proof that he steals scans... thanks for the Williams post... how do I report him to eBay? I can't seem to locate a link to do that.

Next time, I will definitely write something on the photo so this can't happen!

Old 07-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Amazing! In a matter of a few hours the card was miraculously cracked out of its SGC 40 case and encapsulated in a PSA 4 case. Man, with a quick upgrading service like that, we should all switch to PSA! Basically, he stole someone else's scan.

Old 07-07-2006, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I think this is the same person who got NARU'd a few days ago, for stealing scans from Marty's cards.

Old 07-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Marty P alerted eBay about his stolen scans, & the seller got NARU's pretty fast. Maybe Marty can let us know how he contacted eBay. I think it's the same seller.

Old 07-07-2006, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Dawson

I just alerted ebay to his stolen T205 Cobb scan.

Steve

Old 07-07-2006, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Now, I agree the psa 4 is a fake/stolen scan. However, and this may be a stupid question - but Jerry, what makes you think that is your card? The borders are different sizes and markings are completely different.

Old 07-07-2006, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

I think the scan was originally of a different Leaf DiMaggio card and then the scam artist switched pictures once the real owner (Jerry) E mailed him. The scammer also stole scans of the T205 Cobb and the 1949 Leaf Stan Musial.

If you want to have some fun, ask the scammer to put all three cards on the brown table he used for his other auctions and send you a picture of all three together.

Also, ask the scammer to send you a CLEAR picture of the red background T206. My guess is he owns that card but it is a reprint.

David

Old 07-07-2006, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Thanks for explaining - I apparently joined the fun too late.

Old 07-08-2006, 12:11 AM
Administrator

Yes, he switched from my SGC 40 DiMaggio scan to a PSA 4 scan after I wrote him, politely asking to end his auction. He said that he asked his son to list the cards and then explained that instead of scanning them, his "lazy" son just copied others' photos. It's quite obvious he's simply grabbing scans where ever he can.

I like the idea of taking a photo of all of them together. That's an impossible task! A friend of mine wrote and offered him $1500 cash for the DiMaggio (my scan) if he could pick it up in person. Now, if anyone actually had an SGC 40 on hand, they'd jump for $1500. This guy simply said that it's his "policy" that a check has to clear before my friend could pick it up. Makes absolutely no sense at all, besides the fact that a person with zero feedback even has a policy!!!

Old 07-08-2006, 12:18 AM
Administrator

I just checked his auction again, and suprise, a third card has appeared!!! The SGC 40 DiMaggio, turned PSA 4, has now taken the form of an ungraded, beat-to-hell DiMag. I'm now finding this quite entertaining!

Old 07-08-2006, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

Here is the link to report this crap.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/vero-image-text-theft.html

I swear ebay burries things it hard to report stuff.

I have had this problem in the past and once reported ebay took pretty quick action and removed the listing.

James Gallo

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 07-11-2006, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jennifer

Hello all -- haven't checked the board in a LONG time, but this thread in particular caught my eye. Just within the last few days, we decided to start adding html code to all of our eBay listings which makes it impossible for someone to right-click-save the listing photos. There may be a way to get around this little roadblock -- for the very determined scam artist -- but at least it forces them to work harder to steal photo scans.

We found this code at JavaScript Source -- the way to insert the code is simple -- in the item description section, click on "HTML mode", and at the very top of the description section, copy and paste the following string of html code. (We've found it easier to complete the item description in its entirety FIRST, then switch to HTML mode and insert the code).

<HEAD>
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1">
<!-- Original: Martin Webb (martin@irt.org) -->
<!-- This script and many more are available free online at -->
<!-- The JavaScript Source!! http://javascript.internet.com -->
<!-- Begin
function right(e) {
if (navigator.appName == 'Netscape' &&
(e.which == 3 || e.which == 2))
return false;
else if (navigator.appName == 'Microsoft Internet Explorer' &&
(event.button == 2 || event.button == 3)) {
alert("No right-clicking!");
return false;
}
return true;
}
document.onmousedown=right;
document.onmouseup=right;
if (document.layers) window.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
if (document.layers) window.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEUP);
window.onmousedown=right;
window.onmouseup=right;
// End -->
</script>
</HEAD>

Two things to point out -- you can change the message someone will receive in the pop up window when they try to right-click. (The code above reads "No right-clicking!" but you can obviously change it to whatever you want -- for example, "Get your #$*(#$ hands off my photo scan, loser.") Also, if you should happen to revise an item again, this html code will, for whatever reason, disappear altogether, and you'll have to remember to reinsert it before saving the listing again.