NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-07-2013, 06:00 AM
pete ullman

Default The Old Brick and Mortar Card Store

I was cruising a neighborhood foreign to me yesterday afternoon and I stumbled across a sportscard store...against my better judgment I went in to see if they had any vintage.

Amongst the mix of mostly shiny stuff...there were a few hundred cards from the 50's-80's...and then I spotted a small handful of vintage...practically hidden...there were:

-1 t201 common in g...for $150
-1 t202 common in g for $200
-1 T212 Obak common in g ...for $80

I asked one of the guys if they had any more vintage...and the response was how the 2 guys that used to bring it in have since stopped and that they need to more actively seek it out and that I should check back soon because they buy like no other!

IT's funny how when you usually see vintage at these B & M stores(if u see any at all)...the prices are stratospheric!!!!!

It's as if these guys(owners) are in denial that the internet even exists?!?!
Old 03-07-2013, 06:03 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

as they pick up their rotary phone to answer a call......
Old 03-07-2013, 06:42 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I have not walked into a brick and mortar card store in years. To at least a certain extent, though, I get the fact that a brick and mortar store can't compete with prices on eBay. But the delusion of many eBay sellers seems even more far-fetched in some cases.

This eBay listing caught my attention earlier. The exact same card sold for $1,553 last month at Heritage. Current eBay BIN price? $5,799 or best offer. I am a Phillies fan, so I know that Sealtest stickers are pretty hard to come by, but even half price of that BIN seems pretty far-fetched, IMO. We have all seen eBay listings that have been on the site for years and will never sell.

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleN...05&lotNo=42017

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-Sealtes...item53f5c801d7

Last edited by Bored5000; 03-07-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:47 AM
Tom Boblitt

We only have a couple stores here in Louisville. I generally only stop in if I need boxes or plastic sheets. They have no vintage BB nor nonsports. Just new stuff. Both nice guys though. The one has had vintage occasionally and knows it's worth and prices it accordingly. Took some in on consignment and stuck it up on ebay. I would never bid on anything they do because I know they have had people shill in the past.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:28 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I went into a nice coin and card shop in Williamsburg VA....it was a little high, but consistent...there were a couple of good buys, just not on stuff I was collecting. We had a great conversation and I bought a $50 card I should have probably paid a little less for. He told me that next time he'd rather me bring some cards in to trade...and I completely believe him.

I also go into a B&M store everytime i am in Huntington...have gotten a couple of good buys over the years.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:32 AM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

there are 2 card shops by me...i have no clue how they stay in business. one at least has the good sense to sell pok-e-mon cards.

i have to assume they also list their stock on ebay...
Old 03-07-2013, 07:55 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

No card shops near me in Mass (as far as I know). But there's an antique/consignment shop in Buzzard's Bay, MA and I'm amazed at how optimistic people are on prices. Nothing vintage, but cards from the mid '80's listed for ridiculously high prices that have been sitting in there for literally years. I can't imagine what the monthly fee must be for a table ($5? $10?) as nothing ever sells.
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:13 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default It never hurts to look

Visited 2 shops on my recent road trip.

Both owners were willing to chat.

Both stayed in business with large framed modern display pieces for affluent mother's and dad's to buy for their kid's bedroom walls. The cards were not their bread and butter.

One guy had a few 50 Bowman FB cards in G/VG condition. I asked him to give me a price on 4 together. He went in the back room to look at the price guide , came back with a $900 figure (NM), but said he would let me have them for $180. The lot included Graham, Groza and two other minor stars. I passed, but he was very close to what I would pay. When I got home, I still had some money in my pocket. Maybe I should have had 4 cards as well.

The other guy says occasionally he gets old stuff in. He said he will email me when that happens. When I said prewar only, he said which war.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:17 AM
Steve Birmingham

There's one fairly close to me in Tewksbury Mass.

At first glance it's not much of a card store, they have lots of stuff like pennants, posters, all kinds of souvenir stuff. And a decent selection of modern cards. They also do some vintage, mostly postwar Redsox. They sometimes have prewar. They have at least one buyer for T206s whenever I'm there they show me the ones they have for him. Priced a bit high, but not crazy.

