NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-22-2016, 07:56 PM

Default c1909 Cowboys and Track Runners....Show your sports related theatrical posters

photo c1909 Going Some Poster T_zpslxbc12de.jpg

I picked up this c1909 theatrical poster a few weeks ago at the Old West Show in Grass Valley CA...I first saw this poster at the Hillsborough Antiques Show about five...maybe even seven years ago...The idea of sports and cowboys together was unique and I was taken with it...I asked the price and he goes $900.00 but I could do $800.00...way out of the stratosphere...so I walked...but I got his card...had a big antiques store in L.A...One day I was in L.A. and went there...still had the poster...still wanted a million dollars...I didn't even make an offer we seemed so far apart...and I left without it...

photo Going Some By Truck_zpsb9pj84pw.jpg

So a few weeks ago I went to the Old West Show..I had prearranged to meet a dealer there to buy a high powered piece...I had a little money left so shopped the show...and what do I see...there's this poster again...same dealer...Only this time he was asking $500.00...still too much and I walked...So finished the show and was getting ready to leave and figured I'd give it a shot...I pointed out the wear and tear and told him I'd go $300.00...he said he could do $400.00....I said I was good for $300...he said...cash?...I said yeah and I owned it...

This is my second theatrical poster in 30 years...You have to remember the theater was huge back then...Although silent movies were just taking off when this play was running around 1909...people flocked to theaters to watch live shows...As I understand it theater posters of this era were often over the top hyperbowl to hook you into seeing the play...I learned "Going Some" was also a book...So either the book was based on the play or the play was based on the book...

photo Stitch_zpstarjdoap.jpg

I was able to find the plot on line and string together a few things about the production...From what it says at the top: "THE NEW YORK BELASCO THEATER SUCCESS"...this poster was probably from when the show went on the road...and I did find a reference to it being performed in Chicago and San Francisco and Oakland CA...At the bottom there appears to be the remnants of an attachment that may have advertised the details of a given performance...which would have been different in each city...

The play was a comedy and the plot seems to have revolved around two guys that go to a ranch in New Mexico that was expecting a runner and his trainer that would run a race to win back a phonograph that the ranch hands had lost in a bet to a neighboring ranch...The two falsely make themselves out to be the the runner they were expecting and I guess mischief and hilarity follow...best I can make out anyways...I guess phonographs on ranches then were a big deal...I suppose because there was no radio....

I found one reference that there was a musical version that played somewhere that included Joe. E. Brown in one of the principle parts...He went on to be a big movie star in the 20's and 30's...but would have probably been unkown in 1909...Joe E. Brown apparently played semi-pro baseball and it's reported he turned down an offer to play for the Yankees...and later he did three baseball movies...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 05-22-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:25 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Hey there Carlton,

That's another great item! Great acquisition!!
I hope all is well with you.

Brent
Old 05-23-2016, 11:02 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

About 15 years ago I had a Gentleman Jim Corbett theatrical poster. Long gone though.

Tom C
Old 05-23-2016, 01:20 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Wrestling is fake; does this count?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...