NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-15-2004, 12:47 AM
Administrator

Default SABR announces Deadball Stars publish date

Posted By: jay behrens

SABR in it's latest newsletter has announced that the Deadball Stars of the American League is slated for the 2005 publication cycle. This means that you need to be a member of SABR for the 2005 year if you wish to get this book for free. The Deadball stars of NAtional LEague is sold out, so miss your chance at this book.

Another thing to consider is that SABR is raising it's dues effective Oct 1st to $60. Prior to then, you can still join for $50, so join now while it's still cheap. And if they've added the ability to credit someone for a referal on the website, please mention me.

http://sabr.org

Jay

I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Wierd, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff. And I want in.

Old 09-15-2004, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

for them to lower their dues to $40 - then I would probably join.

Old 09-15-2004, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

Sweet!. I read the first one and it was great. Always nice to put some real info with some of this cardboard we buy. I have thought about joining SABR, no better time. I'll list you a s a referral Jay. I encourage others to read these books as well as they are filled with great info. At least the first was.

Old 09-15-2004, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Jay, just so you don't mis-read my post. I have one of the SABR publications, and it's fantastic ("Nineteenth Century Stars") - I refer to it frequently when doing research.

The problem I have with SABR is that you frequently plug them, and that's fine, but when I asked a simple question, I couldn't get a straight answer out of you. I'm referring to the question about Amos Rusie's lifetime won/lost record. If you remember, I asked you which set of stats SABR agreed with, since you can find at least three different lifetime records for him when searching reputable sources. Surely SABR has some thoughts on this (i.e - they support a particular record), but I couldn't get an answer from you or your buddies. I'd really love to hear their thoughts - what was Rusie's career W/L record? Thanks.

Old 09-15-2004, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: bcornell

The NL Deadball Stars book is still available from the publisher here.

It's a great read.

Old 09-15-2004, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Scott, I'm sorry, I must have missed the post asking for the Rusie numbers. SABR doesn't maintain a seperate record for players that is different from MLB. What they do is research old record for accuracy and the submit new the data, with why it needs to be changed. After that, it's up to MLB to make the changes.

Since Total Baseball quit being published, I'm not sure what the official "book of record" is for MLB, but I think Elias Sports maintians the official records. I get the records committee newsletter and I can't say I remember seeing anything about changes to Rusie's numbers, so I would guess that the Elias numbers what the SABRheads agree with.

Baseball-reference.com's numbers I believe com from Elias as this used to be Seam Lehman's site always used current SABR info.

Jay

I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Wierd, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff. And I want in.

Old 09-15-2004, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cy

Here is the link to amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com

Old 09-15-2004, 11:04 AM
Administrator

I "spoke" with someone else involved with SABR and got an answer that kind of explained why I have a hard time getting answers. But your current response is appreciated and makes sense.

Here's a link to the previous thread on the subject:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=153652&messageid=1068569444

Old 09-15-2004, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

Remember, it is NOT SABR's job to determine which is the official reference work of major league baseball. It is one of the missions of SABR members to research baseball history and work on stats (Project Retrosheet is an good example of work done by mainly SABR members although not an official SABR work)

And, as we have found out, stats tend to be " changable" depending on corrections made by those dedicated researchers. For example, Hack Wilson with 191 RBI's because some dedicated researchers found an missed RBI

And BTW -- there was a new Total Baseball this year -- done by a different publishing house so you can have a 2004 Total Baseball

Rich

Old 09-15-2004, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Several researchers at SABR could all come up with different results doing research on a similar topic, and each stick with their own opinions to the death, and SABR itself would not support any result in particular. That's all fine - I just didn't realize that was how it worked with those guys. Still very admirable, probably even more so than before since there don't seem to be any rules and researchers are free to really follow their passion. (I hope I'm getting it) Thanks!

Old 09-15-2004, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Hufford

Besides the publications that come with a SABR membership, there are other member benefits that you would be hard pressed to find anywhere else at any price. An example is the free member-access to the ProQuest and HeritageQuest websites. ProQuest currently has searchable on-line files (back to the 1850's) of the New York Times, Washington Post, Chicago Tribune, and Los Angeles Times, and more papers will be added later. HeritageQuest gives access to 1,000s of local history and genealogical publications. Access to digitized copies of The Sporting News (since 1886) are available from Paper of Record at a 25% price break for SABR members.

Not to mention the SABR Baseball Encyclopedia, recently added to the Members Only section of the SABR website (and Amos Rusie's record is listed as 245-174). The SABR BB Encyclopedia is cross-referenced with the Tattersall-McConnell home run log, and "with the click of a button" you can get info on any major league home run hit by any batter or off any pitcher (i.e. Amos Rusie hit his first HR on 10-4-1892 off Washington's Frank Killen, in the bottom of the 2nd inning, bases empty, at the Polo Grounds. And the first 3 HRs that Rusie allowed in the majors - in 1889 - were to three fellow HOFers, Ned Hanlon, Sam Thompson, and King Kelly).

No VBC forum member should be without a SABR membership - check it out at www.sabr.org

Tom Hufford
SABR founding member - 1971
Current member of SABR board of directors

Old 09-16-2004, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

I'm finally gonna get my butt in gear and join but, as I understand it, I need to wait until after October 1st for my dues to apply to 2005. If I were to join this month I would get the 2004 publications but my dues would only cover until the end of this year. Is that correct?

Rob M.

Old 09-16-2004, 05:07 PM
Administrator

ramram, You are correct, if you are joining for the first time before Oct 1st, the $50 would count towards the 2004 membership, but you would get ALL pubilication issued for 2004. After Oct 1st, your membeship goes for 2005 and you get no books issued for 2004. If you are a current member, if you renew before Oct 1st, it only costs $50. After that, $60 to renew.

Jay

Old 09-16-2004, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ChuckkieB

I am planning on joining SABR but I'm not sure if I should do so for 2004 or 2005. Can someone tell me what publications they've issued so far in 2004?

Old 09-17-2004, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Not sure what is slated for 2004 beyond the Baseball Research Journal (BRJ) and The National Pasttime (TNP). There will be at least one other book and maybe a second, but I have no idea what else is slated.

Jay