They also sell pokemon and that sort of stuff, as well as a few kid favorite gag items. I got my nephew a pair of "crazy eye" glasses (Kid size glasses with bloodshot eyeballs mounted on slinkys if you've never sen them)

They also do a lot of internet selling, and were ahead of many places doing that. When Curtis Martin went to the Jets they packed up the whole inventory of his cards and sold them onlline to a dealer in NY in under 24 hrs. They got rid of what would become dead inventory and the NY guy had a nice selection well ahead of the other shops around him. A win for everyone.

Steve B
Old 03-07-2013, 08:22 AM
Mike L.
Mi.ke Leid.erm.an

Here in Northern VA, we have the modern equivalent of a card store in Blowout Cards' retail operation. No or very little amount of singles of any kind, tons of wax, and supplies. (Disclosure: I'll buy a box of Heritage, not going to lie.)

That said, at least we also get the Dulles show a few times a year, so, definitely not complaining. Already have my supply shopping list ready to go for April 5-7.

I've looked at prewar at Dulles before and haven't bought, but, maybe will keep my eyes open for some deals this year.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:56 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Two shops near me that have each been in business nearly 30 years: Sports Collectibles of Houston and Houston Sports Connection.

Sports Collectibles of Houston has some nice 50's and '60s stuff, but no pre-war. They cater to the set builder. They have boxes and boxes of commons from the '50s on up.

Houston Sports Connection is the same, but he does have some pre-war. However, he doesn't display it in the cases, he keeps it put up. You have to ask to see it and I get the feeling that he just really doesn't want to sell it. He'll pull it out when I'm there to show me any new acquisitions, but I think he really wants to keep it for himself although he might part with something if the price were right. He doesn't need the money - there are plenty of other things in the store from which he generates revenue.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Glenn
Gl.en.n Willr1ch

There's nothing of quality here in Vegas either. I did have a good experience back in Ohio where I came from though. It was around 1997-1998 when I stumbled upon a small brick and mortar on the south side of Youngstown. He's the one who actually got me into vintage. He used to always have a bunch of T206's and E cards available amongst a buffet of the new "shiny stuff". I remember buying a good amount off of him for great prices back then. He also was the first one to turn me on to Ebay back in 1998. He told me that used to sell some of his stock on this auction website called "Ebay".....I quickly went home to discover a whole new world of online vintage cards, lol.

About three years later I sent all the vintage that I had bought off of him to PSA to be graded.....then flipped em on Ebay for a nice profit when vintage cards took off in the very early 2000's. I've been hooked ever since
Old 03-07-2013, 10:02 AM
pete ullman

I used to make a habit out of checking for bb card stores when I'd visit a new city...back in 92-93' while visiting cleveland Ohio interviewing for dental college...I found a store...maybe on euclid ave that had tons of vintage. I ended up buying a nice red hindu t206 and 2 e97 b/w's...ahhhhh...those were the days...even though I overpaid for them all!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

When I used to have a brick and mortar store, I would keep a few T206s and 33 Goudeys prominently displayed in a display case. I priced them really high on purpose with no real intention on selling them. They were great conversation pieces.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Have a local guy who has a case in one of the antique co-ops in town. Same deal. He puts out a couple of T206 commons in fair condition for $100 bucks each. They are not really for sale. What a tease.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Jason Stricker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
I went into a nice coin and card shop in Williamsburg VA....it was a little high, but consistent...there were a couple of good buys, just not on stuff I was collecting. We had a great conversation and I bought a $50 card I should have probably paid a little less for. He told me that next time he'd rather me bring some cards in to trade...and I completely believe him.
I go to that shop a few times a year when I'm down in Williamsburg or passing through. I too have overpaid for a card there, but the owner, Guy, is nice and has some good stories. Last time I was in, he wanted to buy my T206 set and went on to tell me a story about when he was bidding on a T206 Wagner.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

I went to college in Williamsburg and have stopped in that shop when in town for Homecoming, reunion events and the like. It is a nice place to visit. I expect to pay more there as I know what it is to try to operate a small retail business with rent, insurance and other overhead.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default pricing

When I go into a shop and see a common beater T206 priced at one hundred bucks I figure that the rest of the inventory will be overpriced so I usually leave without asking about anything else. Sounds like a poor strategy to me.

