NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-27-2018, 07:59 AM

Default Odd Packaging -- anyone ever seen this in an SGC Flip

I have never seen an SGC card wrapped like this. Anyone have a card like this? When did SGC start doing this? Also, looks undergraded, no? I am interested in this card, but find the wrapping odd. Thanks in advance

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1914-Cracke...19.m1438.l2649
Old 01-27-2018, 08:21 AM
T0NY @

Hi Ryan. Sgc has been inserting a baggie for some time now on various issues although mainly on larger cabinets such as T3's and T4's.

Since 1914 Cracker Jacks are paper thin they've inserted the baggie here so it doesn't slip under the gasket which we've all seen happen before with many Sgc graded cards.

The black gasket design that Sgc uses is actually quite horrible in my opinion which should have been corrected long ago since the slippage that I mention above happens far to often and cards are not secured properly in their holder.

Last edited by 3-2-count; 01-27-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:44 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

While I have never seen this before I don’t own many sgc graded cards.

But that pwcc sticker reminds of the movie Tommy boy with Chris farly. If you want me to take a Dimp in a box and mark it guaranteed I will I have a few minutes.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:10 AM

Thanks Tony, that is good to know. I look at CJs often and will buy SGC cards all day long, and I had never seen this (admittedly, I dont look at cabinets much). Personally, I dont like the plastic -- makes the card look cheap and harder to see. But, good to know that this has become standard practice with them and there is not something odd or unique about this one that caused them to put this extra cover over it.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:20 AM
Steven

Beautiful card...whats the big deal though, not even a HOFer?
Old 01-27-2018, 09:30 AM
T0NY @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Thanks Tony, that is good to know. I look at CJs often and will buy SGC cards all day long, and I had never seen this (admittedly, I dont look at cabinets much). Personally, I dont like the plastic -- makes the card look cheap and harder to see. But, good to know that this has become standard practice with them and there is not something odd or unique about this one that caused them to put this extra cover over it.
Just to clarify, Sgc does not insert the baggie into all encapsulations as standard practice. And that goes for all Cracker Jacks submitted as well.

It's very possible that whoever submitted the CJ Jax to Sgc requested that the baggie be used for the exact reasons mentioned. Just a guess.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:57 AM
James

as far as the grading goes, it certainly presents much better than a typical 1.5 but on a technical basis the assigned grade could be accurate if what looks like a typical crease extending from the left border of the card is something greater, like a heavy crease or surface tear of the cardboard stock. it's difficult to tell given the scan from pwcc. regardless, given the eye appeal it will probably sell for around what an average looking sgc 3 would sell for.

Last edited by griffon512; 01-27-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:05 AM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon512 View Post
as far as the grading goes, it certainly presents much better than a typical 1.5 but on a technical basis the assigned grade could be accurate if what looks like a typical crease extending from the left border of the card is something greater, like a heavy crease or surface tear of the cardboard stock. it's difficult to tell given the scan from pwcc. regardless, given the eye appeal it will probably sell for around what an average looking sgc 3 would sell for.
It was removed from an album and still has residue on the back.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:00 AM
Eric
Eric

All other logic is appropriately discarded once it is designated PWCC high end.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:07 AM
Anson

Looks like a fair amount of paper loss on the back, unless I'm getting glare off of the baggie. Certainly presents nicely for the grade. But, what else would you expect for "high end".

Not sure why, but I always picture a cat holding its butt in the air when someone pets it..high end. Now if it were pack fresh?????
Old 01-27-2018, 11:07 AM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
It was removed from an album and still has residue on the back.
i don't see any signs of album removal and residue, but maybe you have a better eye than me. looks like some remnant caramel staining that may have been partially removed in the past.

i just read the pwcc description and it reinforced what i originally wrote: that what looks like a typical crease in the scan is an actual tear. any tear should not get higher than a sgc 1.5. true of paper loss as well. it will still get the final price of a higher grade card given eye appeal.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:27 AM
Steven

Quote:
i don't see any signs of album removal and residue, but maybe you have a better eye than me. looks like some remnant caramel staining that may have been partially removed in the past.

i just read the pwcc description and it reinforced what i originally wrote: that what looks like a typical crease in the scan is an actual tear. any tear should not get higher than a sgc 1.5. true of paper loss as well. it will still get the final price of a higher grade card given eye appeal.
If you look close at the top of the back there is a light "shadow" or area. The tear seems to starts where the residue ends and I am guessing happened during removal. That area I am referring to does not look like typical caramel to due to its geometry and based on the presence of the darker staining.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:22 PM
Rich

Beautiful card - horrible looking baggy in the holder. I am not sure I could deal with it staying in that holder for very long.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:05 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
In their description PWCC clearly mentions that it is a tear on the left side near the top about 1/2" in length
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-27-2018, 04:00 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
While I have never seen this before I don’t own many sgc graded cards.

