NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-28-2005, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Default It could happen to you or me!!

Posted By: PASJD

Ex-Wife Exacts Ebay Revenge

Kim Dryden says after 17 years of marriage she felt neglected by her husband, who managed to spend their entire life savings on baseball cards and memorabilia.

Now, she's taking it to him by taking his collection to Ebay.

"It's all worth it," said Dryden. "I just sit here and giggle through the whole thing going, 'I'm going to so send this link to him and he's going to scream!' And there's nothing he can do about it."

Dryden says Mark Granieri spent tens of thousands of dollars buying sports memorabilia indiscriminately.

"Since that was so important, I'm going to sell the things on Ebay and gather up receipts and mail them to him," she said.

Dryden says at one point he took her car and the last of their money and went to Cooperstown, the baseball hall of fame. W hen he got back, she was ready with divorce papers.

"Fanatic doesn't even begin to cover it," she said as she shuffled through thousands of cards from the 80s and 90s.

She's got baseball books, clothes, caps, rare cards, complete sets, and it's all up for grabs.

Interviewd by phone, Granieri says she won the memorabilia in the divorce. He admits he treated Dryden badly at times.

He says he is getting treatment in a 12-step program and has learned material goods don't matter.

But that's not what some collectors say.

"It'd be like tearing my heart out," said Doug Adelberg, at a Tucson sports card show. "I've got cards I still have I won't give to my son. I've given him the ones that aren't any good, but I've got the other cards that are valuable and put those in a safe deposit box. My wife doesn't even have the key."

Every day, Dryden works to put more items up for sale.

"I have an entire climate-controlled storage shed full of stuff," she said.

Dryden's tale begs the question: Why did she stay in that marriage so long?

"He wasn't a wife beater. He wasn't a drug addict, so how hard can it be really?" she said.

She found out when she realized he was not only spending their disposable income, he was failing to pay bills.

"In a ballpark sense," she estimates, "he probably spent 10 thousand dollars a year over 17 years."

Granieri says he wants Dryden to have a good life.

She working on it.

Dryden says even if she sells everything in online auctions, she won't get most of her money back. She has some valuable items, but many are not worth what her husband paid.

Still, she's looking ahead, has plans to marry an old flame and start a new life.

Old 01-28-2005, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert A

I'm glad you posted this.
robert a

Old 01-28-2005, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Billy

Good thing I'm not married or that could be me!!!

Old 01-28-2005, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

My wife told me that if we ever got divorced, she wants nothing to do with my cards. Maybe I should get that in writing!

Old 01-28-2005, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

Some of us have spent our married lives letting wife buy this and we buy an E98 Wagner, wife buys this, we buy a T207 Lewis, etc. I know I have done a pretty good job of keeping my income from work going in to the checking and savings account each month and just spending as I go on cards with ebay and auction profits, so I am not worried. Besides she'll outlive me by 20 years anyway....

Old 01-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff

So far this is the type of stuff she has listed.

junk

[edited to shorten link]

Old 01-28-2005, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

wasting money on all that crap!!!!!

Old 01-28-2005, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jackgoodman

to retire with all the money she's gonna make selling recent SI issues.

My wife made sure I listened to the tv interview she was on this morning. Don't know why??????

Old 01-28-2005, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

"Dryden says even if she sells everything in online auctions, she won't get most of her money back. She has some valuable items, but many are not worth what her husband paid."

after looking at the stuff she is selling,she will lose more money attempting to sell it! not to mention wasting time.

Old 01-29-2005, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

front wedgie....

The biggest problem is that I think of all the years he had worked at McDonalds...
opposed to having spent 10k in all those years was more the issue then the numerous Jody Davis rc's that he had.

One big problem that women have with men is that they do not realize our connection to sports. We cannot put our cards down and they simply throw away their barbies to make real ones.

Iam sure that alot of the vintage collectors and dealers wives know that we can get most of our monies back whenever we want to, that is one of the wonderful things in vintage collecting ,unless you buy from goofballs!

The advice here would be to make sure that your spouse recognizes your fetish with men in pinstripe tights !

Old 01-29-2005, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

My fetish is for guys in baggy flannel uniforms that reek of sweat. You can have the steroid beffcakes of the modern game in those spandex pinstripes. Although it's refreshing to see some of these players opt for the baggy look.

Jay

Wow upside down is Mom. Mom upside down is what dad wants to see.

Old 01-29-2005, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

does that mean ....your field of dreams ?

Hey when were there pinstripes anyway ?

Old 01-29-2005, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Pcelli60

Sounds like a perfect SABR canidate..

Old 01-29-2005, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Old 01-30-2005, 04:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff

Here's a link to some pictures of more of the stuff.

http://www.rockpages.net/pokeycam/ebay.html

Me and others on the eBay discussion board are trying to help her understand that what she has really is going to be a hard sell but she doesn't seem to be getting it.

She's thinking that if she puts the cards at somewhere to the middle of the beckett price that it's a good deal but in reality these years of cards don't usually sell for anymore than 5% of the book (if that) most times.

Jeff

Old 01-30-2005, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Billy

All the autographs are fakes. Especially the Gary Carter, Griffey Jr's, and willie mays. This guy was a real winner.

upon further review, I think the Joe Morgan and Frank Robinson actually might be real (although the ball is so crappy who would want it?)

I bought 1990 score when I was a kid, there were actually adults who bought those mass produced sets????