NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-28-2006, 03:03 AM
Administrator

Default Memory Lane's Stance on Hobby Issues

Posted By: JimCrandell

JP,

We would appreciate it if you could address the issues discussed in a similar matter as done by Clean Sweep, Mastro and others.

Thanks for your time.

Jim

Old 11-30-2006, 01:18 PM
Administrator

I havwe e-mailed Memory Lane twice and called JP once. I know JP and consider him an honest dealer--just must not wqant to get involved.

Fair to say he will notr respond at this point.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Colt McClelland

Jim - Are you starting to see a pattern here? No one wants to subject themselves to your witch hunt, and I certainly don't blame them.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: shane

Oh great Jim. Brian does not respond and he gets beat down like a step sister and JP and others don't respond and that is going to be okay.
Colt- I am glad JP and others aren't responding to this BS. I feel very badly for Drent.
SL

Old 11-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

Considering the large sums I have spent in their auctions over the past 2 years, I feel I have a right to know what Memory Lane's policy is on card alteration/restoration. No need to respond here, but why not list it in your catalog or send an e-mail to those on your bidder list. God knows they send a million e-mails every time their auctions start, have a week left, five days left, three days left etc...

Frank

Old 11-30-2006, 05:55 PM
Administrator

And while I am listing all the good things that have and may come out of this I will add that there may well be the type of disclosure that Frank suggests.

Jim

Old 01-06-2007, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Um...

I think NOW maybe Jim deserves an answer to his question?

Old 01-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

And as before, I bet no response is forthcoming.

Old 01-06-2007, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Not sure you can put Brian Drent into the category of JP Cohen. Considering the issues outstanding in Brian's auction which are part of another thread, there is no way he could come on here and discuss either that or anything else related to his business -- it would be legal suicide. It is completely unfair to lump him in wtih the issues surrounding Memory Lane and JP Cohen. Assuming that is the same JP Cohen noted in the article Greg posted, what can he even be expected to say out here? That his past is his past and he's no longer involved in fraud? Of course that is all he can say. It's up to everyone in the card community to determine on their own whether or not they trust him and his company. As for Leon's very rough analogy regarding his own past, honestly, at least for me, I don't believe that such a conviction at all relates to someone's honesty today. Indeed, the Federal Rules of Evidence agree with me: should Leon testify at a trial, his 20 year old conviction for a crime for something not related to fraud or dishonesty would not be considered an appropriate area of cross examination today on the issue of Leon's inclination to tell the truth.

Old 01-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I don't lie because I can't keep up with the truth...let alone remembering what lies I have told. I just don't do it....live and learn my friends.

Old 01-06-2007, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Crandell

Jeff,

I agree with you on all counts.

Best course of action for him would be to say that I did this in the past, I was wrong, and I did my time.

Then he needs to convince people he is an honest dealer and answer the questions on card restoration that were asked of him.

Jim

Old 01-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

What's the point of all this (not limited to this particular thread), other than to (1) potentially defame people [as I have been with those imbeciles on the Beckett boards with this nonsense]; and/or (2) to make all of us doubt the legitimacy of any of the cards in any one of our collections???

What am I missing???

Old 01-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Crandell

Cobby,

To put a stop to card restoration or at least the most extreme forms of it.

Jim

Old 01-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Jim- as much as I support your effort to weed out these card doctors, I don't see them stepping forth to put their heads under a guillotine such as Network54. If I were altering cards, I would stay as far away from us as possible.

Old 01-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Barry,

You and I and a few others will figure it all out at our dinner in a couple of weeks--will be back to you no later than Monday on time and place.

Jim

Old 01-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Jim- if we can get this all worked out over one dinner the hobby will owe us a debt of gratitude!

Old 01-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Barry,

I agree on the debt of gratitude--I won't hold my breath though waiting for some Net54 member to thank me.

Jim

Old 01-06-2007, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

Thank you!

Old 01-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Administrator

See, your thank you came one minute after you posted! With all that has been going on on the board in the last few days, we may have to have a very long dinner. I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Barry,

Our dinner is not to be missed. We will I think have a very interesting person joining us--e-mail me for details. After hearing from him I feel and knowing the quality of the other people I feel positive about the whole effort.

Jim

Old 01-06-2007, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I'll thank you too Jim.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Thanks guys--we will try our hardest--remember everyone is welcome to participate.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

maybe all the people that do respond are honest dealers with nothing to hide and those that dont, do so to remain vague so that they can subjectively change it whenever they want. Or maybe they dont think this forum is the proper outlet. If thats so it would be nice to see them pay some attention to this subject on their webpage or a place of their choice.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

From "The Settlement"

The stipulated order for permanent injunction announced today resolves the litigation against Cohen. The order bans him from further fundraising activities, and from engaging in future telemarketing, and it prohibits Cohen from making misrepresentations in connection with the sale of goods or services.

Hmmm, if it is the same guy, seems like selling altered cards would violate his plea bargain.

Frank