If it was in the case at a reasonable price I would take a serious look at the rest of the inventory and I would probably spend some money.

Same thing with card shows. I take a quick look at the dealers cases and if things are overpriced I move on quickly.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Peter F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I was cruising a neighborhood foreign to me yesterday afternoon and I stumbled across a sportscard store...against my better judgment I went in to see if they had any vintage.

Amongst the mix of mostly shiny stuff...there were a few hundred cards from the 50's-80's...and then I spotted a small handful of vintage...practically hidden...there were:

-1 t201 common in g...for $150
-1 t202 common in g for $200
-1 T212 Obak common in g ...for $80

I asked one of the guys if they had any more vintage...and the response was how the 2 guys that used to bring it in have since stopped and that they need to more actively seek it out and that I should check back soon because they buy like no other!

IT's funny how when you usually see vintage at these B & M stores(if u see any at all)...the prices are stratospheric!!!!!

It's as if these guys(owners) are in denial that the internet even exists?!?!
If I ever go into Sports Card stores when I'm traveling, their inventory, prices, product placement of vintage cards always cracks me up. It's always EXACTLY like peter says.

It's like they put care into exactly which mundane vintage cards they have chosen to put in the bottom back shelf - a vg t206 in a screw down, maybe a panel from a t202, possibly a strip card and of course a Goudey 4 in 1 with no HOFers.

it's almost like their showcase was set up by a set designer for a tv show or something. Out of central casting - all these card shops vintage inventory seem exactly the same! Cracks me up.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoele$$ View Post
There's nothing of quality here in Vegas either.
A couple of years ago I went to a shop about a mile off the strip in what appeared to be the Chinatown area of LV; they had some decent stuff. I ended up with a Joe Louis item I'd been looking for.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Mike Mattsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrain View Post
Have a local guy who has a case in one of the antique co-ops in town. Same deal. He puts out a couple of T206 commons in fair condition for $100 bucks each. They are not really for sale. What a tease.
There's an antique store here in town that has a fake T206 Wagner, appropriately labelled, with a $50.00 price tag on it. I saw it, and didn't even bother to look at what else he had figuring it was similarly overpriced.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Glenn
Gl.en.n Willr1ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
When I go into a shop and see a common beater T206 priced at one hundred bucks I figure that the rest of the inventory will be overpriced so I usually leave without asking about anything else. Sounds like a poor strategy to me.

If it was in the case at a reasonable price I would take a serious look at the rest of the inventory and I would probably spend some money.

Same thing with card shows. I take a quick look at the dealers cases and if things are overpriced I move on quickly.

Rick
100% agree Rick. I'm the exact same way, as I have very little tolerance and patience for people who obviously think more highly of their cards and what they think they're worth than everybody else in the market. They should just save themselves and everybody else's time and just keep the damn card, don't even put it out for sale if you have no intention of being competitive in your asking price. Unless you have a VERY rare and low population card that everybody wants, you better keep your prices competitive. I wish everybody in this hobby shared the same mentality. Many card prices would be much lower and some of these jackass shysters would be out of business, and they could take their little cards with them

It's the very reason I don't even entertain card shop, online card dealers or certain ebay prices anymore. It's gotten to be a complete joke and a major black eye for the hobby these days. I sure do miss the simpler times of collecting.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:29 PM

There are only a couple of real stores in my area. One has been around forever and I can't figure how or why. What little 50's stuff they have is overgraded and overpriced. Their prices on new boxes are even high.
The other guy is nice enough and has some vintage at ok prices, but if I go there once every 6 months, he has the same vintage inventory.
Over in Middlesex Boro, there was a store with the largest inventory I think I've ever seen. His prices were bizarre- the best was an SGC 50 1940 Playball common for 125.00! The storefront was empty the last time I drove by. Love to know where all those cards went...
Old 03-07-2013, 03:50 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrain View Post
Tom, is this one of the antique shops in Somerville?

