NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-17-2014, 09:51 PM
Scott R.

Default Question regarding authenticated checks

I've come across a few authenticated checks recently (Ruth in particular), in which the signature itself is much more bold than the rest of the written portion of the check.

My first assumption is that someone else is writing the checks, then Ruth is simply signing them. Is that usually the case?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:22 PM

No, it's not usually the case. In fact, I'd say it's quite rare to find a Ruth check he himself did not fill out.

And who the hell needs to have checks authenticated? Talk about throwing your money away.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:44 AM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Ruth rarely, if ever , did not completely fill out his checks.
Seeing some pictures of those checks you are talking about could help.
Only authenticate ,in my opinion, if you wish to spend the money, or "have peace of mind", or wish to resell to give your buyer "peace of mind".
Old 12-18-2014, 08:42 AM
Scott R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
Ruth rarely, if ever , did not completely fill out his checks.
Seeing some pictures of those checks you are talking about could help.
Only authenticate ,in my opinion, if you wish to spend the money, or "have peace of mind", or wish to resell to give your buyer "peace of mind".
Here's an example...and there's been a few on ebay recently (and one currently). Here's the link...sorry, couldn't post the actual photo.

http://iconicauctions.com/Babe_Ruth_...-LOT39306.aspx
Old 12-18-2014, 08:45 AM
Scott R.

And fwiw, I only mentioned that the check were authenticated so that this didn't turn into one of "those" threads
Old 12-18-2014, 09:01 AM
Jeff P0tter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsiders View Post
Here's an example...and there's been a few on ebay recently (and one currently). Here's the link...sorry, couldn't post the actual photo.

http://iconicauctions.com/Babe_Ruth_...-LOT39306.aspx
That one is definitely filled out in a hand other than Ruth, which you don't see as often. Nice signature though.
Best,
Jeff
Old 12-18-2014, 01:34 PM
Michael I.

There is a place in Caire Ruths book about her life with the Babe where she says something to the effect she would make out the checks (Babe still signed them) due to the fact he would spend money everywhere. She also Said she wroth alot of 50 dollar checks for him as spending money...I have seen checks made out like that in someone elses hand but Ruth, But he always signed them. I would be a little more cautious of a check that appears made out to Ruth that has his signature on the reverse as I have seen posts here of people getting burned that way. Just my two cents. Seen a check or two from Cobb as well made out by someone other than him but it was also then signed by Cobb himself.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:41 PM

She might have said that, but every $50 Ruth check I've ever seen--and they are VERY common--was filled out by the Babe.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:03 PM
Michael I.

Was looking at Ruth check pictures and they pretty much all appear made out by the babe, Had questions about this one what do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sc_ruthcheck.jpg (42.9 KB, 139 views)
Old 12-18-2014, 02:15 PM

Actually, Michael, I stand corrected. That one ^ was filled out by Claire.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:45 PM
Belltown Vintage

Mike, when in doubt, look for capital letters in the other part of the check, such as 'T', 'F', 'S', 'R' or 'B'. Then compare to: 'To', 'From', 'Sincerely', 'Babe' or 'Ruth'.

It should be obvious even without doing this, but I recently purchased a counter-check that was not filled in by Ruth, but the auction house thought it was. There are plenty of people who are fooled by handwriting if they want it to be something it isn't, even when there was no attempt at forgery.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:31 PM
Michael I.

How about small e? in alot of ruth handwriting I have seen the e is like a slanted w am I saying it right? is that something to look for as well? I hope I am making sense in what I am asking. Almost looks like a capital e but smaller

Last edited by w7imel; 12-18-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:38 PM
Michael I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Actually, Michael, I stand corrected. That one ^ was filled out by Claire.
I am only a little fimiliar with claire's wrihting style. Not able to find enough examplers but the C and the small e is what caught my attention. The writing seemed shaky as well to where the babes writhing always looked so perfect at least to me. Not sure if its me but Ruth and mantles signatures always elegant. Almost like they took great pride in everything they signed! JMO
Old 12-18-2014, 03:55 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7imel View Post
How about small e? in alot of ruth handwriting I have seen the e is like a slanted w am I saying it right? is that something to look for as well? I hope I am making sense in what I am asking. Almost looks like a capital e but smaller
I was trying to keep it simple. The 'T' and 'F' are the easiest for those who have trouble with handwriting recognition. You can also look at a 'G' or 'H' and compare to a 'Geo H Ruth' signature.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:14 PM
Michael I.

Scott simple is sometimes best for me...haha I had discovered the G on my own sometime back. You guys forgive me if I ask too many question. A little back ground....I have been a collector all my life little stuff mostly (was a little nervous about the bigger autos, ruth cobb maris ect. I was burned on a ruth earlier in life and vowed to never let that happen again) but up until I had found this site earlier in the year I had no one to bounce questions and ideas off of. The internet and its unlimited amount of examples help but that only goes so far. You guys are like this huge library of autograph information that most people will never have access to and I greatly appreciate it!
Old 12-19-2014, 01:48 PM
Michael I.

This one too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Babe-Ruth-Cash-50.jpg (20.6 KB, 83 views)