NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-10-2013, 02:43 PM

Default Never too early to make plans for the National

Just booked my flight and hotel reservations (Hilton Rosemont across from the Convention Center and connected by the skywalk). I've stayed there twice during Nationals and I highly recommend the hotel. I know it's only March but the special rates they have on rooms tend to dry up and disappear early. Check the National web page and click on the Hotel specials.
The last I heard leon WAS planning on having the annual Net 54 Dinner (isn't that correct leon?) so that is a must-do, along with taking in the Cubs and meeting all the great people I have come to know from this Net 54 site.
On to ebay to check out Cubs tickets :-)
See yóu all there!
tbob
Old 03-11-2013, 08:09 AM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

No flight yet but booked at the Aloft which is not far and has a shuttle. Look forward to seeing many again.

Lee
Old 03-11-2013, 08:15 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Hi Bob
I printed off the countersigned contract yesterday, for the Net54baseball Dinner. It will be at 6:30pm on Friday night (8/2/2013) as usual, at the Hyatt Regency O'hare, across the street from the Convention Center. Hope to see everyone (well, actually not really everyone...that would be over 3700 members ) there. More details in the coming months.....but the short answer is it will be close to the same as previous years.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:17 AM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Who are the Cubs playing on those days?
Old 03-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Charles
Charlie Ma.nn

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterose4hof View Post
Who are the Cubs playing on those days?
Brewers during the week, Dodgers on the weekend. The Cubbies should have a 10 game lead in their division by the time the National comes to town so tickets will be hard to get!
Old 03-11-2013, 08:54 AM
Tony Gordon

Net54 needs a facebook-type "Like" button.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:07 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Gordon View Post
Net54 needs a facebook-type "Like" button.
I/we have resisted Facebook and Twitter because, quite honestly, they make me puke.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:37 AM
GaryPassamonte

I've got front row seats behind the Dodger's dugout Thursday night. That's a dream come true for this lifelong Dodgers fan.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Don Hontz

Default Twitter

Leon thanks on the facebook and twitter I am with you on that---just not my thing---I have my hotel also booked for the National---and will attend the net 54 dinner again. Don
Old 03-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Mike L.
Mi.ke Leid.erm.an

Whoever set up the Net54 twitter account that links new threads has my thanks as it alerts me to new posts all the time. Be great if they could set it up for the BST board, too.

Very sorry I missed the National in Bmore last year as not sure if/when it'll ever come back this way.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Just booked my flights, need to track down a hotel. This will be my first card show, quite stoked to see that much cardboard in one room. Also four days away from the kids

I've been reading up on the tips form lats year, comfy shoes and a backpack sound like the most important, as well bring cash and a list of cards you are looking for.

Is the VIP 1/2 hour early really worth it, I am not interested in autos or gift bags? I hear SneakAPeak is a good idea for those of us who like to scour for hidden oddities. Are there any ways to work the room for us Vintage and especially T206 focused collectors.

Im staying until Sat, which is likely way more time then Ill need but want to hit up the Net54 Diner. Appreciate the tips everyone has shared.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I/we have resisted Facebook and Twitter because, quite honestly, they make me puke.
+ infinity.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:04 PM
pete ullman

I'm locked and loaded...er I mean have my flight and hotel booked...looking forward to it!!!!
Old 03-11-2013, 01:06 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwinnerx View Post
Whoever set up the Net54 twitter account that links new threads has my thanks as it alerts me to new posts all the time. Be great if they could set it up for the BST board, too.

Very sorry I missed the National in Bmore last year as not sure if/when it'll ever come back this way.
I don't have a smart phone, still have a dumb one. I don't have a Twitter account but my wife checked and lo and behold there is a Twitter account for Net54baseball. And there are 370+ followers . I guess you have to have the Twitter app to have Twitter. If others want to do it I won't try to spoil any fun. I just think following a chat board on a phone is a bit overboard (says the most addicted collector I know (myself))......
Old 03-11-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post

Is the VIP 1/2 hour early really worth it, I am not interested in autos or gift bags? I hear SneakAPeak is a good idea for those of us who like to scour for hidden oddities. Are there any ways to work the room for us Vintage and especially T206 focused collectors.
Chris- I'm not interested in the autos or gift bags either but it is great not to have to stand in the long lines to get in and also helpful to have a VIP room to sit down in, re-focus and check purchases, review notes on which cards are available, prices, etc., plus you'll see other 54ers there doing the same thing and the conversations are worth the price.
The Skeak Peek is probably overblown because so many people now attend it but it still gives you a crack at picking up a card which might not be there Thursday...

Last edited by tbob; 03-11-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:12 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Thanks Tbob, VIP it is then.

