NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Default Interesting Website re: Letters between Burdick and Carter

Posted By: Dan Bretta

http://www.oldbaseball.com/refs/burdickletters.html

A fun read for those interested in the hobby pioneers.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Thanks for posting the link. For anyone interested in the history of our beloved hobby, before the God forsaken money, this is some great reading....best regards

Old 03-27-2007, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

This should be required reading for the so-called self-proclaimed "backbone of the hobby" guys who look down at their noses at guys who are in the hobby for all the right reasons.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

So Nagy was willing to pony up $150 for his Wagner against a book value of $50. See what happens when you overpay? When he was forced to sell it, he only got $450,000 for it.

The book Orem was writing in 1961 was "Baseball 1845-1881." He had to publish it himself and it had poor distribution. But it is a classic reference book and every collector should have a copy of it. It's on ebay pretty regularly if you don't have one (should set you back about $35 or so).

Old 03-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark L

Barry,
I was especially impressed by how much the card had appreciated in the first 10 years. When I first met Nagy, in 1971, he told me that someone that very day had offered to trade him a new station wagon for his Wagner. I think he also said that someone once offered him several thousand dollars for it, but he didn't think it was a serious offer.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

$150 for an old baseball card in 1961 was a big leap. Only someone really committed to the hobby would have taken the plunge.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Good thing he didn't trade the card for the car.

The money the card brought today could almost get you a 1955 Mercedes 300SL with the gull wings. That's better than a station wagon!

Old 03-28-2007, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Barry,

It's not a matter of overpaying or underpaying and it's not a matter of money. It's a matter of being one step ahead of the next hot collectible. I rant and rave about it all the time.

Just use your hobby experience and common sense. A case in point is the T206 Wagner that just sold for 2.35 million. Let's say we just saw that sale go through. I would look at the fact that it took approximately 7 yrs. for the Wagner to almost double in value.

My next investment move would be to sell my T206 Hall of Famers, the reason for this is that most of my Hall of Famers more than doubled during the 7 year span. So instead of seeing the sale of the Wagner as a bullish sign, I would look at that as a sign to sell.

Also, I would not at the sale of the Wagner as a sign that I should be buying T206 commons. If T206 Hall of Famers are going down then pre-war guys will be buying T206 commons.

Barry, am I way off base here.

Peter

Old 03-28-2007, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Peter- I've never been real good at predicting the ups and downs of the card market. I just buy 'em and sell 'em.

But if you bought a Wagner for $150 and sold it 40 years later for $450,000, it looks like you did quite well.