Judson, I think I know the store you were talking about. The changed names for like a month or two before closing the door. I was only in once before they shut down, but was actually really impressed with the inventory.

Dj
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 03-07-2013, 04:29 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default stores

I used to always visit two well stocked vintage stores in CHI area - Graffs on Miwk Ave and Zekes...both closed a few yrs ago and went the way on internet.
And in NJ..I see a place around Woodbridge NJ - Rookes and Stars.. just closed a few weeks ago..
Old 03-07-2013, 04:35 PM
Pete Sycks

I was up in the mountains of NC a couple weeks ago and we stumbled on this tiny shop. I was expecting tons of newer stuff, but he did have a bunch of '80's uncut sheets and I picked up a couple '85 Topps Puckett / Clemens / Mcgwire sheets for $10 a pop. They're not worth a ton, but still pretty fun to have. You could tell the old guy was so excited to see anyone and make a couple bucks.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:51 PM

Hangman62 - Rookies and Stars was the second shop I referred to. Sorry to see him go under, but not terribly surprised. He had bought and then sold a second location in Westfield and had a huge theft a few months back. Tough business these days.
And the place on Rte 28 in Middlesex did change hands at the end but didn't last long.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Adam

Hi Adam, 2-3 years ago there were two shops on the same road about 2 miles off of the strip on the edge of Chinatown. Both had some decent 50's and 60's cards, but they were more interested in purchasing cards for their ebay store. When I was in Las Vegas last year both shops were gone.

My wife and I like to take the bus and spend a lot of time away from the strip. We check out card shops and antique stores, but we haven't had much luck with pre-war cards.

If you use the hotel phone book to look up card shops make sure you call ahead before you make your visit. Most of them are closed. Same thing for antique stores, although there are several decent antique stores within walking distance or a short bus ride from the strip and the prices aren't bad.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:14 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I love going into baseball card shops just to soak in all of that old cardboard, but the business models of virtually every store I enter is just plain ridiculous. As others have noted, there is no doubt that if you went back to the same shop 5 years from now, the same vintage cards you see priced in the display cases will still be there...forsaken.

I'm trying to finish my 1961 set, so I stopped in at a local place. A big store with a ton of inventory, but 90% of it was shiny new stuff, so it took him forever to even find his 61's. Clearly there aren't a lot of people coming in off the street asking to peruse them. After I asked him how much he wanted for a few commons and a way off center high number, he went about his 'pricing policy.' First he checked a Beckett guide and I loudly scoffed. "What?" he said. And I answered him that a Beckett guide doesn't come anywhere close to reality in pricing cards accurately. His response was that he checks that guide first, then some huge annual pricing guide (I didn't get the name of it) and then he goes on ebay to see what each card is selling for. He went on and on about how the guides give you nr. mt. pricing, so you have to know how to raise or lower the price based on condition and what not. I said, "Sure. You have to take everything into account, especially any problems with the card."

Whoa...long story short. Sorry. It took him forever doing his 'research' and finally came back to me with prices that were at or above what's in Beckett and he wouldn't negotiate. His reasoning? Well, on ebay they're 'selling' for these prices. Again, these cards were all commons (well, one of them was a Yankee). I said, "Are you checking sold listings or just listing price?? Because listing price has no bearing on reality. And the high number is 90/10 o/c both ways." He just gave me a confused look and said, "That's what they're going for. If you don't want them I'll easily sell them to someone else." I chuckled, wished him a good day, and left.

I'm sure, much like the final scene in 'Raiders of the Lost Ark,' he went and put that box of 61's back in his endless warehouse of vintage card boxes.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 03-07-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:14 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default B & M Sportscard Stores

I almost want to cry when I think of two sportscard stores that used to be in my "neighborhood" in northern New Jersey. One was called North Jersey Sportscards in Fort Lee on Central Road and the other was Danpak on North Washington Avenue in Bergenfield.

North Jersey had an amazing selection of pre-war stuff. Although I wasn't in to it all that much at the time, I remember seeing a very large number of T206s and even Old Judges.

Danpak was mostly newer stuff, but the owner, Dan Schupak, did have some oldies but goodies and I did buy one of my first Old Judges from him - a pretty decent Paul Hines.

