NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-04-2002, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Default Sloate Auction Stuff

Posted By: ephuspitch

The Sloate Auction is only a few days from closing(closing 3/7, www.thebaseballpage.com/sloateauction).

As I've said before, the high-grade Ramly's in the auction belong to me, so bid 'em UP, as I plan to spend whatever I get on more cards.
Some of the mid-grade T206 HOFers in the auction are mine, too. I'd talk these lots up, but since they are already entombed by SGC, there isn't much to say.

What I HAVEN'T said before is that Barry Sloate is my neighbor here in Brooklyn, and I've been over to his house a couple of times to hand over consignments or to just talk about the hobby. He's been very helpful to me in learning about the hobby (has given me old VCBCs and such), and has given me a first-hand look at some cards that I would never in my lifetime be able to afford. And I can say that the Boston Garter in this auction pretty much took my breath away. It's awesome. What I didn't know about those cards was how much text they had on the back. What a fun, colorful, oddball bit of baseball history.

I also got to see a little bit of the other stuff up close and personal, too ... the Cubs panorama is huge ... much bigger than I thought. and the "Dog's Head" is smaller than I thought. I guess I thought those cards were as big as T3s, for some reason, but as you probably know, they aren't. The album of 1869 cabinet photographs are out of this world. I really can't imagine how much they are going to cost someone, but they look like they should be in Cooperstown or something.

Anyway, it was fun to talk to such a nice, knowledgeable guy. Good luck to all of you who are bidding on some of the more exotic stuff in his auction.

Old 03-04-2002, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

I'm not a neighbor of Barry's and don't own any of the stuff in the action, but will testify that some of the photographs offered are museum quality. I'd point out which ones, but I plan of placing bids.

Old 03-04-2002, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I saw that Cubs panorama at the 1987 national in SF. It's very impressive to say the least and caused quite a stir. Not sure but think rumors of it's existance had been flying prior to that and that show was sort of its coming out party. Too bad the pic on the site is so blurry.

Jay

Old 03-05-2002, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I am high on 3 things as of now, probably won't stay that way, so ya'll back off and let a poor ole Texas fella win something......none a that dang sniping at the end .....ya hear?? regards all

Old 03-05-2002, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

Okay, me too...Please don't anyone else snipe Leon but me. I'm just a poor Texan whose snipes always get out-sniped!

Old 03-05-2002, 11:15 AM
Administrator

I'm gonna snipe you both just because you are Texas. If you were from any other state, I'd let it slide, but...

Jay

Old 03-05-2002, 12:36 PM
Administrator

lol

Old 03-05-2002, 02:13 PM
Administrator

More prrof that Texans don't know the proper spelling of thier language

Jay

Old 03-05-2002, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Well Jay,
You might want to proofread your posts before you start throwing rocks in glass houses and don't worry we Texans can all take some good ribbin'.....hey, I am ecstastic....I just consummated a deal that I don't have yet.....so won't say much more except it is the only one known...... regards all.....

Old 03-05-2002, 05:36 PM
Administrator

I too can not spell for crap regards

Old 03-06-2002, 01:35 AM
Administrator

lol

Old 03-06-2002, 09:01 AM
Administrator

but at least I'm not a Texan

Old 03-06-2002, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I gave it to them for putting me up for about 3 days when I was visiting my sister, who lives about a block away.

I wanted to give them something older than anything they had. "Julie, it's the oldest thing in the house." Makes me feel good.

Julie