NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-21-2016, 07:56 PM
Mike Kaminski

Default General Question - Buying from Canadians

Hi guys,

Just a general question here that I seemingly can't find the answer to online.

For those of you based in the U.S. and who have bought from sellers based in Canada, do you pay duties on your orders? If so, is it on all or only on some exceeding a specific amount?

Thank you!
Old 09-22-2016, 09:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKam View Post
Hi guys,

Just a general question here that I seemingly can't find the answer to online.

For those of you based in the U.S. and who have bought from sellers based in Canada, do you pay duties on your orders? If so, is it on all or only on some exceeding a specific amount?

Thank you!
You are supposed to declare value and buyers should pay on that amount. There aren't duties coming into the US as much as going out of, I believe. Maybe others will know more....
Old 09-22-2016, 01:25 PM
Mike Kaminski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
You are supposed to declare value and buyers should pay on that amount. There aren't duties coming into the US as much as going out of, I believe. Maybe others will know more....
Yes, I'm always paying duties on my imports valued over $100 - I'm just wondering whether you guys in the U.S. do as well, or whether there's a different threshold it must reach, or if there is anything else you must deal with when buying from Canada - thank you!
Old 09-22-2016, 02:13 PM
Brian Macdonald

Under NAFTA, aren't most goods made in Canada and/or USA duty exempt when crossing th border?

Sales tax might be applicable, but duty should be exempt, for the most part
Old 09-22-2016, 02:27 PM

I've never had to pay an additional fees to receive an item from Canada.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:29 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I thought we had free trade ? 🤔
Old 09-22-2016, 02:42 PM
Tony Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post
I've never had to pay an additional fees to receive an item from Canada.
Me neither, and I buy a lot of hockey cards from Canada (usually through eBay but other sources as well).
Old 09-22-2016, 03:30 PM
Mike Kaminski

Yes, NAFTA/Free Trade blah blah blah haha.

Here in Canada we're charged a brokerage fee + sales tax (13% in Ontario) for any import with a declared value of $100 (at least that is the threshold in my experience).

I've been wondering whether me being located in Canada may hinder my sales to the U.S. if it involves my customers there paying duties, but that does not seem to be the case haha. Thanks guys!
Old 09-22-2016, 03:38 PM
Den*nis O*Brien

Default No....

I didn't pay any extra on a T206 less than $50.00 from a B/S/T transaction from VintageJay in Canada. It took a little longer to pass thru customs but was a very smooth deal. I don't know anything about going reverse....US to Canada.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:05 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Yes, I'm always paying duties on my imports valued over $100 - I'm just wondering whether you guys in the U.S. do as well, or whether there's a different threshold it must reach, or if there is anything else you must deal with when buying from Canada - thank you!
I have only ever paid duty once on cards I have received from the U.S. and I have had a few orders over a $100 dollars.

The lady at the P.O. said it is a crap shoot. Some get flagged/caught and have to pay duty and others don't.

At the time, I had to pay another $28.00 on top of what I paid, which I believe was around $125 dollars worth of cards from the U.S.

I was nervous, as another set of cards were coming in a couple days for around the same amount, but, thankfully, I wasn't charged it again.

Today, I just received some more cards from PWCC that were late by 2 days so I thought for sure I was going to have to pay again, but thankfully, tonight, they were in my mail box.

I don't believe Americans pay anything more than what is listed on E-Bay whether those cards were purchased in Canada or the U.S.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:27 PM
Mike Kaminski

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I have only ever paid duty once on cards I have received from the U.S. and I have had a few orders over a $100 dollars.

The lady at the P.O. said it is a crap shoot. Some get flagged/caught and have to pay duty and others don't.

At the time, I had to pay another $28.00 on top of what I paid, which I believe was around $125 dollars worth of cards from the U.S.

I was nervous, as another set of cards were coming in a couple days for around the same amount, but, thankfully, I wasn't charged it again.

Today, I just received some more cards from PWCC that were late by 2 days so I thought for sure I was going to have to pay again, but thankfully, tonight, they were in my mail box.

I don't believe Americans pay anything more than what is listed on E-Bay whether those cards were purchased in Canada or the U.S.
Thank you!

Yeah the $28 you paid makes sense. The brokerage fee for Canada Post is $10 + sales tax (13% of $125 is about $16.25)
Old 09-22-2016, 06:39 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Thank you!

Yeah the $28 you paid makes sense. The brokerage fee for Canada Post is $10 + sales tax (13% of $125 is about $16.25)
There were a bunch of stories about this not that long ago but this is the only one I could find.
In a nutshell, paying duty on such a miniscule amount of money is to deter cross border shopping.

They, the Gov't, spend more running/managing it than they take in!
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/duty...rica-1.3467632