Since I worked in Englewood Cliffs (the neighboring town to Fort Lee) and lived in Bergenfield at the time I used to drop in to those two places pretty frequently just to shoot the breeze and usually buy a card or two. Most of my hand-collated 80s and 90s Topps sets came from Danpak and a few of my
T206s, Cracker Jacks and Goudeys came from North Jersey. Both of those places were extremely customer friendly and did a pretty good business because of it.

Norht Jersey is long gone, but Danpak is still in the same space, although he is almost exclusively coins and stamps these days.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsey9 View Post
There's an antique store here in town that has a fake T206 Wagner, appropriately labelled, with a $50.00 price tag on it. I saw it, and didn't even bother to look at what else he had figuring it was similarly overpriced.
A card store in Eatontown, NJ back around 1989-91, had a fake Wagner with a $50,000 price tag. If you picked it up, and flipped it over, he had another tag the said something like "$50,000 for near-mint, this card is vg, so $15"

Apparently someone saw the card, but never saw the back. They broke into his store one night and stole the card. Not 100% sure, but I believe all he lost was that card
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 03-08-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwinnerx View Post
Here in Northern VA, we have the modern equivalent of a card store in Blowout Cards' retail operation. No or very little amount of singles of any kind, tons of wax, and supplies. (Disclosure: I'll buy a box of Heritage, not going to lie.)

That said, at least we also get the Dulles show a few times a year, so, definitely not complaining. Already have my supply shopping list ready to go for April 5-7.

I've looked at prewar at Dulles before and haven't bought, but, maybe will keep my eyes open for some deals this year.
Have you ever been to AJ's in Vienna, VA? I worked in that shop when I was 12 years old back in 1983, and my understanding is that it's still there today. I moved from the area in 2004 and haven't been back, but would love to know what became of it. I'm quite sure the owner, Jim, is long gone as he was in his 50's back then and smoke like a carton of cigarettes a day.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:48 AM
Jason Stricker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Can Dan View Post
Have you ever been to AJ's in Vienna, VA?
I've heard about AJ's, but could never seem to locate it. Where exactly in Vienna is it?
Old 03-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Mike L.
Mi.ke Leid.erm.an

Funny, never heard of AJs and thought "It's Vienna how hard could it be to find it?"

So I loaded up Google Maps and placed my little guy in the 3D mode and sure enough, couldn't find it. Until I started zooming around the view a bit. Took someone's note of "a small little store" and sure enough, found it.

Picture should leave enough area awareness.

Last edited by bigwinnerx; 03-08-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

When I sold my 1993 Chevy Cavalier in 2008 (after 200,000 miles), I cleaned out the glove box...it literally had 100s of ripped out yellow book pages. Wherever I visited, I would tear out the baseball card store page, make calls, and visit. Found some great stuff.

Still do it sometimes. In Vegas about six months ago and went to a store about 4 miles off the strip going west on Maryland I think that had some decent vintage and was willing to work on price. Picked up a psa2 t206 crawford batting pose, a '33 goudey, a bunch of early bowman for a decent price. He had a huge zeenut collection that he purchased when pawn stars turned it down. Not sure how much longer the store will be there because he was trying to expand and compete with Blowout Cards and Dave and Adam's to become the west coast dealer in wax. Risky.

Going to be in Colorado in a month and looking forward to ripping out a couple pages from my hotel room's yellow pages!

Joshua
Old 03-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Michael S

I visit a shop every few months for supplies in the Minneapolis area. Been doing that for 10 years. The owner and his Wife are nice. I check out his 50's and 60's selection but the only time I ever purchased cards was about 5 years ago when he had just purchased a cache of raw 62 BB Highs.

He had multiples of most of the Rookie cards (most above #581) and they were very nice. I picked out the nicest of each and most upgraded my set (which is around NM). A very cherry Twins team card and an awesome #598 (last card) were the highlights. Probably should have purchased them all but chose the best copies. The prices were reasonable, maybe around ex-mt pricing. Got lucky because I was in the store like the next day after he purchased. They were all gone in a few days.