But that pwcc sticker reminds of the movie Tommy boy with Chris farly. If you want me to take a Dimp in a box and mark it guaranteed I will I have a few minutes.
what's a "Dimp"?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-27-2018, 04:04 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
what's a "Dimp"?
I think it's similar to a shat.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:46 PM

Anyway, it's at $15.6k right now with 9 days left. it's got a rip in it and it's wrapped in an ugly card condom- but pwcc slaps "certified high end" on it and they come running.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:58 PM
A.J. Johnson

It's a pretty nice rip upper left. Here's same card sold at LOTG back in 3/29/15 for $15,600
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Webp.net-resizeimage (40).jpg (54.6 KB, 187 views)
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time

Last edited by ajjohnsonsoxfan; 01-27-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:02 PM
Justin

I don't care for the baggies either. I've broken a few out, but still have some. I've only submitted cards to SGC for grading once and these Piedmont Art Stamps were in that group. I didn't ask for them to get baggied. I assume they did it because they are so thin.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 01-27-2018, 06:24 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

1. People don’t like when thin items slide under the gasket and complain that SGC should fix the problem.

2. People like the way the SGC “gasket” frames the card and makes the colors “pop”.

3. SGC then puts thinner items in a transparent sleeve to prevent the cards from sliding under he gasket.

4. People don’t like the transparent sleeve, that keeps the card from sliding under the “gasket”.

5. SGC removes the sleeve and thin cards are then framed and their colors pop
Until the card slides under the gasket again.

6. Return to #1 and repeat as needed.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:19 PM
qualitycards

Old 01-28-2018, 12:35 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Anyway, it's at $15.6k right now with 9 days left. it's got a rip in it and it's wrapped in an ugly card condom- but pwcc slaps "certified high end" on it and they come running.
Good one.

Seems like a stretch to label it a "High End 1". Kinda like a beautiful toad. Opposite of an ugly bikini model.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:26 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH3 View Post
I think it's similar to a shat.
You are correct in your assement a dimp is a spelling error of Dump and is also known as a shat! Lol
Old 01-28-2018, 10:11 AM
Paul

Read the back of the Certified High End certificate. It’s nice to have someone willing to tell me whether a card has visual appeal beyond the technical grade.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 01-28-2018, 10:34 AM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-2-count View Post
Hi Ryan. Sgc has been inserting a baggie for some time now on various issues although mainly on larger cabinets such as T3's and T4's.

Since 1914 Cracker Jacks are paper thin they've inserted the baggie here so it doesn't slip under the gasket which we've all seen happen before with many Sgc graded cards.

The black gasket design that Sgc uses is actually quite horrible in my opinion which should have been corrected long ago since the slippage that I mention above happens far to often and cards are not secured properly in their holder.

Its safe to say that SGC practices safe grading
Old 01-28-2018, 11:08 AM
T0NY @

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Its safe to say that SGC practices safe grading
Unless you take into consideration of course one can open their slabs with nothing more than a couple strong finger nails.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:12 PM
Jeff Lar.son

The sticker actually lists PSA as the grader. Oops.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:18 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Almost 20k now with 8 days left
Old 01-28-2018, 06:02 PM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
Almost 20k now with 8 days left
And if auctioned anywhere else, would not be nearly where it is. Like them or don’t like them, truth is they get good hammer prices on cards like this!
Old 01-28-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
And if auctioned anywhere else, would not be nearly where it is. Like them or don’t like them, truth is they get good hammer prices on cards like this!
The picture is terrible - it's real tough to see the rip, which is large when you look at scans from previous auction. And, as someone pointed out, their certification refers to a PSA graded card; obviously they put the wrong certification pic, but it highlights the absurdity of their whole certification. But I must agree, with many cards they bring out the bids and get great prices, and whoever wins this card has certifiably overpaid!
Old 01-28-2018, 07:34 PM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
The picture is terrible - it's real tough to see the rip, which is large when you look at scans from previous auction. And, as someone pointed out, their certification refers to a PSA graded card; obviously they put the wrong certification pic, but it highlights the absurdity of their whole certification. But I must agree, with many cards they bring out the bids and get great prices, and whoever wins this card has certifiably overpaid!
Don’t take my post wrong. I was not supporting or condemning the card or PWCC and yes it is remarkable how much different the two scans make the card appear. Wow. For that kind of money the tear is a really really big deal. And some issues with the listing for sure.