NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Default Recent pickup: History of Athletics at Princeton book

Posted By: Keith

Hey guys,

At a flea market this weekend, I picked up a large book entitled Athletics at Princeton, A History. The book is copyrighted in 1901. It contains team photos of all of there sports teams dating from the 1860s or 70's to 1900, with most of the pages dedicated to baseball and football. Also it contains boxscores for every baseball game played, as well as that for the football team. A pretty neat book, especially for me because of my vintage photo interest.

The book does have some major condition issues with a very poor binding. The back cover is completely unattached (though still present, and the front is very loose. I was curious if any of the collectors on here have had a book restored/rebound. If so, does anyone have an approximate cost on this?

Overall it was a good day at the flea market, with pickups including this book and 16 1940's college pennants at a buck a piece!

Here are some photos,
thanks guys, KJ

?t=1183343147

?t=1183343171

Old 07-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

KJ

I've had many books rebound, as well as many more with new endpapers.

The price depends on condition and thus the amount of work needed, but I would think my restorer would charge $80 t0 $100 to rebind that book.

Max

Old 07-03-2007, 05:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

KJ- my copy is also falling apart. I guess they did not bind them well, and the books are also quite heavy which puts stress on them. I agree with Max that its value is in the $75-100 range, but it is a great reference with many plates and lots of historical data.

Oops, Max's reference was to the cost of binding, and not to the value of the book.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

No doubt many notable people attended Princeton during those years. Woodrow Wilson was an undergrad, though I don't believe he played sports.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith

Thanks guys for the informative replies. The value of the book might not make it worthwhile in a collectible sense to have it rebound, but I think I may anyway just so that I don't have to be so cautious when looking through it.

KJ

Old 07-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Two weekends ago I went to a birthday party at the house of Princeton grad and was given the high honor of having my coffee given to me in his Princeton coffee mug. When I was first given the orange mug and vaguely saw a college logo, I thought it was a University of Illinois (I grew up in Big Ten country and Illini is also orange). Luckily I didn't vocalize my first impression or I might have been booted from the house.