Last edited by sox1903wschamp; 03-09-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:03 PM
pete ullman

michael...where is the store you frequent in mpls? apple valley?
Old 03-09-2013, 04:12 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
michael...where is the store you frequent in mpls? apple valley?
No Pete. I know the store your thinking about. This one is in Richfield. Uncommon Sportscards, 66th and Penn. Sort of a hole in the wall but I like it for supplies.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:15 PM
pete ullman

thanks michael...i've found a few vintage cards in stillwater at antique mall...occasionally at har mar mall when they have sportscard shows...that's about it!!!!!
Old 03-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

I will give a quick shout-out to the owner of one brick-and-mortar store who has a clue about current market value: Randy's Sportscards outside of Quakertown, PA. Although you won't find a lot of pre-war stuff at his shop, Randy is always getting in stuff and he knows how to turn merchandise by setting his prices at or below eBay prices and then working you a deal on top of that. Beyond that, he's just a good guy.

Randy sets up at the National and a lot of regional card shows so I'm sure he is known to many on this board.

I agree that most card-shop owners are stuck in the pre-internet days (80s) and are just wasting everyone's time with their joke museum prices. Randy is not one of those guys.

Disclosure statement: I am not an employee of Randy's or associated with him in any capacity, other than being a pretty regular customer of his.

Rob
Old 03-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
A card store in Eatontown, NJ back around 1989-91, had a fake Wagner with a $50,000 price tag. If you picked it up, and flipped it over, he had another tag the said something like "$50,000 for near-mint, this card is vg, so $15"

Apparently someone saw the card, but never saw the back. They broke into his store one night and stole the card. Not 100% sure, but I believe all he lost was that card
When baseball cards where in their heyday (late 80s / early 90s) we had several break-ins and attempted break-ins. Often the thieves walked away with junk we couldn't care less about, but occasionally they got some good stuff. Fortunately, it was all insured.

Oftentimes customers would ask, "What is your most expensive card?" I cringed a little every time I heard this because it made me wonder if they were "casing the joint".
Old 03-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post

Rick
im going to be 39 years old in april, and I have Never been inside hobby/baseball card store. Just isnt worth it. But an antique shop IMO is different, i like popping in them if i have time.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:31 PM

AJs in Vienna is still there. Jim died about 4-5 years ago. Gary owns it now and it still looks much the same as it did when I first went there in 1994. There's a large inventory that barely turns over. Many of the boxes on the shelves haven't moved in 20 years or more. I stop by about once a month to check the bidboard.

Andy
Old 03-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Claude Emond

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterose4hof View Post

Oftentimes customers would ask, "What is your most expensive card?"
Easy answer: my credit card
Old 03-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Alex

I recently drove through my hometown, Leesburg, FL, and saw a card shop. The shop, Not Just Cardboard, sold cards and comics. It was cramped into a shop much too smal for its inventory. Funny thing was that I knew the kid behind the counter because I used to be a camp counselor back when he went to summer camp. There wasn't anything that I collect but they had a good assortment of stuff from the 20s to present at affordable prices. I would recommend the shop.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:06 AM
Glyn Parson

Default I am surely glad

People have these preconceived notions that all card shops are overpriced. It has afforded me the opportunity to make many many great purchases over my approximately 35 years of collecting cards. (40 years old)
Old 03-19-2013, 06:01 AM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default store

I travel often for my job..yrs ago when you had many a brick and mortar card shop....you could say the city..and I would tell you the best card shop in the area !.... Apple Valley MN, Gladstone MO,Mechanicsburg PA,Boise ID,... now a days...if your lucky to find a store..its often disappointing to the true vintage collector

RalG
Old 03-19-2013, 06:29 AM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
I recently drove through my hometown, Leesburg, FL, and saw a card shop. The shop, Not Just Cardboard, sold cards and comics. It was cramped into a shop much too smal for its inventory. Funny thing was that I knew the kid behind the counter because I used to be a camp counselor back when he went to summer camp. There wasn't anything that I collect but they had a good assortment of stuff from the 20s to present at affordable prices. I would recommend the shop.
I live about an hour from Leesburg. I will have to check out this store some time.