NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-24-2006, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Default O/T Internet auction purchases with warranty

Posted By: peter chao

Dear Gentlemen,

I've been lurking for a while and I have only 4 T-206 cards, but they include two mattys and a Big Train portrait. At any rate I'm looking for an internet auctioneer that has a 30 day return policy. Let me know if you know of any such auctioneer. Thanks in advance for the info.

Peter

Old 11-24-2006, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Why would you ask this question? Just curious. As far as I know no auctioneer gives a 30 day return policy...it wouldn't be an auction if they did, it would be Wal-Mart. Honestly, it almost sounds like you would buy something with thoughts of returning it....??

Old 11-24-2006, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee

Mastro does not equal eBay for returns. I'd be surprised if anyone on eBay would give you a refund after 30 days. Usually, if you can get something on Mastro or another big sports auction house, you are in it to keep it or maybe resell it.

Edited to fix typos and add:
My general rule of thumb is if you don't like how it looks don't bid. You may be more disappointed when you get the item in person. This goes for any buying that is done when the product is right infront of you as well. I have bought hundreds of T206's, this is speaking from experience.

Old 11-25-2006, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Guys,

It's simple I'm going to the auctioneer who wants to earn their money and is sure about the quality of the items their selling. When I spend $500 at Neiman Marcus I can return it with no questions asked, that's one of the reasons I buy there.

PETER CHAO

Old 11-25-2006, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: chris

You will not find anyone with high end cards and a 30 day return policy...why would you need 30 days??? At most, you will find a seller than may offer 7 days - and that is generous.

Old 11-25-2006, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

i didn't know nieman-marcus sold cards

Old 11-25-2006, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Why do you want 30 days to finalize the sale, Peter?

Old 11-25-2006, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

About the only reason that makes sense for someone to request a 30 day return policy is to allow time to get the cards graded without having to pay an arm and a leg for the quicker services. What's kind of cheesy about that is that there are some nice looking raw cards that people wont bid on because they feel the card may be altered (trimmed). I suppose a 30 day return policy allows someone to pick up the raw cards at a reasonable price and it will allow the buyer to see if the cards grade well. If so, the buyer can realize a nice profit or they can return the card (within the 30 day period) and get their money back.

I've heard a lot of different opinions on how long sellers should honor a return. I've heard people use the words "lifetime". That seems a bit excessive. This thread could turn into one of those threads where people opine what they feel is a reasonable return policy or it will just drop to the bottom of the pile...

Old 11-25-2006, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

With ungraded cards, a legitimate dealer will allow the buyer to return the card is there if something signficantly wrong with the card-- trimmed, recolored, etc. If a buyer wants a special condition/special time frame deal, he can talk to the seller about that before purchase or bidding. There's nothing wrong with asking. If a buyer wants a guarantee that a card will grade PSA 8, he can purchase a PSA 8.

If you purhased a raw card that was soon after judged to be altered and ungradable by SGC, a legitimate dealer would allow a return/refund.

As far as fakes go (sold a reprint instead of advertised real T206 Cobb), a reputable seller will give you your money back. If you wait 6 years to return, the dealer may not remember the sale or card, but he would allow return of a fake after 30 days.

If you ask and find out who are reputable Pre-War card sellers, the ones with good reputations amongst fellow collectors, you should have no problem, whether or not the number 30 is in their return policy.

Consignment auctioneers, include reputable ones, typically have shorter return periods as they are on a tight schedule. They are selling the items for other people, people expect to get their dough asap.

Old 11-25-2006, 11:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

i agree with lee that you shouldnt bid on anything if you dont like the way it looks. if its that big a deal that you might return it, then you should seek an auction house where you can view the cards first. otherwise you should pass on the card. i've passed on several cards because i didnt like the way they looked then come to find out some other board member got a great deal because so many others thought the same thing. oh well, our loss!

Old 11-26-2006, 07:43 AM
Administrator

It all comes down to the fact that no auction house is going to give you 30 days. If you really want the item, then you should bid to win. If you are looking for 30 days, you aren't going to be going to an auction house, because the don't exist with any type of quality with a 30 day warranty to my knowledge. Some places as before said by other people here is you may be able to get your money back for an altered card around 30 days, but that is about it. I wouldn't even hold your breath on that either. Really If you are this worried, buy graded cards, which are a bit safer, but more expensive.

Edited to add:
Most auction houses want to earn their money, but don't need to cater to people with such an open ended return policy. If you don't like their rules and don't bid because of them, then there is always another person in line to buy the same card/lot. This means you lose out.

Lee

Old 11-26-2006, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Larry

First, Neiman Marcus buys their items from their suppliers/manufactures or vendors, when you return something to them, they just deduct it in their credit allowance from their vendor so they are out nothing, collectibles is way different, that example is ridiculous.

Our e bay policy has been amended due to abuse from collectors that used our liberal returns to their advantage by shopping graded cards between grading services to get bumps and would try to return after.

On raw cards, we still offer 30 day returns on any items we sell that come back trimmed, altered or recolored since we try to screen that and disclose anyway.

On graded cards, we do not accept returns anymore unless the item has a major hidden problem not noticed, then we will send it back to the grading service for their 2nd opinion. If they deem the grade acceptable, then that is final, if they do not, we will refund in full & include shipping.

I understand some collectors cannot see the card close and are at a disadvantage, we try to describe card accurately and most of the time we are correct. Sometimes, we do make an occasional error and we will correct those situations. Unfortunately the way e bay works and auction houses work, we cannot police every card and why we pay $13 or more per card to get them 3rd party graded. If item was consigned and consignors do not accept returns from us other then previously stated reason, we are caught in the middle.
Generally, PSA & SGC grading services undergrade or are accurate, very rarely do we get cards slabbed higher than we figured, that is just our experience with over 6000 transactions.

Old 11-26-2006, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Dear Guys,

I appreciate your input. I'll be frank with you guys. It's especially true with internet auctions. It's much easier for me to gauge the condition of a raw baseball card than a card inside a card holder. You can scan both sides of a slabbed card but you still do not get the same clarity as a card in raw condition. But with a raw card I want to hold it in my hand and look at it from different angles to make sure the colors are right and the photo is properly registered. 30 days would help, but I would settle for 15 days.

At any rate guys, I'm two cards short of 'completing a '57 Topps set and I'm already thinking of pursuing an earlier vintage set. I pretty much can't afford a T-206 or a '52 Topps. Any suggestions.

PETER

Old 11-26-2006, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Peter,

I understand the fact that you like to see the card and examine it, I do too. The key is just buying from people you trust.

At any rate, you could do T206 if you wished. You don't have to do the whole set, you could collect just rarer backs, a certain team, HOF, non-HOF, a certain condition, a certain pose such as a portrait, ect. I started just collecting T206 black sox and cubs, but once I got into it I could not resist going after the whole set!

Best of Luck,
Lee

Old 11-28-2006, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Gentlemen,

Although E-bay charges the lowest fees, it appears that the warranties provided by their sellers is close to being the best. To me, that's a shame. The auctioneers can do better.

Peter

Old 11-28-2006, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

peter the 1941 play ball is a great set and is not to hard to complete. the 34-36 diamond stars is also in that same league. both are pentiful in mid grade on ebay(raw and slabbed)in so far as pre-ww1 cards i like to buy low to mid grade hall of famers because to complete on my budget is impossible. same goes for 33 goudey,buy the players or poses that you like