I figured that if everyone gets a sneakapeak then its not really that sneaky...Thanks for the insight...really looking forward to meeting several members and seeing some amazing cardboard.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Hi Bob
I printed off the countersigned contract yesterday, for the Net54baseball Dinner. It will be at 6:30pm on Friday night (8/2/2013) as usual, at the Hyatt Regency O'hare, across the street from the Convention Center. Hope to see everyone (well, actually not really everyone...that would be over 3700 members ) there. More details in the coming months.....but the short answer is it will be close to the same as previous years.

Thanks leon for all you do to make the National so much fun. The cards are secondary to the chance to meet new 54ers and renew old acquaintances. This is my one chance all year to actually see, face to face, all the great collectors I email or chat electronically with all year. It's nice to put a face with the IDs.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:19 PM
Mike L.
Mi.ke Leid.erm.an

Quote:
I don't have a smart phone, still have a dumb one. I don't have a Twitter account but my wife checked and lo and behold there is a Twitter account for Net54baseball. And there are 370+ followers . I guess you have to have the Twitter app to have Twitter. If others want to do it I won't try to spoil any fun. I just think following a chat board on a phone is a bit overboard (says the most addicted collector I know (myself))......
Fair enough. I have Echofon (free Twitter client) on my iPad and if I happen to see the Net54 account update scroll by, it may bring me to login to the site.

Not to completely derail this, but, here's the account and here's what you see in the update. A thread title and a link.

https://twitter.com/net54baseball
Old 03-11-2013, 05:38 PM

All my reservations are made, too. Looking forward to meeting new Net54ers as well as seeing old friends. As I've always said, the Net54 dinner is the highlight of the National !!!
Old 03-11-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
I've got front row seats behind the Dodger's dugout Thursday night. That's a dream come true for this lifelong Dodgers fan.
Wow Gary,
The Dodgers at Wrigley make going to the National very tempting. Since I'm sure you have an extra ticket or two I'll sit with you. Remember us Dodger fans have to stick together.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:30 AM
GaryPassamonte

Since I live in western NY, my opportunities to see the Dodgers play are few. Last year I saw them play for the first time in Philadelphia, which is almost a 6 hour drive. When I found out the Dodgers would be in Chicago at the same time the National was being held this year, I was ecstatic and went out and got the best tickets I could find. Hopefully the weather gods will cooperate.

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 03-12-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:00 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Just got tickets to the Dodgers, this will be my second MLB game. This trip just gets better and better.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:36 AM
Mike Mattsey

And what better place to hoist a couple before/after the game for pre-war baseball collectors?

http://www.merkleschicago.com/
Old 03-12-2013, 11:06 PM
Glenn
Gl.en.n Willr1ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubs1969 View Post
The Cubbies should have a 10 game lead in their division by the time the National comes to town so tickets will be hard to get!
Ha!.....love the optimism
Old 03-13-2013, 05:03 PM
Eric Shaeffer

If anyone would be interested in sharing a room at the super8 for Friday and Saturday night please PM me. Looks like it could be under 90$ apiece. (Im not a partier & I dont drink.)
I'm talking under 90$ for both nights, just for clarification.

Last edited by Ease; 03-13-2013 at 11:42 PM. Reason: clarification.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ease View Post
(Im not a partier & I dont drink.)
So it's safe to say the party isn't in your room?
Old 03-13-2013, 06:47 PM
Eric Shaeffer

Quote:
So it's safe to say the party isn't in your room?
Haha yeah, this doesnt mean I'm an un-fun guy. Really.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:28 PM

How fun are you, Eric ?
Old 03-14-2013, 02:08 PM
Eric Shaeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
How fun are you, Eric ?
Ha! Well, now that depends on your definition of fun
Old 03-14-2013, 06:20 PM
Rich Klein

Default Just booked my flight

And hotel is already booked as well.

Leon -- if you want to car pool -- I'm leaving on Tuesday morning (yes the price differential was that much) and returning on Sunday

Rich
Old 03-14-2013, 09:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
And hotel is already booked as well.

Leon -- if you want to car pool -- I'm leaving on Tuesday morning (yes the price differential was that much) and returning on Sunday

Rich
Hi Rich
Scott and I will probably go on Wed as usual. If it changes I will let you know....LL
Old 03-14-2013, 10:19 PM
Glenn
Gl.en.n Willr1ch

I'm trying every damn thing I can to get away with my buddy for the Windy City trip.....unfortunately I have a wife who likes to plan my summers for me with trips to escape the scorching desert temps.....

......I haven't given up yet.

If only the Nat would come back out west! I think San Diego would be a perfect permanent location

Great cards, beautiful weather, beautiful women and the ocean all in one place